Help with Mallorca in November

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Help with Mallorca in November

My adult daughter and I will be visiting Mallorca for the first time in mid- November 2007. We plan to spend one night in Palma at the Born Hotel. Leaning toward the Hotel Mar-i-Vent in Banyalbufar (for the sea views) for the remaining 2 nights but also considering the Hostal Villaverde and the C'an Oliver, Pension Miramar, both in Deia. Is anyone familiar with these places and also, in general, what will be open in November? I realize that it probably won't be warm weather, just looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the natural beauty. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM

While I'm not familiar with the places you mention, I was in Deia in April and loved it. IMO it's MUCH NICER than Palma, but also much quieter with fewer options as far as dining and such, but if you have a car, Valldemossa is nearby and worth checking out (well known for its famous visitors--Chopin and George Sand, as it Soller, which had many nice shops and restaurants.

Also worthwhile were the caves (touristy, but rather amazing) and the Nature Reserve and, if you like art, the Miro Foundation (nearer to Palma, but had to find.)
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM

im so excited mum! It's going to be so much fun!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I road around the Island in November a few years ago when the worst rain arrived, so while warmish just be prepared. Also noted that some shops closed up for the winter (no icecream in one town!). Local red wines are big and Artisanal so if trying ask for a big glass and swirl it around.

Beauty well the North West is the best for me. Spend no time on the "pearl shops" Old Palma is worth a day. Train north is a bit of fun. The bird marshes in the North may be of interest but I'm not an expert. A few good abbeys (some have restaurants) and then their are archdukes riding paths.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:43 AM

You definitly need a rental car. Both Banyalbufar and Deia are in the most beautiful part of the island, but they are small villages and pretty remote. There is a bus, but I strongly recommend a car.

There won't be any beach weather in November, and most of the outdoor pools will be closed (unless they are heated - better ask the hotel).

But Mallorca is still good for sightseeing, eating, drinking, relaxing.

Palma is a beautiful Spanish city - with a gorgeous cathedral, a medieval Royal Palace, nice old town, many Gaudi (art nouveau) buildings and some modern art (Joan Miro).

The landscape on the western shore (where you will stay) is dramatic and offer many scenic drives. Make sure to visit Sa Calobra, a canyon that opens to the sea.

There are very picturesque villages, towns and cities. Must-sees are Valldemossa and Soller.

You will find excellent restaurants on the islands. One of my favorite is Ca's Puers in Soller. Consult the Guide Michelin for Spain.

An special experience will be a lunch or dinner with Mallorca's specialty: the suckling pig. You will get the best in the tiny village Orient.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful posts.
Bilboburglar, where are the bird marshes in the north? And are the archdukes riding paths hiking trails? I appreciate the heads-up about the possible rainy weather. And the wine!
Traveller 1959, yes we do plan to rent a car. I had the best response from carjet. Are they recommended? We will definitely try Ca's Puers, if they're open in November,and suckling pig in Orient. Thanks for the help!
I've decided on Hotel Mar i Vent in Banyalbufar. How long does it take to drive from Banyalbufar to Deia, Soller, Valledemossa and/or Orient?
Yes, kellymasterson, we will have great fun I'm sure!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I do not know carjet. I know that some of the independent rental agencies are not reliable. I would stick to one of the big international companies: Avis, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt. Also try www.holidayautos.de - they have usually great rates (with every insurance included!) and cooperate with reliable companies. It is German-based, but has a website in English too.

The roads in Tramuntana are windy. I estimate the following driving times:

Banyalbufar - Deia: 25km/30 min.
Banyalbufar - Valldemossa: 12km/15 min.
Banyalbufar - Soller: 32km/35 min.
Banyalbufar - Orient: 35km/ 45 min.

These are all scenic drives. Enjoy and stop at vistas to make photos!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM

We rented from carjet and they were great. Someone side-swipped us in the street when we weren't in the car, and carjet didn't charge us a penny or give us a hard time. We've had good experiences with autoeurope too. Hertz was a total nightmare for us, and others have had problems as well (check out a current thread). But I do agree that you did a car.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help regarding car rentals. I did decide to book with Carjet (car-jet.co.uk). They were much cheaper than Holiday Autos, Europcar, Autoeurope or Sixt, along with athe good recommendation from artlover. We are renting a Renault Clio for $62.35 for 4 days all inclusive.
Traveller1959, I really appreciate the driving time info!
Now if I can just decide where to stay in Palma the first night. Any recommendations? Would prefer $100 to $150 but will pay up to $200.