Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Planning Portugal Road Trip (18-19 days)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a solo traveler planning to go to Portugal (for the first time) for just under 3 weeks, leaving during the last week in September or in early October. I'd very much appreciate feedback that any of you can offer on my proposed itinerary.

A little about myself: I am a solo traveler who has been to Europe many times and done similar length road trips in a variety of countries, including Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Austria, Norway, where some of the roads can be mountainous and very narrow. As an amateur photographer, I like visiting places that are "photo-worthy" even if there is no particular point of interest. For that reason, when I drive from Point A to Point B, I sometimes take the fastest route but I may also take the backroads to stop in smaller towns and scenic areas. I also like visiting places that have historic significance, including Jewish history (that is one of the reasons I have included Castelo da Vide, Belmonte, Trancoso and Tomar). I also don't object to one-night stays, which I feel are sometimes more convenient than staying in one "base" and backtracking there each night. Finally, I like to keep busy. I am retired so my vacations are not meant to be a relaxing break from work. I purposely left off the Algarve because I don't want to spend time on the beach and I think I would find the mountain towns near the Spanish border much more interesting and less touristy.

So here is my draft itinerary with a few questions and comments:

Day 1: Arrive in Lisbon after flying from US. If time permits, try to see a little bit of the city after I arrive (e.g., walking tour) before getting to bed early.
Days 2-4: Lisbon. Planning to spend one day in and around Alfama (incl. Sao Jorge Castle, Azulejo Museum), one day in Belem (incl. Museum of Ancient Art), and one day at the Gulbenkian Museum and various parts of Lisbon between the museum and the river front.
Day 5: Pick up rental car. Drive to Evora. Overnight: Evora.
Day 6: Spend more time in Evora (if necessary), before heading off to some (but probably not all) of the following: Estremoz, Vila Vicosa, Monsaraz, Elvas. Overnight: Elvas, or return to Evora.
Day 7: Drive to Marvao and Castelo de Vide, possibly stopping in one of the town I missed on Day 6 (e.g., Estremos, Elvas). Overnight: Marvao or Castelo de V.
Day 8: Drive to Monsanto (spend a few hours here) and then to Belmonte. See old Jewish quarter, incl. museum and synagogue. Overnight: Belmonte.
Day 9: Spend more time in Belmonte (if necessary) and then head to Douro Valley via Trancoso. Do a little sightseeing in Douro Valley in and around Lamego, Pinhao or Vila Real. Stop at a quinta either this day or the following day. Overnight: Douro Valley town.
Day 10: Sightseeing in the Douro Valley, then drive to Porto (possibly via Amarante, which I read is a pretty town). On the other hand, the road along the south bank of the river from Lamego west to Porto is probably very scenic. Any comments?
Days 11 and 12: Sightseeing in Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia. Overnight: Porto.
Day 13: Leave early, stop in Aveiro en route to Coimbra. Sightseeing in Coimbra. Overnight: Coimbra.
Day 14: More sightseeing in Coimbra and/or nearby, e.g., Conimbriga Roman ruins, schist villages near Lousa. Overnight: Coimbra.
Day 15: Drive to Tomar, sightseeing in Tomar. Overnight: Tomar.
Day 16: Visit either the Batalha or Alcobaca monastery (but not both - any preference?), lunch in Nazare, drive to Obidos. Overnight: Near Obidos or Peniche.
Day 17: Drive to Sintra, possibly in some places along to coast. Do some sightseeing in Sintra. Overnight: Sintra.
Day 18: Sightseeing in Sintra (Pena Palace and one other sight). Overnight: Sintra, or near Lisbon airport if I have an early flight.
NOTE: I know I could spend even more time in Sintra - there are so many places to visit in town and nearby - but I just want to visit a few on this trip. It would be easy to come back to Sintra if I made another trip to Lisbon in the future.
Day 19: Fly back to USA.

A few questions and comments:
1. I probably don't have time to visit all four of the following: Monsaraz, Estremoz, Vila Vicosa and Elvas. Which are most worthwhile?
2. Where is the most scenic part of the Douro River valley, i.e., the part of the valley where all of the amazing pictures are taken?
3. If I were to cut the trip by one day, what would you recommend I drop?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 09:42 PM

Wow! Fast paced trip, but you will see a lot. Hubby and I spent 11 days in Portugal and loved visiting the small towns.
Aside from Pena Palace (fascinating and beautiful) we loved the Douro Valley. The most fantastic view we had, was on a smaller road above the town of Pinhao.

