Help with Norway itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Norway in August. Is this itinerary doable and a good pace? We are going to rent a car but wasn’t sure if we should take a boat from Bergen to Balestrand and rent a car there or rent one in Bergen and drive to Balestrand (is it even possible to rent a car in Balestrand)? My hotels are booked but they can be changed. My husband wanted to drive to Geiranger too but I think it is too much driving. I would rather enjoy where we are going to be, and hike on a glacier, take some hikes and bike rides, take a boat ride down a fjord etc. As we are going to have a car should we take the train from Flam to Myrdal or do some driving in the area instead? Thanks for any and all tips.
Bergen - Scandic Byparken - 2 nights
Balestrand – Dragsvik Fjordhotel - 1 night
Hoyheimsvik – Nes Gard – 2 nights
Norheimsund – Thon Hotel Sandven – 2 nights
Back to Bergen and fly to Stockholm
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:45 PM

Balestrand is one of the prettiest places Ive been, but I'm pretty sure you can't rent a car there.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Car hire in Balestrand http://leigebil.no
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dyoll. Do you think the boat or driving from Bergen to Balestrand makes more sense? I am checking to see if there will be a big drop fee if I drop off in Bergen when renting in Balestrand. It looks like we could drive up the E39 to Balestrand, do our touring and then back on the E16 doing a circular route. Is there much to see on the 39?
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM

I stand corrected. I do remember that when I was planning my trip, I did find a car rental place in Balestrand but my ( obviously too quick ) research this time didn't show one.

I did take the ferry from Bergen to Balestrand and, in spite of several people saying it was only good for transport and not sightseeing, it was one of the best ferry trips I took. I enjoyed it much more than the Flam/Gudvagen trip which is hugely popular. Of course, the day I traveled was a clear, sunny day but absolutely loved it. The ferry was new that year as a different company had taken over. It was essentially a catamaran and just seemed to skim over the surface of the water. The ferry from Bergen to Balestrand along with the ferry from Balestrand to Mundal along the Fjaerlandsfjord were the highlights of my trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks historytraveler. There is a lot of information to get through and every tip helps. I can't decide whether driving from Bergen is a good trip. Was thinking of driving up the E39 then come back via Flam and head to Hardangerfjord doing a circular route back to Bergen. Not knowing the roads I don't have any idea what the E39 is like which is why I am considering the boat. Glad to hear it is a good option.