Search

Help with Train Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Train Tickets

Hi,
I need help purchasing train tickets on the TrenItalia web site. I have poor italian and am having trouble determining which tickets are appropriate and most economical for my husband and I and our children (15, 11 and 6). I think my oldest needs and adult ticket so 3 adults and 2 children. Can anyone check the tickets on the site and let me know what I should choose? Grazie!
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM

IUnless you need to take a train soon after you land, I suggest you to wait until your arrival in Italy to buy tickets and book seats. Your oldest does need to buy a full fare ticket (intera), but since there are five of you you may be entitled to a serie of different discount fares. Give me a bit more details about your train itinerary (dates included) so that I may be able to give you some more details.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi jr,

You can't by your tickets online from Trenitalia outside Italy, if that's what you wished to do.

ALICE, I will be arriving on a Sunday morning (9:00 AM) and want to take the 12:30 ES* train from Rome to Florence.

Should I purchase my tickets before leaving? Somewhere else you mentioned that Sunday PM would be crowded.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:28 AM

I would book that one in advance. you might take the canche of not booking, yet: since the trip is not too long you may still travel by Intercity (slightly less comfortable, slightly slower and slightly cheaper). You might still be able to find yourself a seat (at least for most part of the trip) in first class. Intercity allow passengers without reservation. Also there are a few Interregionale (dirty cheap, quite uncomfortable and slow) that do not even allow seat booking on the Roma-Firenze line. Yet, after a long airplane trip I would book in advance, even if it costs more.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM
ira

Thank you, Alice.

I shall make the reservations from home.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Alice, we are arriving Milan May 26 and training to Venice May 27. I would like to do the 12:55 Eurostar. 3 adults and 2 children. Thanks for your help. J.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Allright, with two days to go you will centainly be able to book as you arrive in Italy (do it while you buy the train tickets to Milano from Malpensa!). As for the fees, you will probably need one full adult ticket for your 15 years old, one "offerta famiglia" for you two and one of the younger kids (who will travel for free) and one reduced-price kid ticket for the other kid. Yet, the guy behind the window will be able to sort it out better than I can.
I am writing in Italian what you need: copy and paste it and print it out. In case on that Euristar there are no more seats, you will be able to book on an Intercity train (it will cost you slightly more and it will be slightly slower, but the comfort is not much less) or the Cisalpino train, that will cost you even slightly more but which offers you a level of comfort that is equal to the Eurostar trains.

Biglietto e prenotazione dei posti sull'Eurostar delle 12.55 (o sull'Intercity delle 12,15 o sul Cisalpino delle 13,05) per cinque persone, non fumatori, prima/seconda [first/second, you choose] classe. Siamo due adulti e i nostri figli di 15, 11 e 6 anni.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM
ira

Hi Alice,
You are a great resource.

Can you help with this: If I buy a ticket on an ES* train in Italy do I pay an extra charge for the seat reservation?

If so, how much?

RailEurope charges $20 for each reservation.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Basically, I have travelled by train so much all through Italy that I have applied for a share in Trenitalia!!!

Seat reservation on Eurostar trains is inclused in the ticket price. On Intercity trains and all the other trains that allow seat booking in Italy (Espresso, Cisalpino) it costs 3 euro per person.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:48 AM
ira

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the reply. All of the agents I have found here in the US charge $20/seat for the reservation on ES*.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Question for Alice:
I am arriving in Milan May 26 (Monday) at Malpensa and would like to go immediately to Venice. I've been reading your replies and had planned to purchase tickets when I arrive. I am traveling alone and a little nervous. What do you suggest?
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Book at the arrival in Malpensa.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Alice, can you help another first time Italy traveler! Arrive Malpensa 8am, need to get to Varenna. Bus to Milan Central, train to Varenna (can we buy a ticket on arrival?) Don't want to hang around. Or shld we bus to como and take a boat over to Varenna? It's hard to decipher the boat site since I just started my Italian lessons. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM

Questions for Alice?

1. Looking for rail tickets from Lake Como to Venice on Wednesday July 28th. Is it better to take ES through Milan or IC direct? Which class would you suggest to select (1st or 2nd class seating)?

2. I would like to arrive in Florence from Venice by 12:30 on Saturday, July 31, to pick up my rental car. On www.trenitalia.com, notice a couple of time schedules (a.632-921 Venezia S. Lucia - Firenze S. M. Novella b. 08:44-11:21 Venezia Mestre-Firenze S. M. Novella). Which option would you select? I was thinking option b. so I would need to purchase tickets from Venezia S. Lucia to Venezia Mestre (10-11 minute travel time). Do you think the train will be pack from Venice to Florence? How much in advance should I book this rail tickets? Where would you purchase option b tickets? Thank you.