Help with itinerary

Mar 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Help with itinerary

We (husband, myself and kids aged 6 and 7) are going to Italy for a couple of weeks in June/July

I am planning flying into Rome (4 nights) catch train or bus to Amalfi Coast and am not sure where a good base would be. I am not keen on Naples but want to visit Pompeii and Capri. Any suggestions?

Then we train back up to Siena (pick up a car), stay somewhere around central Tuscany for 7 nights. Back to Siena, drop car and go up to Florence for 4 nights before flying out of there.

I am just not sure about where to stay on Amalfi coast. Can anyone help? Thanks
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
ira

Hi oz,

>catch train or bus to Amalfi Coast and am not sure where a good base would be.<

For how long?

Do you want to see or do anything other than Pompeii and Capri?

Mar 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM

I know you didn't ask about logistics, but...

Since Florence is closer to Rome than Naples, have you considered doing Rome, then Tuscany, ending at the Amalfi Coast (flying out of Naples)? It would require less travel overall, which is always good with young kids in tow.

Sorrento and Positano are popular bases for the Amalfi Coast.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM

ozchick,
see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34416016
for ideas.
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM

I would take the express Eurostar to Naples, and have a driver pick you up and drive you to Pompeii. They will wait for you to take your tour which is about 2-3 hours, then drive you on to your hotel. Sorrento is a nice base camp for Amalfi coast, although Positano is much more quaint and smaller. You could also have the driver pick you up the next morning and drive you all along the Amalfi coast and on to Ravello which is well worth the visit. Skip Capri - the Amalfi coast is so beautiful that personally I don't think Capri adds anything and it is very very crowded with tour boat people and very expensive. We were sorry we wasted a day there. Our driver was Renato Cuomo and he was wonderful - spoke excellent English. www.cuomonet.it. phone 0039-3391612081. I would definitely use his services again as he is a charming and knowledgeable guide. The cost was very reasonable. About 120E for the Naples train station pickup and Pompeii trip and on to the hotel in Sorrento. And about 200 E for the trip along the Amalfi coast for the entire day. That way you'll spend your time seeing the things that are worthwhile. Visit Villa Cimbrone in Ravello as the gardens are quite amazing. We then had him drive us back to the Naples train station the following day (60 euro) and took the express train to Florence. We rented a car on our departing day from Florence and drove to Siena. We used Siena as a base camp for a week in Tuscany and were very pleased. We stayed at a small pensione inside the walls (very reasonable) called Palazzo Ravizza. We then drove to Venice and dropped off the car and spend a few days and flew home from there. Great trip!