Help with some ideas for after a week in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling in mid June arriving in Venice and staying for 7 nights. It will be our first trip there. I want to extend the trip by 4 or 5 nights by adding another destination on at the end. We'd be traveling by rental car. Staying in a small town or out in the country in an inn or agriturismo would be preferable to being in a larger city. We will be departing from Venice.
I have gotten as far as:
-Using Asolo as a base for visiting the Veneto,
-Driving south to Emilia Romagna and finding spot to use as a base.

What other possibilities are there that I am missing?

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest this place http://www.valcampotto.it/

Somewhere in the middle of

Ravenna, Bologna, Ferrara, Faenza and yet surrounded by nature in an agritorismo
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Consider the Dolomiti. The are unique, they are spectacular -- but they do involve mountain driving. Even in mid-June, they will be attracting flocks of tourists, so if you want a break from that after Venice, then the best I can say is to head for the Alta Badia -- far less touristic.

If you could car less about spectacular mountain scenery, then the region "missing" from your consideration is Friuli-Venezia-Giulia. It's a lovely combination of outstanding history and outstanding food and wine, all of it very easily traversed by car. One of the best guides to the region I have ever seen was on Fodor's, from the celebrity chef (and F-V-G native), Lidia Bastianich:

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2870.html

If heat bothers you, heading up to higher elevations will be cooler than hanging around the Emilia-Romagna. So Asolo is a great choice.

So is Emilia-Romagna itself.

Just remember that when the heat kicks in, many small Italian towns really do go into "sleep mode" in the middle of the day. Because of the mid-day "pausa", I find it easier to road trip through rural Italy in the warm weather months. If you pick a "base" mode of travel, try to time your visits to your target towns you most want to enjoy for very early in the morning or later in the afternoon, after 4pm. In mid-June, you won't run out of daylight until nearly 9pm, so you have plenty of time to visit a town and drive back to your "base" for dinner if you arrive in your sightseeing destination at 3.30.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:01 PM

We spent a week in Bologna last April ...loved it.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Keep the ideas coming. I like the idea of the Dolomites and also Fruili.

I had thought about going to Cortina d'Amprezzo, but I am concerned that it might be TOO cool there in late June. I don't mind mountain driving.

I will look into Fruili-Venezia-Giulia. Can you suggest a town in Fruili that would make a good base?
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM

In Friuli, I stayed at this agriturismo near Udine two years ago, and loved it so much that I'm going back there again this year:

http://www.faula.com/

From there, it's easy to do day trips by car to Udine (very nice city), Cividale del Friuli (beautiful small town with stunning works of 8th century art in its small museum and temple), and Aquileia, where the basilica's 4th century mosaic floor is one of the most spectacular sights I've seen in Italy.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information Friuli and the link to Faula.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

I am now thinking of venturing further and heading to southern Tuscany instead. I've always wanted to stay in Montepulciano.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:23 AM
ekc

We spent 3 days in Asolo and had a fabulous time touring the area. On the same trip we also spent 3 days in Cormmons and LOVED it. Gorgeous scenery, friendly people, fabulous food, very few tourists. What more could you ask for! HIGHLY recommend either of these locations!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ekc. Where did you stay in Cormons?

It is murder trying to decide with so many great choices. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:18 AM

I stayed at La Subida in Cormons and would go back tomorrow and live there if they would keep feeding me -- and they would!

If you've always wanted to stay in Montepulciano, that is in the opposite direction of Cormons.

But that's a long drive from Venice. I'd probably take the train to Chiusi and pick up the car there. Do you need to go all the way back to Venice to fly out?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM

We stayed in Bologna several years ago and had a great time. We took a one day food tour that took us on a tour to where Prosciutto, Balsamic Vinegar, and Cheese were made. Great lunch at the end out in the countryside. Tour was fairly small...not your 30+ buses.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

golden autumn, tell me more about La Subida. Is is a good place for doing day trips to other towns? I've looked at the website and it is a little confusing when it comes to room types. What was your room/cabin like? Some look very modern. Are they air conditioned?

We would be returning to Venice to fly home. Tuscany might have to wait for another trip.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Bringing this back up in the hopes golden autumn might see it comment on La Subida. Anyone else who experience staying at La Subida or anything else for that matter is welcome to chime in!
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Yikes...
...might see it and comment...
Anyone else who has experienced...
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

We have decided to flip flop the trip around. The current plan is to fly to Venice, do 5 nights in Venice, rent a car and drive to southern Tuscany for a week, return car and fly home from FCO.