Esperas Hotel in Oia

May 27th, 2001, 09:59 PM
jacqueline

Esperas Hotel in Oia

I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Esperas Traditional Houses in Oia. A friend and I are heading to Santorini as part of a 16-day trip to Greece and Turkey and had initially asked to stay at Dana Villas, not far from Fira. Unfortunately, (or maybe not?) it was solidly booked and our agent has made reservations for us at Esperas (in Oia). Their website looks great, but I'm curious if it is going to be too quiet and too difficult to get into Fira at night for the nightlife. We are not averse to taking buses (or a taxi late at night - if it isn't outrageously priced.) We are 2 single female friends (young 29 and 37) and like to meet locals and interesting tourists and sleep a little late, and stay out quite late. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, we are staying at the Cavo Tagoo in Mykonos and the Aldemar Paradise Royal Mare in Rhodes and the Princess Karia in Bodrum (Turkey). Would love to hear about people's experiences. Thanks so much....I am so excited about this trip...

May 29th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Melanie

Hi! I leave for Greece this Sunday for a 2 week honeymoon. We are staying at the Esperas Villas and Cavoo Tagoo. Both came highly recommended. Email me at the end of June and I'll be able to give my observations.

Just a note, since the Esperas are in Oia - it'll be quite a commute ( I heard 30 minutes or so) each night for the nightlife in Fira, although Oia is supposse to have some good nightlife as well. Of course, knowing us - we'll make the commute to Fira alot.

May 29th, 2001, 02:52 PM
carol

Just got back from a trip to Turkey and Greece and we stayed in Ia, but at the Anemomilous. Ia has pretty little for night life. Its more a late night dining/cafe crowd than anything. However, for traditional music and an evening with the locals (and excellent roast lamb), check out Santorini Mou on the east side of town. Also Ammoudi for a fish dinner. Pick a small fish and share it with some mezedes. We were told that the bus to Fira ends at 9:30 Pm. We took Ia as a chance to relax and veg out and drink wine while we watched the sunset from our room. You will get your city night life in Myknonos.

Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:46 AM
amy

Hello Jacqueline,

I just returned from a 2 week trip to the Greek Islands and had a blast! You and your friend will love it. We stayed in Fira at the Loucas Hotel and the Kavalari, but did go to Oia several evenings. The Esperas looks wonderful and in a fantastic location for sunsets. I had tried to book there but they were full for the nights we planned to stay. Oia is extremely charming but you will want to go into Fira for some nightlife. Try Murphy's Pub or the Koo Club for dancing and meeting people. We rented cars while on the islands because they're so inexpensive ($20 for 24hrs) and the drive from Fira to Oia was only 15 mins and it's a beautiful drive. I didn't have any experience with the buses so can't comment.

On Mykonos, we also stayed at Cavo Tagoo. We hadn't planned on going to Mykonos at all but we were quite bored in Paros and ready to move on. Mykonos ended up being the highlight of our trip! I couldn't believe it. The island has gotten so many knocks for being overly touristy and expensive and not very beautiful but we absolutely loved it. There were a lot of tourists but the Cavo Tagoo was incredible and the island is quite stunning. The hotel is about a 10 min walk from town but we found that a taxi for 2 people only cost a total of $3-4.

You are going to have a great time!

Amy

Jun 2nd, 2001, 12:35 PM
Sue

Hi,

We stayed at the Esperas last summer. The hotel is wonderful as are the people who manage the hotel. Oia is wonderful. Great places to eat and a charming village, but not a night club place. You would have to go into Fira for night life. If you drink a lot I would not want to drive back to Oia. The view from the road is beautiful but curvey and narrow in places. Take a taxi. The good part about Oia, is you can sleep all day and not be distrubed by noise. I also love Mykonos, and I am too old for night life. The hotel kept telling us the hotel was full and we never saw anyone. One day we returned to the hotel around noon and everyone was just getting up. Have fun.

Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Tom Ward

We stayed at the Esperas in mid-May. Incredible. All rooms have a view and balcony. The staff is great. They can arrange a rental car, give advice on restaurants etc. We spent three nights. I checked out the Perivolas which has the famous infinity pool. It looks much better in the pictures than it does in real life. Also the Loucas Hotel. It looked OK but would be much noisier. You won't be disappointed with the Esperas.

Jun 5th, 2001, 01:23 PM
jacqueline

Hi there:

Thanks so much for your comments on the Esperas and Cavo Tagoo. I feel more relaxed now about our choice of accommodation, although it appears that we will be flagging a cab in the wee hours of the morning to get back to Oia from Fira! Twenty-four days and counting...

Jun 18th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Lee Traband

Please send me the website and/or e-mail address of the Esperas Hotel in Oia. We'll be on Santorini from 10/2-4/01.

Thanks,

Lee Traband

Jun 18th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Sue

I do not know thw web site of the Esperas, but try the search engine www.google.com Also if you go into www.dilos.com Click onto hotels and then Cycades(sp) Islands and then Esperas. Good luck!

Jun 18th, 2001, 02:57 PM
monica

Try Greekhotel.com....the cyclades
Its a great site for hotels and pictures of the islands...

Jun 18th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Anna

We just got back from Turkey and Greece one week ago. My husband and I just stayed at the Esperas, it was great. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The staff is young (about your ages) and very friendly, I'm sure they can suggest some places for you to go if you're looking for nightlife as there wasn't much in Oia. http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...peras/home.htm

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:51 PM
jacqueline

Hi there:

The website for the Esperas is www.esperas.gr It is a great website - check out the virtual tour which takes you on the terrace, into the reception area, and then does a tour of several of the guest houses.