Help with travel to Greece

Jun 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Help with travel to Greece

We are looking into traveling to Greece next Summer. I have done some research on Athens and some of the Greek isles but since there are so many options I thought I would post to see what people recommend. We would be traveling probably in May-June for 9nights.

We love relaxing on islands and are planning this trip to still have the islands but also some history as well.
We definitely want to stay in Oia in Santorini. We would like to pair at least 1-2 other islands if time allows as well as 1-2 nights in Athens.

We don't really like museums but would enjoy seeing some historic sites. We prefer to stay in upscale hotels. Quiet places(not into partying on vacation), not too many tourists, restaurant options close by are all things which would be important to us.

Thanks for any help.
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM

You'll need at least 2 full days to explore Athens' main sites.

In Oia check out the Aspaki Suites, Oia Castle, Volcano's Villas, Chelidonia Villas, Aris Caves, Strogili Houses, Old Oia Houses, Delfini Hotel, Laokasti Villas, Atrina, La Perla Villas, 1864-The Sea Captain's House, Esperas, Oia Mare and Studios Margarita.

After Santorini you can stop at Paros or Naxos on your way back to Athens. I spend a few days on Paros earlier this month for the second time, rented a scooter and explored the island at my leisure. It's a lot of fun and an interesting way to see the island.
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM

travelcarib

May-June is an excellent time to travel to Greece; just the start of the season.

Your choice of Oia is fantastic. We stayed at Kirini ( at the time it was known as Katikies Suites), there are many upscale properties to consider in addition: the new Mystique( Starwood prop), Katikies hotel, Perivolas, etc. There are also lovely less expensive ones that posters here like to include: Oia Mare, Esperas, etc.

We did a 9 night trip: 3 nights Athens( I always consider the first day a complete wash, so hence, we never stay less than 3 nights anywhere), 3 night Santorini(I could spend years here!!) and 3 nights Crete ( Chania).

Each locale was so different than the next with all different kinds of offerings.

The very best source of info on this board is from brotherleelove. Look for his posts, he is most kind and helpful.

There was just an article in this months Travel and Leisure about lesser known( although known) Greek islands you might want to peruse.

We always stay upscale and so you should have no problem finding some really nice lux places to stay.

In Athens, that would be the Grand Bretagne or King George. In Crete, we loved Chania and we loved Casa Delfino( you can ask for the honeymoon suite; it was one of the largest rooms we've ever stayed in)

You'll love Greece!!!
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I see brotherleelove already responded; take his advice; it's always pretty much dead on!
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. We are really excited about Santorini and I have always been attracted to the pictures of Katikies but it seems like there are other great options too so I will definitely look into them. We really want a great balcony (not tiny) with an amazing view to enjoy breakfast every morning!

I have been looking at both Crete and Mykonos as other options but think Mykonos might be too crowded?? Not sure what all Crete has to offer so still need to do more research. I will also check on Paros.

Does anyone know much about the Intercontinental in Athens?

Also- what is Cyprus like?
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I went in May to Athens, Santorini and Mykonos. We loved Mykonos (as much as Santorini). We stayed in Platys Gialos which is a ten minute bus ride from the main town. The Hotel was Pelican Bay Art Hotel and we loved everything about it. Great hiking along the beaches. Very nice place.
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Travcarib, I agree on your choice of Oia, and as you state a preference for upscale hotels and a wish to see historic sites, Mykonos may be best for your second island. May/Jun is well outside the high season, so it shouldn't be too busy (no more than Santorini anyway). There are daily excursions (except Mondays) from there to the island of Delos, one of the best ancient sites in Greece. Mykonos has a good selection of upscale hotels, restaurants, and shops.

Should you decide on Paros, stay in Naoussa, from where you can take a day trip to Delos/Mykonos on Tue, Thu, and Sun.