Help with Rome hotels!

May 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Madelyn

Help with Rome hotels!

We are visiting Rome the first of August and aren't familiar with the city. We are looking for a reasonably priced (170,000-220,000L) double with air conditioning and will only be there three days. Any suggestions? Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Luxor?

May 27th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Rex

For a "good" location, the range you cite is more like "budget-priced" than "reasonably priced".

A search on www.italyhotel.com - - also known as www.venere.com - - for August 1-4 revealed 213 hotels with available rooms - - of these, seven were in your price range and in the "more desirable" (my opinion) zone 5 - - and had the "symbol" for available air conditioning. All the prices shown below are for one double room (three nights).

They are:

Caprice
Via Liguria, 38, 00187, Roma

1 Double Standard 540,000 ITL
1 Double Superior 660,000 ITL

Forte
Via Margutta, 61, 00187, Roma

1 Double 654,000 ITL

San Silvestro
Via del Gambero 3, 00187, Roma

1 Double 570,000 ITL

Clarin
Via Palermo, 36, 00184, Roma

1 Double 510,000 ITL

Giardino
via XXIV maggio, 51, 00187, Roma

1 Double 660,000 ITL

Marcus
via del Clementino, 94, 00186, Roma

1 Double 630,000 ITL

Romano
Largo Corrado Ricci 32, 00184, Roma

1 Double 570,000 ITL

I would not want to assert that any of these is "better" than your selcetion (luxor) - - nor necessarily that any has a better location than the Luxor. Indeed, the Luxor looks pretty good based on its listing there - - http://www.venere.com/it/roma/luxor/ - - and the location - - http://www.venere.com/it/roma/luxor/cartina.jpg - - reasonable.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 28th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Madelyn

Thanks very much to Rex for the information on Rome hotels. Really helped make this task seem more manageable and less overwhelming. Yes, I can see from the listings now that our price range is definitely budget!

May 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
scurry

We just got back from our trip & LOVED our Rome hotel:

Albergo Cesari
Via di Pietra 89A - 00186 Roma
telefono : +39 06 6749701
telefax: +39 06 67497030
web page: http://www.venere.it/roma/cesari
e-mail: [email protected]

Although it wasn't cheap for a double bed (~400,000 Lira), it's located right between the Trevi Fountain, Forum & Pantheon. The people were very friendly & spoke English very well.

Jun 20th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Amy

We stayed at the Hotel Luxor last fall and it was fine. The room was small but clean, good bathroom, and fantastic cappucino (sp?) at breakfast. Good location as it seemed to be about a 10 minute walk from everything. I would probably stay there again.

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Book Chick

Madelyn,
Rome is a very expensive city for hotels.

Try Casa Howard, at www.casahoward.com

or the Carriage Hotel, which you may have come across already on the www.venere.com site.

Good Luck & Have A Good Trip,
BC

Jun 20th, 2001, 03:19 PM
cristina

I stayed in the Luxor in May and found it really conveniant to everything.The spanish steps are about 15 mins away, the Trevi fountain about 10, the furom and the Colusseum about 20 (all walking) The room was alright, we had the only room with a balcony which was nice but it also meant that we had one of the older rooms. The only thing that I didnt like was the bathtub, it was this really odd shape which made it really uncomfortable to shower in. But on the other hand the service was truly exceptional! We were there for three days and the desk clerk whose name I think is somewhere along the lines of Alessandro was one of the most helpful people I have ever met. I asked him about thirty questions per day and he was always attentive and helpful, I actually felt like writing him a thank you card for the wonderful service. Also if you want to do some shopping the location of the Luxor is great, there is a clothing or shoe store every three feet. I would stay there again, the only thing I regret was only staying in Rome for three days, It was fantastic you will have a wonderful time!