Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with info on the Canary Islands please!

Dec 29th, 2001, 05:42 AM
nina

I was thinking of going as an alternative to the caribbean, BUT, what is the weather like in mid-March? Can you swim in the ocean? pools? My second question is how does one get there? Flying from NYC (I know it's a long trip). If I want to check out prices what is the airport or airport code I need to type in? Thanks for your help!

Dec 29th, 2001, 07:46 AM
patg

Hi Nina -
Don't know how much I can help you, as I have planned a trip to the Islas Canarias but never got there. It was too far and too expensive, even for our Spanish relatives. All the flights I could find went through Madrid. The airport code for Tenerife is TFE. Some information in English is available at
http://www.tourspain.es/turespai/marcoi.htm
More information, but in Spanish, is at
www.cabtfe.es/scripts/LinkArea.idc?idTipo=1

Dec 29th, 2001, 07:54 AM
patg

Sorry, that airport code should be TFS for Queen Sofia on Tenerife, or TFN for the northern airport. LPA (Las Palmas, Grand Canary Island) also has flights, again from Madrid.

Dec 29th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Sjoerd

I have been to Tenerife, La Gomera, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.
All Canary Island are important and popular tourist destinations for Northern and Western Europeans, but there are differences between the islands.
Gran Canaria is a party island which mainly attracts younger people.
Tenerife is the most beautiful island with many opportunities for day-trips. It has the Teide volcano which is quite high and provides good hiking opportunities. Also, from Tenerife you can travel by boat to La Gomera, the only island which does not have an airport and is therefore much more quiet. Great hiking on Gomera.
Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are flatter and have fewer things to do. The weather in March should be nice. Not hot, but nice and warm and good for sunbathing and swimming.
Cheapest would probably be to go on a package tour from somewhere in Northern Europe. (UK, Germany, Netherlands) There are tours for 8 days including airfare from London, Frankfurt or Amsterdam and apartment for about 350 - 400 euros.

Dec 29th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Myriam

Nina,
I second Sjoerd's opinion having been on the same islands. They are beautiful and nearby for us Europeans but IN NO WAY comparable to the Caribbean!
Re weather & temps, with a bit of luck you may swim in the ocean but e.g. on Gran Canaria's southcoast there's so much wind that you will be frozen when you get out of the ocean (it is the Atlantic Ocean!). And we've had more bad luck than good luck with the weather in March/April.
Pricewise, when you want a good quality hotel you will have to spend as much as you would for a resort in the Caribbean.

Dec 29th, 2001, 12:27 PM
ingrid

I've been to the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria and Tenerife) as well as to the Caribbean (DR, Jamaica, Aruba, Turks & Caicos, Mexico) and really think it's not worth it to fly all the way over to the Canary Islands. It's full of Europeans, looking for a warm place in the sun. Also, another worthwhile option would be Costa Rica. It has beaches, rain forests, volcanoes.

Dec 29th, 2001, 12:57 PM
navyflyer

Dear friend,
I had the good fortune of being in the Canaries this last April. I cannot help you on how to get there because I happened to be on a Navy warship that visited Las Palmas. We spent a few days at Hotel Faro in Maspalomas. Maspalomas was beautiful. Also Playa del Ingles was great. As others have mentioned, it is more popular with western Europeans. My friend and I were the first Americans that some of the merchants had seen in a while. I highly recommend going there since not too many people can say they have been there.
We happened to get very good weather there. Yes, it can be windy but the water was swimable. We actually anchored off Laspalomas for one day and had a barbeque.
It is hot and dry. You need to drink lots of water there. It feels kind of like the Sahara just because of its location. We flew people into Las Palmas on Iberia but those were paid for by the government so I do not know how expensive it was. I recommend going there. Good Luck.

Dec 30th, 2001, 06:12 AM
nina

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info. I actually checked into flights and they are very expensive. I was looking at Costa Rica and have narrowed it down to there, or Los Cabos. Thanks again!

Dec 30th, 2001, 08:20 AM
dh

Where you flying from to get too Canary islands? I do not see it as very expenisve from here in the states.
I am looking into going myself so if i know the city from which you fly out of and see somthing i will let you know.
What is expensive for you???
Dan

Jan 20th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Chucky

Planning a honeymoon to Tenerife, and we are expecting a great time.
Try looking at http://www.islas.com/, which should point you to the Canaries.

We have been to St. Croix in the Carribean and a few places in Mexico. Also have been to islands in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific rim. St. Croix is the second best vacation I have had, so the Carribean can't be a bad alternative to the Canaries.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:28 AM
john

I went to Tenerife in 1998 and I had a great time. We rented a car and saw quite a bit. The exchange rate was really good at the time and it should still be the case now. We were there in April and the weather was in the 70's most days. Its NOT THE CARRIBEAN let me warn you. If you are used to beaches like in St Johns or somewhere else, and expect the same you will be very disapointed. The water was like it is in Cape Cod during the summer, not that warm. OK maybe a little warmer but not much. I did swim because it was hot and sunny at the beach. Having said that, you can see some really interesting, and quaint little towns throughout the islands. The vegetation is pretty; a lot of palm trees flowers, bouganvilla. Good luck
PS. Someone had been to Fench Polynesia. Now thats what I call real paradise!

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:22 AM
repox

Try this site:

Http://hyvimmo.dyns.cx

Mar 24th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Trip

My wife and I are going to Tenerife for two weeks this summer. We are staying in time shares and need information on selecting two. If anyone out there has vacationed at any of the ones we have available to us and would let us know what you liked or did not like about them, we would really appreciate it. They are as follows:

1. Club Marina-Las Galletas
2. Marques Palace-Puerto De Santiago
3. Pearly Grey Ocean Club-Callao Salvaje

If you could hurry with the info, it would be great because we have to make a decision very soon.

Thanks,

Trip

Mar 24th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Trip

Sorry, I posted the above message in the wrong section.

Trip

Feb 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Hi everybody,
To have information about Tenerife visit www.tenerifealacarta.com and www.abouttenerife.com