Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with SIM card for Germany - data rather than calls

Jul 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

We will be leaving for Germany in about 8 weeks and starting to get excited about our trip. One thing that I haven't been able to sort out so far is what options exist in Germany for a pay-as-you-go SIM card that carries a worthwhile data allowance.

We have UK SIM cards with O2 and, in the UK, we can top up GBP10 and get 300 texts and 500mb of data over a month, but that does not appear to be available to us on mainland Europe. The cards cost us GBP3 each but I believe they are now free as long as an initial credit is made.

Does anyone know of a supplier in Germany that offers a similar deal ie low cost SIM card with a good data allowance. Calls are not really material as we would normally call home etc using Skype or Skype Call Phones on the internet connection at our accomodation.

Hoping someone can help, Greg
Jul 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM

Knowing that cheap data connections are essential to any modern economy, those things cost far less than that in Germany. For individuals, i.e. with SIM from Lidl, you get 5 GB for 14.99€ per month or 2€ per day at max 500mb. Lidl is O2. There are many other options, but this one ist simple do do for a foreigner. If you own a company with a German bank account, you pay i.e. 3€ per month for LTE up to 5GB or get 500mb for free.
Jul 8th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll check this out.

I'd expect to use only about 500mb over the 5 weeks we will be in Germany so 5gb would be overkill but at 14,99€ it hardly matters. I guess this would be the Monats-Flatrate?

We do not have a German bank account; presumably activation and ongoing renewal would depend on purchasing credit.
Jul 8th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Right, that's the Monats-Flatrate, prepaid, no bank account needed.
Jul 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks