Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with London hotel choices and Queen's Parade??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Chris

We will be in London June 16-18. Trying to choose between these hotels: <BR>Hilton Green Park - Half Moon Street <BR>Jolly St Ermins - Caxton Street <BR>Hilton Trafalgar - Spring Garden <BR>Radisson Pastoria - St Martin St <BR> <BR>Looking mainly for easy/quick proximity (walking, tube, double-decker buses) to see our itinerary: Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Cabinet War Rooms, Piccadilly Circus, Camden or Whitechapel Market, Speaker's Corner, Hard Rock Cafe, Tower of London. Also restaurants/ pubs, of course. Any recommendations? <BR> <BR>Also, we will be arriving via air at 9:15 am on Saturday, June 16, the morning of the Queen's Birthday Parade via Gatwick. Will we have time to get to Horseguards Rd / The Mall by 11 AM, which I have heard is parade time? We are planning to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station, but not sure from there what is the most direct way (tube, bus?) to get to the parade. <BR> <BR>Any help is appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Chris

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:26 AM
lisa

<BR>hiya chris... <BR>sorry, i dont have any info on the hotels you are looking at. <BR>but on your question about getting to horse guards road by 11..if you are arriving at gatwick 9:15 i just dont think you will make it. in past experiences it has taken me til about 12;30 to get from gatwick to central london. <BR>i also think i read somewhere that you needed tickets for the parade...but i could be wrong on that. <BR> <BR>enjoy your trip to london. <BR>lisa <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:41 AM
wes fowler

Chris, <BR>The first question that comes to mind is: Following the mad dash from Gatwick to London and thence to the Mall, what will you do with your luggage? It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to make the Birthday Parade. You might consider viewing the 41 gun royal salute in Green park at 12:52 or more likely, the 62 gun salute at the Tower of London at 1PM. Expect the Tower to be crowded and admission lines long. <BR> <BR>It's one stop on the Victoria tube line from Victoria Station to Green Park; nine stops on either the Circle or District Line from Victoria to Tower Hill. <BR> <BR>You ask about hotels offering convenience to attractions, tube and bus lines. The Radisson Pastoria on St. Martin St appears the most convenient. It's not far from the Leicester Square and Piccadilly tube stops, the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and Trafalgar Square are but a short walk away. Here's an interesting pub walk that begins on St Martin's Lane, just two blocks from St. Martin's Street. Here’s a walk that covers four rather historic pubs in a relatively concentrated area. Walk across Trafalgar Square to St. Martin’s Lane. (It’s between the National Gallery and St. Martin in the Fields church. At 90 St. Martin’s Lane, you’ll find The Salisbury Pub which dates from the mid 19th century and is notorious for the bare knuckle fights that were held there in that era. It’s a stunning pub and you may find it filled with theatre people. Leave the pub, cross St. Martin’s Lane and enter Goodwin’s Court at 55-56 St. Martin’s Lane. Goodwin’s Court is a wonderfully authentic 18th century street. At its end turn left on Bedfordbury, then right on New Row, cross Garrick Street and continue straight onto Rose Street to 33 Rose, The Lamb and Flag pub. This one is really old, being one of the few wooden structures to survive the Great Fire of 1666. It was once known as the “Bucket of Blood” because of all the fights that broke out in it. It was also one of Charles Dickens favorite spots on his pub crawls. Backtrack to Garrick Street, turn left, continue down Garrick (which changes its name to Bedford) to The Strand and turn left again. Continue on The Strand to 91 The Strand and The Coal Hole pub. Now a popular refuge for theatre people, it got its name in the early 19th century from the coal haulers who unloaded boats on the river and went there to restore themselves. Leave the pub, cross The Strand and walk straight ahead to Southampton Street. Walk up to Maiden Lane, turn left and continue on Maiden Lane which changes its name to Chandos Place. At 51 Chandos Place you’ll find the Marquis of Granby pub which dates to the 17th century when it was called “The Hole in the Wall” and run by a mistress of the Duke of Buckingham. It’s a friendly tavern which, like the others, attracts theatre people. Now backtrack on Chandos to Southampton, turn left on Southampton and continue up the hill to Covent Garden Market where you won’t find any pubs of historic significance but you will find three pubs on the north side of the market, any one of which serves pretty good traditional pub food. <BR> <BR>Remember that most pubs are of the self service variety. You order food and drink at the bar and pick it up yourself. Also, traditionally, bartenders are not tipped. <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:53 AM
wes fowler

