Reload this Page >

HELP with Rome Hotels!

Search

HELP with Rome Hotels!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Travelers

HELP with Rome Hotels!

Any ideas for good, charming, hip, hotels in Rome?<BR>Last Christmas week we stayed at the Minerva--great location, really nice hotel. Looking for something different this year.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Beth

Just got back from a trip in November. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but we liked 4-star Hotel Genio very much. It is located just outside the north entrance to Piazza Navona, which was always an entertaining place to be. All other major sites were within very easy walking distance. The Hotel was lovely, our room was great - including a very modern and clean private bathroom. An excellent buffet breakfast was included. Check their special rates. My husband and I paid 270,000 lire ($125) for a double. They are part of the Leonardi chain (http://www.travel.it/roma/ianr/index.htm) that also offers three star<BR>hotels which might be even cheaper. If they are run as well as the<BR>Genio, I would expect them to all be quite good.<BR><BR>Tel. +39-06-86800116 r.a<BR>Fax +39-06-86800124<BR>E.Mail: [email protected]<BR>Website: http://www.travel.it/roma/genio/genio.html<BR><BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 08:09 AM
run

i've been at empire palace hotel, really sweet.The best four stars in Rome. Contact catherina at [email protected] fo a better price.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Surlok

Hotel de Russie, the Hassler, the Eden, Raphael, D' Inghilterra are all charming and well located. Also Albergo Nazionale and the St. Regis Grand, although St Regis location is not the best, the hotel itself is fabulous.<BR><BR>The hippest hotel in Rome right now is Hotel de Russie, at the slopes of the western section of Villa Borghese, and by the Piazza del Popolo.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Travelers

Thanks everyone! The Russie was our top choice, but seems to be full at the special rates and now difficult to reserve. How's the Raphael? Have you stayed there? I have seen some conflicting info (i.e., small rooms, overpriced, beautiful, classy, etc.) Also, any feedback on the Mozart or San Anselmo or Villa Pio? On line these all look good, but, again hard to tell.<BR>P.S. We're pretty fussy and want it all for a great rate!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Surlok

The Mozart won't offer you the same standards of the Minerva, not the same league of hotels. It's an OK 3 stars, location is good, but is far from the other hotels I mentioned. <BR><BR>I still like the Eden, although it got a few bad comments on this board. Just make sure you're getting a Superior room, since the standard rooms are small, as are D'Inghilterra std rooms. I haven't stayed at the Raphael, but the lobby, location and building, from the outside, are quite appealing.<BR><BR>The Albergo Nazionale is also a nice hotel, with large rooms, and good service. It's at Piazza Montecitorio, a short walk from Piazza di Spagna. There's the Excelsior, at Via Veneto, also not far from the P. di Spagna.<BR>There's also the Lord Byron. It's a lovely hotel, with a wonderful restaurant, if you don't mind staying at Villa Borghese/Parioli neighborhood, a quite residential and upscale area, although a little removed. It would give you, however, a totally different perspective of Rome.<BR><BR>I hope it helps.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Travelers

Thanks for all the info! Another hotel question: Inn at the Spanish Steps--any feedback?<BR>What were the negative comments about the Eden? I heard that it has been renovated. We don't mind staying up in that area, since it's a change from last time and we didn't get to the Borghese Villa and gardens. We're also considering the Aventine since we never got to that area (but maybe too quiet?) since close to Trastevere and we want to go there.<BR>On another note: Is it true that you need to purchase tix to the Borghese Villa? If so, how far in advance?

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Jon

Travelers,<BR>The Raphael is great. We just stayed there in mid November and loved it. I've heard that the standard rooms are a bit small, but for the price of a room at the other hotels mentioned above you could probably get a deluxe room at the Raphael. Our deluxe room had a balcony and a loft for the bedroom above the living area.<BR>The service and common areas were very nice. The location is unbeatable.<BR>Have a great trip,<BR>j.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Surlok

I just topped another thread for you. The subject is:"Excelsior, Eden or Intercontinental in Rome?".<BR><BR>Unfortunately, I couldn't find the bad remarks about the Eden. If I recall well, they were about the size of the rooms ( some are, in fact, too small), or either lack of service.<BR><BR>I stayed there twice. My room was small, but I was alone, so, it was perfectly fine. Plus, I had a gorgeous view from the window, since the room was on a high floor.<BR><BR>I'm pasting the Eden rants&raves URL for you. have a look.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/rants/rrread.cfm?destination=rome@130&class=Hotels@20003 &property=Eden@157812&entity_id=33203<BR><BR>Sorry , I cannot comment on the Inn at the Spanish Steps, I haven't stayed or been there. I recall, though, of reading good reviews on this board about it.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Mark

We had stayed at the Parco Dei Principi next to the Villa Borghese. It was a wonderful hotel and the staff was great.