Help with Scotland

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Scotland

Be gentle; I am a first timer to this board.
Please help me with a plan.

I am going to Scotland for the first time.
I have researched different itineraries and have not found one that interests me.

So, I have six days in country and have decided to start in Edinburgh and go north from there. I want to go through Stirling to Perth up to Aberdeen and across to Isle of Skye and leave out of Glasgow.

I would like to see the sites in between ie: castles, mountains, small towns etc. I have been researching but the books and web sites do not have the details I am looking for.

I am mostly interested in seeing the countryside. I love mountains and the valleys. My better half is interested in the castles, but I just want to see the country that most tourists do not see.

I will appreciate any suggestions and tried intineraries that worked well for others. I am easy going and easy to please.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sheila, this one is for you.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Well I am not Sheila - but you have a real dilemma to work out. Lay out a map of Scotland - the places you want to visit are a zigzag route all over the place in a very few days.

Edinburgh requires at least 2 days, 3 is better. Then Stirling/Perth demand another full day. Then over to Aberdeen takes a couple of days - not the drive itself, but the time to see what's to be seen. Just going to Dunnottar, Stonehaven, Aberdeen, Crathes and one or two other castles would take 2 or 3 days minimum.

Then you want to drive across the whole country to Skye for another couple of days minimum.

That has already used up more than your 6 days - and if that included the day you leave from Glasgow you really only have 5+ days.

Decide which things are most important to you. Aberdeen for instance is a lovely city - but in such a short trip it might not be a good use of your time to go there.

If I had just 6 total days on my forst trip to Scotland I'd probably spend the first two full days in Edinburgh. then pick up the rental car and head NW to Stirling. I'd stay in that area 1 or 2 nights. there is a lot to see besides Stirling Castle - the Trossachs, Inchmahome Island/Priory, many lochs/rivers/waterfalls, etc.

Then I'd drive through GlenCoe and on to Skye for 1 or 2 nights and back to Glasgow to fly out.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:44 PM

ReasonStatiasSoHappy:
Welcome to the board...we already know all about her handsome hubby!!
I'm in the middle of Scotland & Ireland research....
Isle of Skye is definitely on our agenda...an old haunt of of Z's (husband)
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Hi Bailey.

Are you going to Scotland soon? I hope you will be posting your photos. Can not wait to see them.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:34 AM

To Janis: You're right; this is a zigzag, both perhaps this is just what RSSH wants.

He says he's "mostly interested in seeing the countryside", so it's the driving (the means) that is of interest, not the sites (the ends), that matters.

To RHHS: Being gentle with you, what - exactly - is it about the numerous itineraries that have been posted on this board that do not interest you? Does the key to the answer to this question lie in your phrase, "...I just want to see the country that most tourists do not see."?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM

OK; a certain amount of this depends on when you are going ie what time of year. And you will have to be a bit ruthless about going past te stuff you haven't decided on.

days 1 and 2 Edinburgh. Email me for suggestions

day 3, out of Edinburgh EARLY- before the Glasgow traffic- and get to Stirling- Castle and Bannockburn.

Option- Doune castle, Doune
Option- Ardoch Roman camp- Braco
Option- Dollar Glen

Perth by mid afternoon at the lastest. Climb Kinnoull hill for the views. Drive up through Blairgowrie and Glenshee to Braemar or Ballater.

Day 4- meander down Deeside to Aberdeen.
Options- Braemar castle,
Balmoral castle
Burn o'Vat
Pananich Wells
Glen Tanar
Craigievar
Crathes castle and gardens
Drum castle

Aberdeen
Leave Aberdeen not later than 5pm and drive north on the main road to inverness than on to Garve and west to Lochcarron and Kyleakin and onto Skye. Book a room because it will be 9pm by the time you get there.
day 5- Skye

Day 6-back to Glasgow. Given the time you've got the route is the obvious one.

Unless you take Skye off this, there's not a lot can be done with it.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks to all of you for your constructive criticism. I have been doing more research and am working on revamping things.

The tour is zigzagging a bit because some of the sites I DO want to see are in the areas where I have to veer off the beaten path to get to them. I think you are right, I need a much better map than the one I presently have.

I will rework things and then repost. Thanks again Janis, Bailey, Tuck and Shiela. I will probably email you for those suggestions, Sheila.

I'll be back after more work on this.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM

My husband and I went to Scotland a few years ago and this was our itinerary (might give you some ideas):

Days 1-4: Edinburgh (on the 4th day, we went to Stirling Castle by train)
Day 5: drove through Trossachs and Glencoe to Glenfinnan. If we had it to do over, I would have stayed in the Trossachs or Glencoe for the first night.
Day 6: Isle of Skye (absolutely gorgeous!!) I would not leave this out. On the way, we stopped at Eilean Donan castle.
Day 7: Loch Ness/Inverness
Day 8: Drove back to Edinburgh for last night and stayed at Dalhousie Castle. Stopped at Queen's View on the way.

We did a lot of driving, but never felt like it was too much because we made lots of stops.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:05 PM
JCV

I just returned from London and Scotland Saturday. My trip was wonderful. Sugggestions for Edinburgh - if you are interested in scenery and hiking - make sure you climb up to Arthur's Seat. We took the hike this past Friday - the weather was perfect and the views spectacular!! It took under an hour to climb up (we took our time because we did not have hiking boots) but it only took about half hour for the hike down. Certainly worth it!