SIM card -- Austria and Germany

Old Apr 10th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIM card -- Austria and Germany

Does anyone have suggestions for a SIM card provider? Ideally, I'd like to order a SIM card for my iPhone 6 prior to leaving the USA, and I'm willing to pay extra for this. The ability to place calls back to the US is important. Data for internet is not as important as we'll have WiFi at our accommodations. We'll be visiting Austria and Germany. A SIM card that works in both countries would be ideal. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 01:33 PM

Who is your current carrier in the US?
I had so so experience with local SIMs. I had DREI in Austria, great rate for data and voice, but it would not roam in Germany. In Germany, after being told at several stores, whether true or the store did not care to deal with tourists, that a local address is needed, I got a Blau SIM and a Lidl SIM. The Blau did not ask for a local address, worked well in Germnay, but would not roam outside Germany. Lidl roamed outside the Germany, but it was all DIY registration online. It asked for a local address, but took the hotel address. The mobile phone landscape changes frequently, however.

For the trip to Germany last year, I ditched all these local SIM path by using t-mobile USA plan. No cost text and data roaming, $0.20 voice calls, no cost anything when connected to Wifi. This differs from Viper, Skype, Facetime, etc, in that the t-mobile phone continues to use the same US number to make and receive calls when I was in Germany even when on Wifi. WIth t-mobile, you do a month to month plan.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks greg.

Sprint is my current provider.

Thanks for the tips on SIM card providers.

Very interesting regarding T-Mobile. Can one get a rental or temporary phone and do a one month contract with T-Mobile?