help with Ireland priorities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Ireland in May and don't have enough time to do all that I'd like (of course). We will have ten days in the country. I lived briefly in Galway and Dublin several years ago and so both cities automatically make the list. However, I'm having trouble ranking my other priorities below.

The crux of the problem is that I'm split between the East and West coasts. In order to have a more relaxing trip I think I'll need to cut. Any advice is appreciated.

1. Newgrange - I'm fairly committed to this
2. Glendalough - I've gotten mixed reviews
3. Kilkenny - off the trail to Galway. Worth it?
4. the Burren
5. Connemarra
6. Co. Donegal - so far out of the way, but isn't that the point?
7. Sligo

Thanks!
SMB1
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Of those on your list, I've been to 1, 2, and 3. I would definitely see Newgrange, and I love Glendalough (I return each visit!). However, nice as it is, if it is out of your way, I'd skip Kilkenny. Great place, but not worth cutting out the others.

Can't help you in the north
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM

My honeymoon in Ireland way back in 1991 was for ten days. Yes, it is hard to narrow down a best of Ireland in ten days. I might add Doolin on the west coast. The pubs of Doolin have rollicking amateur folk music events on most nights that is a joy to listen to. Doolin is not far from the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher. My wife and I enjoyed the rustic Ring of Kerry. I have been told that Dingle peninsula is well worth the visit.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Can you fly into Shannon and out of Dublin (or the other way around)? If so, what you have on your list is quite do-able with a small bit of effort. Since you don't mention any sites in the southwest (Dingle, Killarney, Kinsale, Cork or points in between), you could fly into Shannon, drive to the Cliffs of Moher, tour the Burren and settle for the night in either Doolin (low stress) or Galway (if you have the stamina). From Galway, drive through Connemeara to Mayo, then onward to Sligo and Donegal.
From Donegal cut a diagonal to Newgrange. Pick up Kilkenny and Glendalough on the same day, spending the night then finish up in Dublin.
Go to www.aaroadwatch.ie to plot the routes and figure where overnight stops are needed. Add time to their listings, though. I don't know too many that can cover Irish ground as quickly as they claim.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Hi,

I'm living here in Ireland, and while I do like Kilkenny, I would concur with one of the above posters that it will take you out of your way.
Stick to the West coast, west Cork is nice, maybe worth thinking about.

Have a nice time,

P.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

For me, the Burren was depressing. I wouldn't cross the street to visit it again. It's my understanding that the Connemara extends al the way up into Mayo (Westport?). I think I would go further north, to Mayo on the way to Sligo & Donegal. That way you might take in Achill Island or even InisGlora before heading east on the N-59, maybe stopping at Ceide fields before going north toward Sligo & Donegal.

Of course, it all depends on what you want to do and the places you want to visit. I have roots in Mayo, so my reply may be colored by that; but I like Knock Shrine on the Roscommon-Mayo border and Ballina and Belmullet.