Chris, <BR>Both the No. 11 and No. 15 double decker buses stop at Trafalgar Square. By taking both, in both directions, you'll see every major site in London except Harrod's and Buckingham Palace. <BR>Here's an idea or two: <BR>The London Transport bus network is far more extensive than the underground and extremely “user friendly”. It also offers covered double deck buses, a godsend in inclement weather coupled with the advantage of being able to see London rather than underground tunnel walls. The underground on the other hand has stairs to cope with and lengthy walks from one underground line to another at many of the stations. The underground maps are misleading with regard to distance, as well. Two stations that on the map appear to be a city block apart may well be a quarter mile or more from each other. You can pick up a Central London bus route map at any tube station or tourist information office. The map will identify all the major tourist sites and the bus routes passing them. Rather than attempting to orient yourself to London by taking a commercial tour bus with a bunch of other tourists from Idaho, Hong Kong and Sydney, first pick up a copy of the A-Z Visitors’ London Atlas and Guide. It’s about the size of a postcard and less than half an inch thick, but it lists every major attraction in London, opening and closing hours and nearest underground station. It also has a superbly detailed set of maps that identify every street, attraction on it, underground stations and bus routes identified by street. It’s available at bookstores, tourist information offices and most newstands. Now, purchase a London transport ticket for Zone 1 and 2 (where almost all of the attractions are located). Costs will range from about 4 pounds for a daily pass to 6 pounds for a week end pass. The passes allow you to hop on or off buses as you see fit. With A-Z Guide in hand, you have a couple of inexpensive sightseeing options. At Victoria Station, board one of the red enclosed double decker London Transport buses marked “11 Liverpool Street Station”. Sit up top up front. You’ll drive past Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, up Whitehall past 10 Downing Street, Horse Guards and Banqueting Hall to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery, then onto the Strand past the Courtauld Institute, to Fleet Street and the Royal Courts of Justice, and on to St. Paul’s Cathedral. As an alternate, at Paddington Station or Marble Arch, board the city bus marked “15 Canningtown” and ride down Oxford Street past Selfridge’s department store to Oxford Circus then down Regent Street past Liberty’s and Josiah Wedgewood to Piccadilly Circus and on to Trafalgar Square, St. Paul’s and the Tower of London. Get on and off as frequently as you please, your ticket (which may cost less than 10% of the one for the commercial tour bus) is good all day. By combining both bus rides you will end up seeing every one of London’s major attractions except Buckingham Palace and Harrod’s. The advantages? You set the pace. You save considerable money. You can get on and off wherever you choose (for lunch, to explore, to shop) rather than just where the tour bus stops. You may have the opportunity to interact with a native Londoner (“Excuse me, ma’am, is that the British Museum to our left?) rather than a fellow tourist or tour guide. Disadvantages? You don’t have the benefit of a guide’s narrative, a small price to pay. <BR>Drop me an Email if you've any questions. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Chris

Thanks, everyone, for this help! Wes - to answer the question about luggage - we are packing very lightly - just backpacks... <BR>Lisa, you are right about the parade ticket. But we hoped to just catch a glimpse, or, at a minimum just enjoy the excitement of the parade crowd. But that's okay, maybe we'll get to Green Park in time for the gun salute..

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:44 AM
David White

Chris, <BR> <BR>Info on the Jolly St. Ermins...I stayed there last year when it was the Hilton St. Ermins (it was the Stakis St. Ermins the year before that!). Despite the name changes, the hotel is good. Well located just south of St. James's Park and walking distance to the park, Westminster Abbey, etc. The hotel is also literally across the street from New Scotland Yard, and within a block of a tube stop. <BR> <BR>The hotel is U-shaped, with a central parking/entrance/courtyard. Rooms facing the courtyard experience less traffic noise than you find at some hotels in busy London. The hotel has several classes of rooms...I think only the upgraded ones have A/C. Lobby of the hotel is very ornate. A few pubs and restaurants in the vicintity. <BR> <BR>Regarding your list of sights--you've got a lot of great places here: <BR> <BR>--Buckingham Palace-of course <BR>--Westminster Abbey-definitely <BR>--Big Ben-OK, but its just a small part of the Parliament/Westminster Palace complex <BR>--Cabinet War Rooms-quite interesting <BR>--Piccadilly Circus-a walk around or ride through it will suffice <BR>--Camden or Whitechapel Market-a market would be interesting IF you have time <BR>--Speaker's Corner-quirky, but take time to walk in Hyde Park too <BR>--Hard Rock Cafe-What? How did this over-commercial joint get on your list <BR>--Tower of London-don't miss it. <BR> <BR>Hope my info and opinions are helpful. <BR> <BR>David White <BR>[email protected] <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Chris

Thanks David, that is really helpful. <BR>I promised a teenage relative that I'd pick him up a Hard Rock t-shirt.. Thanks again!!