If you are into megaliths, the best tour we had in Portugal was to the Cromeleque dos Almendre ( near Evora) with Ebora Megalithic Guided Tour. Lead by an archeologist we learned so much about that time period and how it influenced today's society. Worth every penny.
https://www.eboramegalithica.com/actividades

Another place we really enjoyed was a visit to Castelo de Almourol. It is a an old castle that sits on an island in the Tagus River south of Tomar. Displays in English told all about the history as you climb the stairs and visit the room and climb the ramparts.
https://welcome-to.pt/castelo-de-almourol-2023/

Have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 10:52 PM

Of possible interest, the granaries near Lindoso:

the pre-historic rock carvings near Fos de Côa

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:24 AM

My husband and I did a Portugal trip a few years ago in mid-June but we had less time than you had. We landed in Lisbon but picked up our rental car and drove to Evora. Absolutely loved Evora and was sorry we didn't stay there three nights instead of two and do some day trips from there. Next day was a long day of driving and we went to Castelo de Vide and Marvao. It was a long drive to Marvao and not really sure it was worth it actually. We drove west from there to Batalha and the next morning toured the absolutely incredible monastery. No waiting as we were there when it opened plus it was walking distance and we had a great view from our hotel. We drove from there to Coimbra, only spent time there to tour the university and the area around the university including several historic churches. Very hot there in mid-June and very hilly. We drove from there to Aviero and enjoyed a refreshing boat ride and then drove to Porto, where we stayed for two nights. It was a festival and we were told when we checked in not to go to the downtown riverfront area as mobbed and very crazy, so we went to dinner near our hotel. The next day we walked all over Porto, also very hilly and Porto bore the remains of the previous night's festival. Too overcast and breezy to take a boat ride as we had originally planned. Next morning we walked up another very large hill to see modern Porto, the symphony hall and as we hadn't made any reservations couldn't tour the synagogue that was close by. We then got our car and drove to Guimares, the historic capital of Portugal, medieval town and reminded us more of Belgium and northern France. Castle here very interesting more so than the one in Lisbon. We drove the next monastery at Alcobaca which was very empty and we totally enjoyed this. Since we had one this one as well as Batalha when we go to Lisbon we did not go to the monastery there as the line was incredibly long and it was too hot to wait on such a long line. We then drove to Lisbon with a quick stop in Obidos, returned our car at the airport and took the airport bus into Lisbon for our hotel near Rossio Square. Toured Lisbon for two days and then did a tour to Sintra with Hello Portugal that also stopped in Cascais as well as a monument that marks the westernmost part of continental Europe. Airport bus the next morning and flew home.
What i would skip would be Marvao if we went again. Would spend one more night in Evora and try to see more of the Douro Valley.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are using a car, most of that is very accessible from a train?
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 11:37 AM

We also loved Evora and i count Monsaraz as not-to-be missed. A top day among nothing but incredible days in our monthlong Portugal trip this May! Photography? We took pictures every other step! This museum is there, although it was closed on the day we visited: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...%B3ria-judaica

We did not do day trips to the other towns as much as we would have liked to.

There is also a synagogue in Lisbon to tour, but tours only by reservation (which we didn't realize when we showed up and were not allowed in): https://www.pathsoffaith.com/en/jewi...0I%20in%201496.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Why are using a car, most of that is very accessible from a train?
One reason for using a car is that it takes only 2.5 hours between Guimaraes and Alcobaça whereas the shortest train ride takes 4.5 hrs with a change of train. That would apply to many connections from one small town to the other. I did not check the bus schedule.
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 02:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Makes sense if you are time critical on a holiday I guess
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 05:52 PM

I also like visiting places that have historic significance, including Jewish history (that is one of the reasons I have included Castelo da Vide, Belmonte, Trancoso and Tomar).

Look at my trip report (Wonderful Portugal), as we also visited areas, and sites, with Jewish significance. Regarding Castelo da Vide, the synagogue/museum does not have a rest room. We did not get to Belmonte or Trancoso. We had a wonderful tour/lecture at the synagogue in Lisbon, which needs to be reserved in advance and be sure to arrive on time. The synagogue is not very evident from the street (on purpose), so make sure you allow time to find it. They are not pleased with late comers (our taxi could not find it and we were late). At the Sinagoga de Tomar and the Jewish Museum be sure to as to see the museum. We did not know it was there, left the synagogue and then, saw it and had to go back and request entry. In Monsaraz, there is the House of the Inquisiton, which we wanted to visit. We climbed down a rather steep street at the time it was supposed to be open. It was not, we waited, and when we called, they said it was just closed today... So, I suggest you call ahead. In Porto, we were set up to visit the synagogue (one needs to send passport info and pay a fee ahead). We did not get to Porto due to weather issues. If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestion and tips/links for sights to see along the way. I really appreciate your insights. I've made all my hotel reservations. One change I made was to spend two nights in Evora and I am hoping to include the Megaliths tour suggested by BarbAnn (or, if picking up the car at Lisbon takes more time than anticipated, at least stopping at the interpretive center and visiting some of the megalithic sites on my own en route to Evora). From Evora, I also plan to make a side trip to Monsaraz, maybe Vila Vicosa,, but probably not Elvas (too far out of the way, and there are other places I will be visiting with walls and aqueducts)..
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 01:32 AM

Looking good! We really enjoyed our tour of the Megaliths and would not have gotten the same appreciation for them without Sira from Evora Megalithica tours. When we would stop at other megalith sites, they came with no explanation or history markers. Have a wonderful trip!