Help with my travel in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the midst of my very very extensive europe trip, I have about 2 days in Switzerland where I have no idea where to go to. I plan either to:

1 day in Luzerne
1 day in Interlaken

or spend 2 days in either Luzerne or Interlaken. So far I've done some research into it, and found out that there's much more I can visit/sights to see in Luzerne, while Interlaken is just a city with all youth activities. I am not really keen on paragliding/skiing/snowboarding, etc, do you people think I will still enjoy myself in Interlaken? Just strolling lazily around the city, etc?
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:06 PM

Hi Aleckii,

Well, *in* Interlaken, no. Interlaken is usually used as a base to explore the mountain peaks (Schilthorn & Jungfraujoch) and the mountain villages (Wengen, Muerren, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald). The town itself is a charmless agglomeration of tourist shops, hotels, and two train station.

You may want to consider spending those two days in one of the mountain villages I named above, or in Lauterbrunnen in the valley. You'll have plenty to do for two days -- Alpine walks, Alpine gardens, etc. The downside is that these villages are a further 40 minutes or so from Interlaken, so if you don't have much time they may not be convenient for you.

Luzern is a lovely city, and you would be very happy with a short stay there.

What time of year are you going? You mention winter sports, so are you going in a few weeks?

s
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM

I'm with Swandav here - book a room for two nights in Luzern, a nice manageable town by the lake, good as a home base - it is only an hour from Zürich in case that matters, and between lake trips, the two nearby mountains Rigi and Pilatus, and Engelberg/Titlis and Einsiedeln and others in the region (go on Google for all these names), you have more than enough options once you get there.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your tips. i suppose i will spend 2 days in luzerne then. could you suggest 2 days initiary? i have a railpass so one one of the days I get a free steamer/boat ride or discounted ride to one of the alps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
While in Luzern, I really enjoyed the Swiss Transportation Museum.
www.verkehrshaus.ch
A steamer/boat ride is excellent also.

Paul
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM

Repeating myself: "... between lake trips, the two nearby mountains Rigi and Pilatus, and Engelberg/Titlis and Einsiedeln and others in the region (go on Google for all these names), you have more than enough options once you get there. "