Help with planning trip to Ireland/Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my first trip to Ireland March 19 to March 26, 2010. We will be flying in and out of Dublin. Arriiving at 7:40 am, this should give us some of the day on Friday and 6 full days to explore. We do not want to rent a car at all, so we will be relying completely on public transport and tours. My plan is to stay in Dublin, exploring the city for 3 1/2 days and taking 3 day trips. I am thinking of a day tour to the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough, a tour to Newgrange and maybe a one day train trip to Kilkenny or Galway. We would like to take in at least 2 castle visits, but I'm not going to include Dublin Castle as one. Does this sound reasonable? Which tour companies are the best? Would Galway be recommended over Kilkenny? Kilkenny seams to be closer and a cheaper train ride. Would Galway even be worth going to with out a car?

We are also looking for a place to stay in Dublin. I frequently use Hotwire for my trips at home in the States, but I always have a car. It seems to me Hotwire usually has nice places, but aren't always the most centrally located. I used Priceline for London a couple of years ago and got a hotel that was perfectly located for our price range. I can't seem to find much current info for Dublin on the Biddingfortravel site. Does anyone have any insight on which hotels typically win for 4 star in Central City for Priceline? We would like somethjng with a good location for the public transportation and tour pickups. We don't need anything too fancy, just nice and comfortable. I did see a familly owned place called Cassidy's located on the upper part of O'Connell Street. Looks like we can get this through Travelocity for $875 for 7 nights. Is anyone familiar with place and would that be a good location?

Any advice, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM
tod

I know many have given good advice about the narrow roads in Ireland but I must mention the fabulous new highways as well,some still under construction here and there so IF you decide to hire a car after all, please get a Garmin loaded with the latest maps of Ireland. It really helps.
We spent 2 weeks and travelled right around Ireland but you may pick out some handy tips from my trip report(May 2009).
http://tinyurl.com/mmm492
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:21 AM

If Dublin is your base, Kilkenny is a shorter trip and truly doable as a day trip. Kilkenny has a castle. Another castle you might like is Malahide which is not far out of the city to the north. It has been a while since I went to Malahide, but I do remember taking a morning trip there by train and being back in Dublin for some afternoon activities.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:15 AM

I would try to avoid upper O'Connell street--it is generally considered the rougher part of Dublin. I would suggest trying hotels closer to the river or on the southside. Stehpen's green, merrion square are nice parts of dublin. make sure you take a day trip to Glendalough. You should definitely consider taking the train to Galway. It's a small city and if you want to spend a night there you could take a day tour to the Cliffs of Moher or the Aran islands.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM

By the way, I haven't been to malahde castle but location wise it's just north of dublin city approxx 30 mins by train i'd say
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

This is the itenerary I have worked up at this point:

Fri: arrive @ Dublin @ 7:40am from Chicago. Spend afternoon in town. Maybe do Book of Kells and Trinity College

Sat: Take 11:10am train to Galway arrive @ 2pm and spend rest of day checking out Galway and spend night in Galway

Sun: Morning ferry to Aran Island for day trip or Take a tour wtih Galway Tour Co. to Cliffs of Moher and Burren. Which would be recommended more? Stay second night in Galway.

Mon: 9:15am train back to Dublin @ 12:00. Stay rest of week in Dublin hotel. Possibly do Guiness Brewery Tour

Tues: Wild Wicklow Tour of Glendalough, Sally's Gap, etc.

Wed: Tour of Newgrange with Mary Gibbons Tours

Thurs: Cleanup day for in town activities ( Still doing research on things to do in town)

Fri: 9:35am flight From Dbulin to Chicago

That's my loose itenerary right now. Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am still looking for a reasonably priced nice place to stay in Dublin and suggestions for a place to stay in Galway.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:05 AM

My favorite hotel in Dublin is the Dylan. It's not inexpensive, but it's definitely worth at least one night.

http://www.visitingeu.com/western-eu...n-ireland.html

I've also had good stays at the Westin in Dublin, which is in a great location right on St Stephen's Green.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM

A short distance outside Galway, I like Aughananure Castle - a ruin but very atmospheric, you can still visit the banqueting halls and climb the spiral staircase to the top:

http://oughterard.galway-ireland.ie/...ure-castle.htm

Probably not do-able without a car in Galway, unless your tour happens to cover it.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:21 AM

"Hotwire usually has nice places, but aren't always the most centrally located."

Your concern is something that's never crossed my mind in the British Isles - and I've never heard anyone have the problem you're worried about.

With one basic exception, hotel chains rarely build or acquire hotels here that are inaccessible to public transport. Few places in civilised urban Europe are more than a couple of hundred yards from a bus stop: most major hotels are within fifty yards or so (think Manhattan, only with more buses). And it's chains that make up the bulk of what's on Priceline. Within towns, cheaper branches of chains are usually near a bus or metro stop out in the suburbs.

Obviously, the big exception is places aimed at drivers in a town's outer periphery. FWIW, my experience (and it might just be mine) is that such places never seem to come up on Priceline.

It'd be interesting to hear others' experience. But the typical American place that just can't be got to without a car is very, very rare in the areas Priceline etc generally cover in European cities.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Cliffs of Moher or aran islands? that is a tough one. Although I love the aran islands, maybe go for the cliffs of Moher.if you can find a tour that takes all day you will see a good bit of scenery of the west of Ireland. If you like activity though(and the weather is good)..get the ferry to the Aran islands and hire a bike!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM

HI!
We stayed at Jury's Inn (right across from Christ Church Catherdral)...it was great -- the hop on/hop off bus came to a stop just around the corner - and if you are in Dub. on wed. night - Christ Church has an amazing concert "EveningSong" - by the Sr. or Jr. choirs - very very beautiful!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to stay in Dublin and do day tours from the city. We also decided to take our chances on Upper O'Connell Street and I have booked the Best Western Premiere Acadamy for the first Fri and Sat. nights and Cassidy's for the rest of the week (Cassidy's was booked for the first Fri and Sat.)

This is what I have now:

Fri: Arrive DUB @ 7:40am (2:40am my local time) Take the Airlink 747 to the O'Connel Street station-- Explore city-- Book of Kells, Trinity College, etc

Sat: Mary Gibbons Tour of Newgrange and Tara Hill 8:30am to 3:15pm

Sun: In town- we have to change hotels this day, HOp on hop off bus tour- Kilmainham Gaol, Christ Church Catherdral, St. Patricks Cathedral

Mon: Aran Island Tour with Railtours Heuston Station 7:30am Departure and arrive back to Heuston @ 8:55pm

Has anyone taken this Railtour? What is the best way to get to and from Heuston station from Upper O'Connell street at these times?

Tues: Wicklow and Glendalough Tour with Over the Top tour company 9:20am to 5:30pm

Wed: The Cliffs of Moher and Burren tour with Railtours 7:00am depart from Heuston and return @ 8:55pm

We are thinking about doing the Cliffs and Burren tour with Paddy Wagon Tours instead of railtour. Would that be recommended?

Thurs: In town- Malahide Castle and anything we missed or want to revisit.

Fri: DUB 9:35am flight

More Questions:
Should I book these tours in advance or wait till we arrive? For our return flight, what would be the best way to get to the airport by 7:30am? Taxi or would public transport be fine?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks