Help with Paris Itinerary...

Jan 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Help with Paris Itinerary...

We have 3 1/2 days in early March to see Paris. First time for kids (12 and 16). Our French exchange student who stayed with us this summer in the states is planning on meeting us for the weekend in Paris which should help a lot. Here is what I have planned:

Friday March 7th
• Louvre Museum
Arrive in Paris at 4pm
Check in at hotel and head straight to Louvre (open until 10pm). This is a 10 minute metro ride from hotel. If we want to come back we can do so on Monday the 10th or if the weather is bad we can come back tomorrow.

Saturday 8th
*Paris Flea Market
* Effiel Tower (to the top)
* Arc de Triomphe (probably not to the top)
* Champs Elysees (a little shopping)
* Montemarte
* Sacre Cœur
* Place du Tertre
* Moulin Rouge (just to show kids where it is)

Sunday March 9th
Our daughters 16th Birthday
• Versailles* her must see
• Musee d'Orsay (if time permits)
• Evening cruise on the Siene? It is afterall her 16th birthday so I am open to any suggestions.

Monday 10th
*Notre Dame
*Sainte Chapelle
*Flower Market
*Conciergerie
* Musee de l'Orangerie des Tuileries
* last chance to return to the Louve

Based on this itinerary are there any museum passes I should get? We will be staying 2 blks from the Arc de Triomphe.

Jan 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

A museum pass (which you can pick
up at any museum) will be a good thing considering it will get you into everywhere on your itinerary except the Eiffel Tower.

Whether you can possibly DO verything on your itinerary in the time alloted is another matter!

I think you have far too much packed
in and really should drop a few things both to allow sufficient time elsewhere and to take into account travel between sites and time spent in lines. You will need to stop and eat a time or 2 also!

Here's what I'd suggest:

Friday... a 4 PM arrival puts you
at your hotel by 6 at the very earliest. Go for a stroll, eat,
see the Eiffel Tower light up.

Saturday: Arc, walk down Champs
Elysee, Louvre, Notre Dame, Ste
Chapelle (skip Conciergerie... basically just an old basement).
Ile St Louis if time allows. Cross
to left bank and walk partway through Latin Quarter/St Germain.

Sunday... Versailles. Squeeze in Orsay if there's time. Cruise.

Monday... Eiffel Tower (this can
take several hours depending on lines) Then catch something you may have missed above.

I thing you'll need to drop Montmartre/Sacre Couer due to lack of time. But if you're really energetic and good with the metro you never know!

Don't forget that there is always the possiblity of returning to Paris... seeing it all in a whirlwind may not be necessary!

Bon voyage!

Rob
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
ira

Hi M,

May I suggest that you skip the Louvre the first night? You will all be jet lagged and it would take a special kind of kid to get enthused about a museum.

You could take your Seine boat ride Friday.

On Saturday, since you are walking down the Champs, why not continue on to the Orangerie at Pl Concorde or go through the Tuileries to the Louvre?

On Monday you could visit Montmartre after ND and SC. The Montmartobus (no 18) will take you from Pigalle to Sacre Coeur - 1E. Walk back down.

I recommend against combining d'Orsay with Versailles.

If I may be so bold, where are you going that is worth cutting 2 1/2 days from Paris?

Jan 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM

I agree with Rob. Paris has SO MUCH to offer, yet a big part of it is just slowing down to enjoy it. Especially since you have your own local guide, let him show you his favorite things. Your family could each pick one must-see and that would be enough.

enjoy! you will be back!
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you one and all. All good sugestions. We are coming in from London on that first night and have very little planned so dont think we will be too tired. Any thoughts on the Cityrama open top bus tour to get the kids oriented to the city and see it all lit up?
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
ira

Hi M,

The Cityrama or the www.batobus.fr would be better than the Louvre.

Jan 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

One other thing....I could get up early in London and take the train in and have more time to take in the Lourve. I have already paid for the flight between London and Paris, but for $500.00 usd I could be there by 9:30 am.

Jan 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem super hyped up about the Louvre.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

We are museum people and my husband and I have been there before and loved it. Traveling with the kids I know that European art is an interest of theirs as well and I know that there are several pieces that they would be glad they saw.
No intention of spending a day there but wouldnt miss it.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM

The Musee d'Orsay is my favorite. Much smaller and easier to navigate.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I love the Louvre too. I think if you carefully plan out your visit there ahead of time you can see fabulous things without exhaustion. For instance, the Denon wing is a world unto itself and almost all I need to see. I know many are ho-hum about the Mona Lisa (I used to do that too) but I finally caught a close look at it. Wow!

