Reload this Page >

Help with Ireland Itinary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 1998, 05:46 PM
SUSIE

I am planning a three month trip to Europe next fall, and I have set aside two weeks for Ireland. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions for the best use of my time, and the best places to see. I am interested in scenic places, castles, and unique places. <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 1998, 05:45 AM
mavis

We have just returned fr. our second trip to Ireland. Would definitely recommend renting two self-catering cottages for a week each in two different parts of the country and making day-trips from there. You can cover a lot of ground in a day driving in Ireland, or perhaps drive around for a week, then rent a cottage for the second week. I have more info. on cottage rentals if you need. Places to see? This would be my list: Bunratty Castle and Folk Park - it's touristy but that's part of the fun of it. The Castle isn't something to hoot about, especially if you will be seeing castles in England and Wales, but the Folk Park and Village is really worthwhile, as is having a pint at Durty Nelly's, particularly if at that point you are lonesome for some American/Canadian accents. Would also go to Waterford and tour Crystal factory, visit the beaches around Ardmore (make sure you do the cliff walk there) and Youghal (make sure you have seafood at Aherne's), the interpretative centre at Cobh (pronounced Cove - outstanding), dinner at one of bushel of fantastic restaurants in Kinsale (and a pint at The Spaniard), Muckross House, Ring of Kerry, Bantry House, Glengariff and the small island just off it that is one of the most beautiful gardens you can imagine (the name escapes me at this moment), Cliffs of Moher, perhaps Rock of Cashel, Roundstone (don't miss the beach at Dog's Bay - breathtaking), Lough Corrib, Cong (home of the amazing Ashford Castle and where The Quiet Man was filmed), and of course Dublin. There are also places in Northern Ireland I could recommend, but we decided to steer clear for another year or so. If they can set off a bomb in quiet, out-of-the-way Omagh, they can have a bomb anywhere. <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 1998, 06:10 PM
Judy

Just got back Nov. 1st and loved the Dingle peninsula better than Kerry. The Rock of Cashel is OK. Waterford Crystal tour is GREAT ! Muckross House in Kilarney National Park is interesting. Favorite area was Connemara--spent three nights there driving all around. Be sure to visit the lead mine!

Old Nov 4th, 1998, 06:11 AM
Colleen

To the above I would add my vote for the Dingle Peninsula, particularly the Conor Pass, and Glendalough, in Co. Wicklow, with it's round tower, St. Kevin's Kitchen, monks huts around the lake, and of course, ancient gravestones. When in Dublin, visit St. Michan's church - in the catacomb beneath the church are mummified bodies. Apparently the atmosphere preserves them. There's a Crusader, and it is also the burial place (crypt)of Bram Stoker's family. Appropriate. Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 4th, 1998, 09:25 AM
Kim Donohue

Hi Susie! Greetings from Kilkenny, Ireland! If you can make it to our medieval city for a day trip, you can tour through Kilkenny Castle, and hit all the local shops. I would also have to agree with all the advice above, My husband and spent a long weekend in the west, hitting Cork ( you can kiss the blarney stone!), Dingle- make sure you take the spiring coast road around Slea Head, gazing at coves, beaches and the Blasket Islands. Inch Beach is beautiful as well! If you can make it up to Connemara, Galway area, I've heard it's worth it, especially the Aran Islands. If you would like to e-mail me I would be happy to help in any way. Cheers!

Old Nov 5th, 1998, 08:55 AM
Joe

This is good advice, but let me add a recommendation for Dublin, as well. It's an immpressive Georgian city -- I'd expected it to look far more Gothic -- with lots of parks, sites, and first class museums. The National Museum is worthwhile for exhibits on Medieval Irland and on the Easter rising.

Old Nov 6th, 1998, 06:11 PM
helen

Susie -- you don't say how you're travelling, but if you have a car, I would second the recommendation of the Dingle Peninsula. We spent a week there in August and it was great. If you're a hiker, the Mountain Man shop in Dingle can give you lots of great suggestions. We took several day hikes and were never disappointed with their recommendations. A day on the Blasket Islands, off the westernmost end of the peninsula, was the highlight of the week. but the prehistoric sites are pretty great, too. On the other side of Ireland, aboaut 50 miles north of Dublin, I'd recommend a trip to Newgrange, a burial site from about 3000 B.C. Small groups are still allowed in the site, it's pretty unbelievable. Even our teenaged kids were close to awe. The carvings in rock and the chambers with various sized vessels are all so mysterious, and the alignment between the main chamber and the sun that occurs at sunrise on winter solstice was eerie. It's very crowded (though not many Americans), so go early and book a space at the visitors center for the trip to the site itself. It's the only way in. There are some B&Bs nearby that offer cheap tickets and quick access, too. (Mattock House in Slane was the one we stayed in). Our other favorite out of the way attraction was a number of Irish crosses, dating from the 6th - 10th century, most of them located off main roads, in small cemeteries in the middle of nowhere. The carvings on the crosses are amazing. And the scenery of those out of the way places was wonderful (Ahenny, Castledermott, Kilkiernan, Monasterboice were a few of the places,but there are lots of books all over Ireland that guide you to the crosses). <BR>