Help with Tuscan Villa/Location Choice Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 couples planning to rent a villa in Tuscany this fall. After extensive searching, we have narrowed it down to three choices. All are terrific houses with the space, setting and amenities we want, but need advice on which location would be best:

- Southern Chianti, a bit south of Gaoile in Chianti
- 4 km north of Siena
- 10 km north east of Montepulciano

We like to get out each day, see sites and have a great lunch, then come home for cocktails by the pool and dinner. During our week there, we plan to spend at least 2 days doing wine visits (Chianti and Montalcino), see San G/Volterra, Lucca, Siena, Montelpuciano/Montalcino/Pienza, and possibly Umbria.

Any suggestions about which location might be best? Or even how to think about the choice...what are most critical factors to consider?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Will you have a cook at the villa?

Without posting links for the villa's it's impossible to tell how hard it will be to daytrip. Some villas are pretty remote. Have you tried entering routes on viamichelin or mappy.com?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM

For your specific agenda, I'd pick this one...

4 km north of Siena

Geographically, it's most central to your destinations and that is one of the "most critical factors to consider" IMO.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Good point on the links:

- 4km north of Siena: http://www.to-tuscany.com/ilvillino/

- Southern Chianti: http://www.to-tuscany.com/villasanmichele/

- 10km NE Montepulciano: http://www.villa-charme.com/viewprop...opertyid=11974

And we won't have a cook...just a brother in law who is great in the kitchen and a husband in the wine biz to ensure the vino flows freely!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM

We were in Tuscany for a week this past October and absolutely loved the <b>Val d'Orcia region</b> and would definitely base ourselves out of their next trip.

So...my vote is for Montepulciano.

There is enough to do between Montalcino, Montepulciano and Pienza to keep you busy and full of great vino, while allowing time to spend afternoons by your pool. Siena and Chianti can be 2 separate day trips.

Siena, although lovely, was a bit crowded and touristy for our tastes (took us an hour to find parking). So just one day there suited us fine. We did enjoy it there, but once we explored Val d'Orcia, we fell in love. Most of the photos in calendars, books, etc. of Tuscany are photographed from this region. Quintessential Tuscany!

Buon Viaggio...
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Doh

I agree that Val D'Orcia is nice, but I also agree that for the places you want to go and the schedule you want to have, it would probably be better to more central, near Siena. You might want to check out driving times to get a sense for what you're signing up for.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM

I think Siena is your best bet to tour Chianti, Montalpulciano and Montalcino.

We are also in the wine business and our goal each day is a long lunch a and winery tour. We are able to go over for a month at a time so we stay in a more remote location. But for a week or two, Siena is your best bet.

We and our gourmet group were in Chianti year before last and had great plans for dinner each night. As it turned out we would come &quot;home&quot; around 4 or 5, hang by the pool and finally get around to antipasta. Everyone had the best time.

There is wonderful new company that tours small vineyards in the Chianti and Montalcino. We sell there wines in our shop and we've toured with Antonio the last two years..... absolutely spectacular. If you are in the wine business (and not already committed to wineries) you should contact them. Here is the tour site: smallvineyardstravel.com AND here is the total portfolio: svimports.com.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I agree---I like the Villino location best. Have you checked reviews at slowtrav.com to see if there may be input there?