Help with Tuscany / Florence portion of trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip begins in Rome and ends in Venice. We have 7 days between the two, and plan on going to Tuscany and Florence. We plan on traveling by train, and only using a rental car for the few days we are in Tuscany. Train from Rome to Chiusi and staying in or near Montepulciano. My husband and friend have driven stick shift but haven't done so in years. Will practice with a friend who owns a stick shift currently. Driving will be kept to a minimum in the general area where we are staying. There are 5 of us.

I was in Italy 7 years ago (first and only time) and when in Tuscany stayed near Pienza. Visited there as well as Montalcino, San Quirico, and Bagno Viigoni. Sister in law has spent time in Cortona. Husband, son, and our friend have never been to Italy so have no opinion.

I am thinking of traveling to Chiusi from Rome and arriving by noon or so. Picking up a car and spend that day plus 3 additional days in Tuscany. That allows for spending day of arrival (morning) plus one full day in Florence. That doesn't give us much time in Florence, but I think several days in Tuscany might be needed for rest and relaxation given the rest of the trip will be done in cities.

I am torn between spending 3 1/2 days near Montepulciano and 1 1/2 days in Florence. I would love to check out Montepulciano and don't necessarily care where else I go in that area. So beautiful that I don't mind re-visiting places I've been. I will be seeing Italy through the eyes of my husband and son who have never been there. I know there are some abbeys and small hill towns worth visiting besides the obvious ones I mentioned above.

OR, I could cut southern Tuscany by one day and add it on to Florence. My SIL has suggested visiting San Gimignano. Due to the fact that we don't care to do much driving (5 people and luggage in a car) it makes more sense to do a day trip from Florence if SG is thrown into the mix. And, there are more options for day trips from Florence. The guys could take a train to Pisa (SIL and I have been there) and we could go to SG, for example.

I will discuss more in depth with all in my traveling party, but would appreciate thoughts from Fodorites. We are open to all ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 07:06 PM

I would arrange the Hertz rental through Autoeurope, using their toll-free number. Train tickets can be purchased here, 4 months ahead for the best fares:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

I would stay near Pienza, because it is midway between Monticchiello and Montepulciano to the east, and San Quirico d'Orcia and Montalcino to the west.

Sg is not an easy day trip from Firenze as you need to take 2 buses going back and forth.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 07:39 PM

When are your traveling? Which week in the year?

It sounds to me like you are worrying too much about the driving and also would very much like to relax and linger in the Tuscany countryside instead of Florence, while not depriving your sister-in-law of what she wants to do. Also, do any of you really want to go to Florence? If you'd all rather visit the Tuscan countryside, skip it. Might make things easier. Either just drive on to Venice or drop off the car at the Florence airport and take the train to Venice.

But if you want to go to Florence, and your sister-in-law wants to see San Gimignano, consider seeing it on the way to Florence. If you leave the Pienza/Montepulicano area in the morning, you can drive to San Gimignano and get there before lunch. The town is very small, so you don't need much time to tour it.

If you want, after lunch, drive to Pisa, see the monuments and then drop off the car at the Florence airport and take the bus into the city. You can find online precise directions about how to drive to the parking lots in Pisa that are near the tower. However, if no one is begging to go to Pisa, skip it.

But it is possible that your sister-in-law has suggested San Gimignano because she has only heard of that one town and thinks there is nothing else to do or see in the countryside. There are many other unique small towns in that area which are closer to the Montepuliciano/Pienza area, and if she can be happy visiting some of those places, maybe you can take San Gimignano out of the mix. Might be worth getting your hands on a Tuscany photo book and map to see if you can tempt her with a substitute, or have her look online

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allt...in-val-dorcia/

http://www.wanderingitaly.com/maps/v...l#.VoINQNzoa2w
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you RonZ and sandralist for your very helpful suggestions.

I really do want to see Florence, even if it is only for 2 days. And I think relaxing in the countryside would be fine with everyone vs. driving all over. The thought of 5 people crammed into a small car with their luggage and a driver or two who haven't used stick shift in 30+ years is not very appealing!

My SIL is so happy to be returning to Tuscany that I know she won't mind skipping San Gimignano. I just wanted to see if it was easily do-able and worth it.

Again, thank you for your suggestions!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:01 AM

One more suggestion is: Don't get a small car. You may need a larger car to make sure you luggage has enough space anyway. But all of you should feel comfortable in those seats, and it is worth the added $$ per day for 3 days to be comfortable and enjoy the drives.

It is possible these days to get SUVs in Italy. Just make sure you work it out over the phone with the car rental company -- not just book online -- if you are picking up the car in Chiusi. Suggesting to that if you book a large car for pick up in Chiusi, then call the Chiusi office 24 hours ahead of the pickup to confirm the car will be waiting for you. That gives them enough time to get a car there if somebody forgot or thought you wouldn't care.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:13 AM

PS: Don't fret too much about the stick. Most people don't forget how to do it once they've learned. It all comes back.

HOWEVER: Before you pull out of the parking lot of the rental office, the driver/drivers should make sure he/she/they fully understand how to put the car in reverse and also release the emergency brake, so you know how to back up a hill using the emergency brake and not mistakenly roll forward.

In general in Italy, I try not to park nose down on a hill, unless I am leaving the front of the car right up against a fat curb or wall. Otherwise, I've too often I've come back to my parked car on a hill to find a motorcycle or another car parked right at my front bumper, and backing the car up hill to get out becomes tricky -- and if you are in an unfamilar rental car, even trickier.

