Help With September Portugal Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 14 day trip to Portugal arriving September 16th in the late afternoon. We are booked for 4 nights in Lisbon. After that we plan to go to Evora for 1 night. Then we want to head to another town for 2 nights. I considered Nazare, but I am wondering if this is too touristy now. Better suggestions are very welcome.

We then would head to Coimbra for 2 nights. Afterward we want to go to Pinhao in the Douro valley for 1 night and then stay in Porto for 2 nights. We wanted to explore north of Porto, but have 1 night to do that, since we are booking our last night in Lisbon.

Please let me know if this seems workable. I would like to stay longer in some locations, but we already removed the Algarve so that we would have time in the North. I am hoping that with this plan we will still be able to see Obidos, some coast beaches, and some "off the beaten track" towns. I did consider traveling northeast from Evora on the local roads to experience some small towns, but I can’t tell whether this is practical with our time limitations.

Any help would be welcome. I am anxious to lineup Porto reservations especially since this is high season in the Douro Valley.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds good to me as we did a similar trip. Obidos won't take very long to see and is filled with tourists and tour groups during the day. Highly recommend Hotel Infante de Sagres in Porto and the pousada in Evora.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrir. Your Portugal postings as well as the others here have led to my initial ideas on this trip.

Does anyone have ideas on another town instead of Nazare for 2 nights? Would you just use Nazare? We would like somewhere authentic and not overtaken by the tourist industry.

Anyone with suggestions on Northern Portugal beyond Porto?

Thanks, all suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
North of Porto in the Minho region are two beautiful towns/small cities, Viana do Castelo and Guimares.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Not in point, but cam I REALLY recommend the Gulbenkian in Lisbon. And please go and hear some fado
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Have you seen this trip report that will give you some ideas for northern Portugal.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ortugal.cfm?18

I really recommend Sintra - my favorite of all the towns I saw in Portugal.