Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from England to continental Europe

Jun 19th, 2001, 09:52 PM
gary

Anyone know of a good and inexpensive way of getting between England and mainland Europe besides the Eurostar train? I'm especially interested in getting to either Amsterdam or the Normandy coast.

Jun 19th, 2001, 11:15 PM
anonymous

http://www.klmuk.com/main/home/index.asp

to amsterdam

or http://www.ryanair.com/

to dinard

Jun 20th, 2001, 08:42 AM
XXX

You can usually use the Ferry you should look up P&O Ferry or another train service go onto Rail Europe, also Virgin Atlantic Airlines runs a no frills service called Virgin Express that is cheaper than most other airline in England for European travel, another option is by coach (bus service) www.gobycoach.com, this service is ran by National Express coach line it's the English version of Greyhound and they do service the areas you are interested in and they depart from Victoria Station very easy access.

Jun 20th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Skip

We just got back from England and the Continent. We took EasyJet from Amsterdam to Luton Airport outside of London. You can go on the train from Victoria to Luton, then a free shuttle runs from the train to the airport. We didn't have any problems at all. Easy jet has a web site that you can look at. The cost was very reasonable. The website is easyjet.com. We paid about $35 one way. Time of day makes a difference on cost. Early flights are less than later ones. They give you confirmation on the webpage and a number so there is no hassle at the airport at all. They use 737 airplane. We were quite satisfied with the service.

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Ann

Also with easyjet, the earlier you book, the less you pay. I paid about $80 return for flights from Liverpool to Barcelona by booking about 2 months ahead of time.

Jun 20th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Skip

There is an interesting article on Easyjet today on the news at

http://www.msnbc.com/news/587392.asp?bt=prgy

Jun 20th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Lee

Try BUZZ airlines flying out of Stanstead if you are leaving from London. We booked online and have flights scheduled in September. Have heard good things about this sub. of KLM. I think it's buzzaway.com 0 if not, just type in Buzz Airline, London on Google.com
Buzz flies to LaRochelle which is where our daughter lives.
Good Luck to both of us!

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Dale

Hi, Gary. I'm in the middle of planning a similar trip. I've done the Eurostar thing (February 2001), but now I want to try the ferry on a new trip. Much will depend on where you are in England. For example, there is a ferry that goes from Harwich in Essex (north east of London) to the Hook of Holland. If you're in the south of England, there are many other choices leaving from Dover to France/Belgium. Check out this web page for all kinds of info on doing your continental invasion by sea: www.ferrybooker.com. Happy planning!