I like to always pay a visit to the cat mummies in the basement, because I went there first at age 13. But then that's just me. Although my kids loved them too, showing that funny apples don't fall far from the tree.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip....my kids would definitley like that too!
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
MKE

I don't read French, but by clicking on the batobus web site -- see Ira's comment -- I get the impression that the Seine cruises will not be operating in early March. Perhaps someone else can confirm or knows of other cruise operators that might be operating in early March.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM

You mentioned that your French exchange student will be meeting you. Have you emailed him/her? I assume he/she is of an age similar to your kids. He/she will probably have some suggestions for their age range which will be a very special and unique experience.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM

MKE, the website--at least from what I see--doesn't have the schedule posted for 2008, but in 2007 there is a schedule listed for 9 February to 15 March and one for 16 March to 31 May. Hours are different but the boats appear to be in service during February and March.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM

magial,

I took my daughter to Paris for her 17th birthday in November.

Favorite thing? Eiffel Tower at night. We didn't even go up. She loved being right underneath it. The river cruises were in full swing in November - we didn't have time - but kept saying we would get on one. We had dinner in the Museum (?) just around the corner from the Eiffel tower. The restaurant there looks right at the Eiffel tower as it twinkles away and then after dinner we walked over.

She really loved the Louvre but she is studying Art History and is a history buff. I sprung for the Paris Muse tour which was perfect. I would highly recommend it, and you will find lots of recommendations here on this site for it as well. I explained her interests to the tour guide and she hit on things I knew nothing about but that my daughter kept saying, "OMG, I just studied those - is that the one by so-and-so"...etc. etc....

I loved the d'Orsay but she wasn't too impressed...by impressionism...oh well...She did think the building was impressive...

we both loved the Rodin...

She loved Laduree in the 6th...so did I...

She loved Galleries Lafayette...I hate to shop but it was her trip and we had fun "choosing" a perfume for her.

I thought she'd be more into Montmarte and Sacre Coeur but she wasn't as keen on it as I was...the view wasn't so clear the evening we went.

we both preferred Ste. Chappelle to Notre Dame - at least from the inside.

I was way more into St. Germain than she was. She liked the Champs Elysee and the GL area.

We walked alot...

We didn't have time for Versaille but I hope to take her there sometime before we leave Europe.

Have a wonderful trip. Dress warmly and bring comfortable shoes.

gruezi

Jan 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM

In my opinion, March 9th is too full.

My friends spent a full day at Versailles.

I am not much of a museum person, but the Musee d'Orsay is very nice and worth going to. I was there two hours, but could have stayed longer. The lines were really long, but my tour group had passes.

An evening cruise on the Siene was also a memorable event. It lasted at least one hour.
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

What a wonderful time. Your post was just what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing. I see some areas that I think I will tweak a bit. I think we will have a lot of omg moments as well...!
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

I am making a few changes. Some might shake their heads and think it's not an improvement. Feel free to say so. Instead of flying in we are taking an earlier train and this should make a pretty big difference. The Effiel Tower is a big deal to my kids so we will work it in. My 17 year old French student is a teenage girl who was really into Hollywood and San Fransisco and all the California things we did. I see her as a typical teenager and know she will be great as a local, but maybe not giving her enough credit that she is someone who will come with ideas or suggestions. I know she loved eating peanut butter toast and watch the OC and sleeping, but dont know how she feels about her own local "tourist" spots.

Let's see if I have made things better on my second try....

Friday March 7th
• Louvre Museum
Arrive in Paris at 10:30am
Check in at hotel eat lunch and head to Louvre (open until 10pm). We have our highlights that we want to see there and then we can cruise the city.
10pm there is an open top Cityrama bus tour of the city that I think the kids would enjoy.

Saturday 8th
* Effiel Tower (to the top)
*Paris Flea Market
* Arc de Triomphe (probably not to the top)
* Champs Elysees (a little shopping)
* Place du Tertre
*Musee d'Orsay -If there is time

Sunday March 9th
Our daughters 16th Birthday
• Versailles* her must see
• Evening cruise on the Siene. Plan to use Bateaux Les Vedettes du Pont-Neuf

Monday 10th
*Notre Dame
*Sainte Chapelle
*Flower Market
*Conciergerie-just passing by