Help with plans for Provence, Dordogne, Burgundy and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on fine tuning 6 weeks in France in June-July 2012. I've been trawling forums and have posted on some and dealing with contradictory views (but that's to be expected with everyone having their own perceptions). Anyway, hoping for some advice from those who have travelled in these areas of France. My husband and I will be driving from Northern Italy (where we'll have been for 6 weeks) and picking my sister up in Nice around June 2nd. We want to base ourselves in Provence (and I've done a separate post about that). My main question is around timing and travelling between places. It makes sense to stay in Provence for at least a week given we are meeting my sister in Nice. I was considering the Languedoc area but after reading earlier threads I've decided that as this is our first visit to France, Provence and the Dordogne will be better options. We have always wanted to visit Burgundy and a friend of mine was recently in Beaune for a week and loved the area. My problem is the logistics as it looks like it might be quite a way from Provence to Dordogne and then to Burgundy. Our last two weeks we were going to devote to Paris but we're flexible - less time is an option.

Although it seems a shame to drive long days from one place to the next we don't want to be stopping off overnight and would prefer to travel to an area we want to spend time in and base ourselves for 5-7 days at a time. It seems to me that many gites and other self-catering accommodation require Sat-Sat rental. We want to experience being in a place, go to markets, shop and cook for ourselves, some eating out to experience the local cuisine, walks in countryside, riding bikes in the countryside, historic places and buildings. What we don't want to do is rush around seeing 'must-sees' of any description. Hope some of the experienced travellers on this forum can provide some useful suggestions. I'll see what responses I get to this broad topic and if need be will post questions about specific areas later.
RonMic
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Hi RonMic

We did a similar holiday to you 2 years ago and we had a wonderful time it was an amazing experience We did a good mixture of site-seeing, villages and some lovely local walks.

We had 4 weeks and spent time in Paris, Provence and The Dordogne and loved every moment of it.

This is link to my trip report

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-dordogne.cfm

There are lots of experienced travellers on Fodors, but I am happy to answer any questions and hope I can help.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 05:04 AM
ira

Hi RM,

You are putting too many end conditions on your problem.

Sometimes an inn might be better than an apt. Sometimes it is a good idea to stop off on the way.

I assume that you will spend 1-2 nights in Nice before heading off to Provence.
We stayed at a lovely inn in Graveson.
(http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm)

There are apts for rent there, as well as in St-Remy-de-Provence.

On your way to the Dordogne, I suggest that you go by way of Carcassone (2-3 hr visit) and Albi (overnight).

Albi to Sarlat-la-Caneda is only 3 hr, which gives you time to visit Peche Merle.
(http://www.pechmerle.com/ and http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645)

Sarlat to Beaune is a 6-hr drive through not unpleasant farm country.

Or, you could drive to Lyon for two nights, before going up to Beaune/Dijon.

This will take very little away from your two weeks in Paris, and give you the opportunity to see a few sights instead of driving by.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to the trip report, I'll read it with interest. Will look up the places suggested for driving through and stopping over. Would it be necessary to book overnight stops in June or could we wing it?
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM

In 2006, we stayed in a lovely gite,Le Pech de Compassy, near St julien de Lampon on the Dordogne river, to our next gite near Givry in Burgundy quite easily. Beaune would be less than an hour further, so Dordogne to Burgundy in a day is certainly possible. Burgundy is a large region with lots to offer. Beaune is good as a base, especially if you have a week in which to go in different directions for day trips. Do not discount the Maconnais area as a day trip. We spent a week there and loved it. Dijon is also lovely, as is the Abbaye de Fontenay, Flavigny sur Ozerain, Noyers sur serein, Semur en Auxois, Vezelay, Autun and the list goes on. From our Givry week we also drove over to the jura region -Baumes les Messieurs, Chateau Chalon, wonderful scenery. This then resulted in a week stay in the Jura in 2008. So lots of possibilities.

Good luck. We love visiting France and each trip leaves us wanting to return.