Help with Swiss portion of trip

Oct 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Help with Swiss portion of trip

I need a bit of advise on the Switzerland portion of our upcoming Germany,Austria, Switerland trip in early Dec. I am looking for suggestions for a village hotel in an area close to Luzern. Good train connections etc that we can base out of and do day trips to the mountains, etc. Our itinerary is rather heavy on big cities in Germany and Austria, so I would like to try a smaller town atmosphere at the end of our trip. Thanks for any suggestions.
Oct 1st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Engelberg. You have to go through Lucerne to get to Engelberg, so you could make Lucerne a stop over. Engelberg is in a valley with mountains right at your doorstep. It's a higher elevation so you might not get the fog in the lowlands.
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:01 AM

Hi Poconolady,

A good option might be the town of Engelberg near Mt. Titlis. It's about an hour by train from Luzern.

I've enjoyed staying in the village of Weggis before, but it's inconvenient to get around (requires a bus + train or a ferry, which don't run often in the winter). Weggis would be convenient, though, to get to Rigi.

Perhaps the town of Brunnen, which does have rail connections, or Kuessnacht am Rigi.

Good luck!

s
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM

Hi Swandav,

Like you, I was going to suggest Brunnen but then deleted it. If she wants mountains, village life and less fog, then Engelberg would be better.

However, my relatives have stayed in Hotel Alpha Schmid in Brunnen, located right on the lake promenade, and loved it. It has lake views and reasonable prices. Breakfast was basic.

If you want upscale, then Waldstätterhof in Brunnen is always fantastic. They have THE MOST amazing Sunday breakfast/lunch buffets for only SFr. 45.--. Definitely worth it. You have to reserve ahead of time. This a place where the locals love to go.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions-we are checking into hotels in Engelberg. Sounds like a nice little town to unwind in for a couple of days.