Reload this Page >

Help with learning French

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:21 PM
carole

I am going to France this summer and have never taken French. I've been listening to a Berlitz tape ad nauseum and now know a bit but I need to find other resources. Do you have any suggestions for tapes, books, CDs, computer programs, etc.?

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:27 PM
StCirq

Carole: <BR> <BR>First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to learn some French before traveling to France - your efforts will be amply rewarded. If your local cable TV or other programming ever shows a series called "France in Action," filmed originally for Yale University students, tune into it and follow it religiously - it's excellent. Barring that, see if you can find the Champs Elysées tape series - I never used them (grew up speaking French and didn't need them) - but my husband and daughter have found them to be great! <BR>Our Borders and Barnes & Noble here in the DC area have them, so maybe that's a start.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:43 PM
Kathy

Hi Carole, <BR>There are a couple of specific cassette series you might want to try. <BR> <BR>French for Travelers in the Fodor's Languages for Travelers Series might be useful. <BR> <BR>The Olivia & Hill Press (you can reach them through their web site www.oliviahill.com) has a series called Entre Nous that may be useful, as well as a book/cassettes on French slang (l'argot). The Olivia & Hill Press is run by a French woman & her British husband, both former professors of French language & literature. <BR> <BR>Simon & Schuster may have something along the CD and/or CD rom line, but it might be pricey. Their toll-free phone number is 800-223-2348 & you will get a little audio menu when you phone; just hang in their for one of their reps. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps & you have a great trip, <BR>Kathy

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:46 PM
Chris Philhower

Nothing can really prepare you for being there and hearing it, but you can avoid being completely shell-shocked. Try putting an ad in the local college or high school paper for someone to speak French with, or try to find a tutor (maybe the high school's French teacher.) <BR> <BR>Just remember -- you may be able to ask the question in French, but they'll answer you in French too! The French speak quickly, and it's tough for me to keep up (but, I am an old dog and this is a new trick). But for the most part, you will be answered in English -- mercifully, they know you're "not from around here." <BR> <BR>Have fun! The French really do appreciate you trying their language. It amuses them too. Just don't be too sensitive about it. You'll get blank stares, you'll get a lot of the tilted head questioning look, but mostly you'll get smiles and the help you need (after the chuckles.) <BR> <BR>And have the thing that you want or need written down (if it's difficult to pantomime.) Especially addresses for cab drivers! Don't count on people being able to understand you. <BR> <BR>It sounds horrible and difficult -- but it's not. Just a few tricks I've learned and observations I've made. <BR> <BR>I know you'll have a great time!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:52 AM
Lucy

Wow, I'm not Carole but its so reassuring to read such encouraging messages - thank-you StCirq, Kathy & Chris! I too am learning French (doing a weekly class) & am trying to build my confidence in using it so once I'm over there later this year I don't wimp out & just resort to only using English! I'm glad to hear the effort to learn some of the language will be more than worth it!! Cheers!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:41 AM
francesca

The Pimsleur series of language tapes are really effective. Go to a French movie and see how much you understand without looking at the sub titles (renting videos at home could be helpful, too).

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:17 AM
Rex

In case you have trouble finding the Yale/WGBH telecourse mentioned by StCirq, it's actually called "French in Action", not "France in Action". <BR> <BR>See http://www.pbs.org/als/guide/coursel...ourses/french/ for more info. <BR> <BR>Here in Columbus (Ohio), you can watch two back to back episodes every Tuesday evening (and other day times throughout the week I think) on Educable (not on WOSU, our local PBS affiliate), and even get college credit, if you do all the associated exercises (requires buying books, other materials, I suppose). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:52 AM
Lori

Good for you for learning some of the language before you go. I found that although most people in the cities do speak English, they really appreciate you trying. I found a great website - www.parlo.com that e-mails language lessons on a weekly basis. They have Spanish and French and probably some others, I just don't remember. You don't hear the pronunciation, but they give you the phonetics for each word. They have a topic a week, one week it was sports, one week it was shopping (important for travelers). Try it and have a wonderful time.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:29 AM
dan woodlief

I seldom see them mentioned, but I love the Vocabulearn tapes. It is hard to learn a language in a short time, and those conversation-based tapes are so hard to listen to in the car. The Vocabulearn tapes are great for building vocabulary and learning how words are pronounced. One section will give a word or phrase in French and give you a second or so to think before providing the translation. The next section will do the same with other words, but give you the English first.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:26 AM
Tracy

Coucou Carole, <BR> <BR>Check out BBC Education's homepage for learning French: <BR> <BR>http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/langu...ch/index.shtml <BR> <BR>Lotsa good realmedia clips from BBC shows . . . I just did their Spanish stuff for a trip and it really helped out! Good luck =)

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:06 AM
SharonM

Perhaps you still have time to take a continuing education "Conversational French" class at a local university/college? I think it always helps to hear/converse first hand... <BR> <BR>Tapes are excellent in addition to, or if not possible, in lieu of taking a class... <BR> <BR>How long will you be in France?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:02 PM
janice

I took classes at our local French Alliance - pretty helpful. I can also warmly endorse the Pimsleur tapes - they're not cheap, but very very useful. Anything you learn will put you miles ahead, and will be well appreciated. <BR>My boyfriend's favorite tip: the most useful things to know are food and numbers.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:06 PM
Carole

Thanks for all your useful information. I will certainly take advantage of your suggestions. I will be in Paris a week and Provence for six days. I'll keep working on my French until we arrive on July 16th. <BR> Au revoir (I think that's how you spell it. Remember, I listen to a tape and don't read while driving.)