But otherwise, the manuevers needed driving a manual will feel like second nature.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Add siena to the mix
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 06:28 AM

You might want to get two cars. It going to be hard to fit 5 plus luggage in one car and the smaller car you have the better for driving the narrow streets in the hilltowns.

Important- you need to arrive before the noontime closure of the rental office!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:58 AM

If you drop off the car at the Florence or Pisa airport, the office hours are continuous, plus you avoid any risk of the dreaded ZTL in those cities, where you can inadvertantly drive through a "residents-only" zone on your way to the rental office, and whacked with a penalty find of hundreds of euros.

The Chiusi office may stay open until 1pm -- but you should of course double check. And I hope one or more of you will have cell phones, because if your train to Chiusi is delayed (unlikely), if you call the rental office they will often wait for you. And if you take the advice to get 2 cars, you need at least 2 cell phones.

Most Italian SUVs are built for narrow Italian streets and the real advantage of a tiny car is being able to use smaller parking spaces, or to occasionally split up and go your separate ways in different cars. But depending on what size you all are as people, 2 small cars may mean that 1 person is always stuck in the back seat (or you are rotating the discomfort). Were it me with 5 people, I would probably be inclined to rent one large SUV-type car, but talk it over with AutoEurope on the phone, and go with whatever was recommended, 1 large or 2 smaller cars. But I would still try to limit everybody to 1 carry on plus one tote, just like the airlines.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 10:18 AM

The Hertz office is open weekdays 9 to 12:30 and 3:30 to 7; Saturdays AM only and Sunday closed.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful information. It's all very useful.

I spoke to my SIL and it turns out she HAS been to San Gimignano. It was a quick visit (1/2 a day). She said she is fine with anywhere we go in Tuscany. So, I've decided to stick with the original plan of staying and touring around the Val d'Orcia area, visiting Montepulciano and some of the smaller towns in the area.

Perhaps on another trip I can spend more time in Florence and visit Siena and SG, etc.

Thanks, again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue planning!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Uh, oh....just realized that we were planning on arriving on Sunday from Rome and RonZ said above that Hertz office is closed on Sunday. Are all the rental companies closed on Sundays?
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Hi buffalogirl, my DD and SIL stayed at this property in Chiusi last year for a couple of nights and loved it. Just throwing it into the mix.

https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury...e5fd1.81990241

They weren't driving and caught a cab from the train station at Chiusi. Anyway, maybe you could just have a lazy afternoon there and pick up the car in Monday morning.

And I second the suggestions to get two cars or a small suv. Your trip sounds great, I'm a teeny bit envious
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, cathies. We may just have to take a taxi and go back on Monday.

Do you know if we can you rent a car in Rome on Sunday? It's not my first choice, as I've done that once before when traveling with my brother and sister-in-law. That was quite the fiasco, but I guess it's an option to consider.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:51 PM

You could probably rent one at Rome airport. There's no way I'd drive out of Rome itself.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

cathies - actually, we rented it in the Rome airport - that's where the fiasco was!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:06 PM

Buffalogirl- Just wanted to drop in and give you my 2 cents.

Consider what it is the first-time visitors would really like to do.. do they like history? Art? Architecture? They might like very much to spend more time "in the cities".

I love Florence (will be there for 10 days of a 3-week trip this May). There is much to see and do in Florence. Great walks around town, craftsmen/women of all sorts (gold, leather, furniture, etc); beautiful views from the hill on the south side of the city; the Duomo, Santa Croce (where you can see the final resting place of Michelangelo, Galileo, Rossini, Machiavelli, etc); the Uffizi Gallery and, of course, Michelangelo's David in the Accademia.

Two days wouldn't even put a dent into Florence. You might want to at least talk it over with your travel group.

Additionally, what about not renting a car at all? Why not consider training to Florence upon arrival and basing there? (It is 90 minutes by bullet train.) Hire a guide with a van to take you all out for a day into Tuscany. It couldn't be much more than you're going to pay for a car(s). Many tour guides will let you "design" your tour. (If you've not seen the Abbey at Mount Oliveto Maggiore.. it is fabulous. http://www.monteolivetomaggiore.it/lang1/)

Anyway, food for thought. It does not sound like you have much time in Italy. So, limiting accommodations to two cities could be very beneficial in contributing to that "relaxation".

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fabulous trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM

PS Hiring a guide lets everyone sample the wine.. no designated driver necessary.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM

Sorry buffalogirl, got myself a bit confused there.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 01:17 AM

Hi buffaogirl,

Call AutoEurope and see if there is an office in Rome that is open Sunday mornings. I would not hesitate to drive out of Rome on a Sunday morning if there is an office open. Otherwise, go to the airport to rent the car, OR take the train to Chiusi and get a taxi to Montepulciano. The 30 minute ride is about 50 euros. The next morning, pick up a car in Chiusi. (You can take a bus back.)

As much as I like Chiusi, it is not in the val d'Orcia, so I don't think it makes an optimal base for touring the val d'Orcia. I think you made a very persusive case for why you want to be in the val d'Orcia rather than Florence, and the scenery of the Chianti is not the same as the val d'Orcia.

If you are made of money, hiring a driver to take you around Tuscany is very plush. The cost of a private driver from Florence to the abbeys south of Siena is astronomical. But not only are you closer to those abbeys staying the val d'Orcia, it is also a lot of fun to go your own way in Tuscany. If you want to go wine tasting in mid-day, the driver only has to remember to spit and not swallow.

So call AutoEurope and see if you can get a car to rent in Rome on Sunday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -