Help with the itinerary

Jun 6th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Linda

Help with the itinerary

I'd like a little help with my trip plans to Germany in August. We will have 8 full days of traveling by car, flying in and out of Frankfurt. The first night will be spent in Rudesheim with an afternoon boat trip on the Rhein. The next night in Rothenburg. From there I want to spend time in Munich, Salzburg and then to the Royal castles and back north with a possible stop in Heidelberg. Is this way too much? Do we need 2 nights in Munich and 2 nights in Salzburg? Thanks for any advice!

Jun 6th, 2001, 04:31 PM
scigirl

Linda,

Yes - it seems like much too much for 8 days. Maybe cutting this list of places to see in half would help. Spending only one or two nights at each stop is exhausting and NOT fun. It is no way to spend a vacation. Plus with travel time between stops little time is actually left for seeing Germany. I'd try to adjust the plan to allow a few 3 night or so stops, with maybe a day trip or one night stop once during the trip. I hope this helps. Once your plan develops completely you might post is back on the forum. You'll probably get very detailed feedback from people who are familar with the places you plan to visit. I hope this helps.

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Elaine

I would stick to Germany and leave Salzburg for a future trip when you can include Mathausen, an untouristy concentration camp, Vienna and all the beautiful backroads and quaint towns of Austria.
I agree that you are trying to cram too much into 8 days. Don't forget that your arrival day in Frankfurt will include the problem of jetlag. Is that when you were going to take the Rhine trip? Bring your pillow!
If you can't get a 3-4 hr. nap after arrival then realize you will feel "zombi-ish" by dinner. Rudeshiem isn't far so plan to catch some sleep.
Hope you aren't planning a round-trip boat ride. One way heading north is the best because the river current is that direction so the trip is faster. Take a train back to Bingen (hourly) then go with the pedestrians across to Rudesheim on the ferry (every 15 min.)

Jun 7th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Ann

Linda, must you fly in and out of Frankfurt? That is, if you can fly into Frankfurt and out of Munich, then you could reasonably see all of the places you mentioned. If you're stuck with departing from Frankfurt, no problem, but I, too, would recommend that you eliminate the Munich-castles-Salzburg leg and stay in central Germany. I don't mind moving every night if I have things I want to see/do, unlike some Fodorites, but I would say you don't need to stay 2 nights in Salzburg, and probably not 2 in Munich. Please let me know if you want a recommendation on itinerary to visit all those places in 8 days and I'll be glad to try to help.

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:19 PM
joe

Salzburg is a nice place but doesn't need two nights unless you're making side-trips.You could base in Munich and do Salzburg and the castles as day trips.

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Linda

Thanks for your responses. Our plan is to nap, regroup on day 1 in Rudesheim; Rhein cruise the next day. Then on to Rothenburg. How long will that take by car and how many stops might I want to make? I have 3 nights booked in Munich and will cancel staying in Salzburg for now so that we can take day trips. Would it be better to take a train from Munich into Salzburg for a day instead of driving there? (My husband and I are used to driving a lot on trips)
Thanks again!

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:47 AM
pam

My husband and I made a VERY similar trip 2 years ago except we did the reverse of your proposed itenerary. We flew in/out of Frankfurt and had 7 full days to explore Southern Germany and fit in most of what we wanted to do. You'll LOVE the boat trip on the Rhein. 1 day in Rothenburg is plenty. We spent 2 full days in Munich and while you could definitely spend a week in Munich alone, 2 days allowed us to hit the must-sees (Hofbreuhaus was touristy, but fun). We spent 1 day in Salzburg, but did not stay the night. We hit it on our drive from Berchtesgaden (HIGHLY recommend this area. It's beautiful and we really enjoyed touring Eagles Nest and the Salt Mines)to Munich. We also saw Neuschwanstien (a must see) and spent a day in Hiedelberg. I really think your itenerary is doable. It doesn't provide for alot of down time, but we seemed to have plenty of time to enjoy a good German beer at an outdoor cafe whenever the whim struck Once I pay for airfare to Europe I like to get the most out of my time there. Enjoy your trip!

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:49 AM
pam

My memory is a little rusty, but I know that you can make a day trip to Salzburg from Munich (we did). I would drive - the autobahn is great and you make good time. If I recall correctly Salzburg was about 2 hours from Munich, but perhaps some of the other posters that have made the drive more recently can give you their take.

Jun 11th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Ann

Linda, your trip on Day 2 to Rothenburg will be very short, and I wouldn't think you'd stop at all. It should take you no more than 2-3 hours, depending on traffic. Likewise, a day trip to Salzburg should only take you a couple of hours (it's only about 80 miles), but you'll spend more time than that getting in and out of the cities, I'm afraid, unless you're very lucky on traffic. And you will need to get the stamp for driving on Austrian roads (no foolin'). Good luck - post back or email me if you have questions about the trip.