Help with Italy trip for 2 ladies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 women in our 60’s that would like to stay for a month in Italy during September - our thought is to fly into Milan and stay in a “home base” for about a week or so visiting Lake Como and it’s surrounding towns. Maybe rent a car ? After that either drive towards Venice stopping along the way in some worthwhile places - where ? Our last 2 weeks we would stay in Venice since we both went through Venice very fast and we want to see a lot more.

Our interests are culture and we are foodies - so recommendations on where to go are greatly appreciated.

Anyplace where we stay has to have “action and atmosphere “

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Verona, Padua, Ferrara all nice to base in. Bologna is a great train centre with lots of student action..

You might also like to try agriturismi, more in the country but cheeper and with a great B&B vibe. Look at agriturismo.it

Emiglia-Romana Is the foodie place
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 01:48 PM

Unless you want to visit hard-to-get-to small villages, I would bother with a car - it may be more hassle than it's worth if visiting larger towns.

Between Como and Venice, we especially enjoyed Bergamo and Vicenza.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 09:36 PM

Is this for September 2019 or 2020?
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 12:39 AM

If you're willing to get to know it, Milan itself could easily consume a week of your time before you head to the beautiful lakes.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 06:46 AM

Hello ladies,
I would stay in Milan and the surrounding area a little longer. Rent a car and just get lost ... the perfect way to see unexpected gems. Then for the trip from Milan to Venice, I would take the train with a stop in Verona. Maybe stay overnight. And then, oh my, Venice.... enjoy every moment!!
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think this sounds lovely. But I would skip the rental car. Personal choice, but for me renting and driving in a foreign country would stress me out and I think an unnecessary expense and aggravation.

I'd just plan the trip around what can be easily done by train (or bus or shuttle or boat). Drinking a glass of wine, having lunch on a train watching the scenery roll by vs. me driving a car down a crazy highway... no contest -haha.

If two weeks is in Venice (love that idea!) to fill another two weeks with Milan, Lake Como, and just a couple other towns seems like you already have a great plan!
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 02:40 PM

We loved our stay in Bologna. I think you would really enjoy the Italian Days Food tour - we had a terrific time. https://www.italiandays.it