Help with hotels in Copenhagen

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with hotels in Copenhagen

Can't decide between the Royal Scandinavian Hotel or the Marriott or the Le Meridien Palace hotel in Copenhagen. Need help please. Looking for convenient location to central ceity sights. Will be doing typical tourist activities so a good location would make it easier. Also have a ten year old with us. Am I missing a good hotel option?
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Palace (4 star) and Mermaid (3 star) are "sister" hotels in Copenhagen. The relationship between Le Meridien and these two hotels is not clear, and we were sorely disappointed with the Mermaid on a recent visit. We did NOT poke our heads into the Palace, so cannot comment specifically on the relative quality of that property. The Palace is well-located.

If you're referring to the SAS Royal hotel, it's a few blocks further away from the tourist activities than the Palace. The common areas were beautiful, but it got mixed reviews as to whether or not it met a five star set of expectations.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:07 AM

We stayed at the Palace last year and it was really bad.

Our room had a cracked window, peeling wallpaper, running toilet, and furniture that I had in my college dorm.

We are NOT picky people, but this is definately not up to Le Meridien standards.

We had 3 nights booked, but left after the first night.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Intrepid

Stayed in the Marriott last August. It is located about five long blocks from the main RR station and Tivoli. The "water" views are of a rather wide canal-type waterway...decor is pretty much Scandinavian "modern" lots of light-colored wood, etc. We found the staff to be very helpful and the room was typical standard Marriott size with pretty much the standard sized bathroom. Excellent air conditioning. The hotel apparently opened just before 9/11 and is of modern architecture. No nasty surprises at all and we would definitely stay there again. Hope this helps some.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM

My son and I loved the Mermaid Hotel in Copenhagen. It has a great location and a great breakfast buffet. We extended our stay to be there six nights. The Palace Hotel has just as good a location, being just around the corner from the Mermaid. The Palace also has an impressive lobby, with chandeliers (something the Mermaid does not have).

Personally I think the Palace has a slightly better location than the Marriott, unless you will be taking taxis freely. I suspect the Marriott is a nicer and more modern hotel, though.

I agree the Mermaid has drawbacks. Objectively speaking, most 2* (e.g. Best Western or Howard Johnson) or even most 1* American hotel rooms are of a nicer quality than the room we got. The church bells nearby ring between 8 AM and midnight. But we got the room on Priceline, and we knew very well how expensive rooms are in Copenhagen, even those with a bathroom down the hall in less-nice locations. At the Mermaid we had a private bath (of course) even if it is small. The lobby and main entrance are pleasant. The staff are good and friendly.

Could you post the address of the Royal Scandinavian? Is this the Radisson near the train station? If so, I don't like that neighborhood as well as the Palace or the Marriott. But it is a convenient location.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:15 AM

We just spent 4 nights at The Square hotel directly accross from the Radhuspladsen. Copenhagen is a stunningly expenesive city so you'll get no bargains from hotels. The Square was new, bathrooms great, halls are clean and the rooms were all above average. The hotel is modern, centrally located, serves a nice breakfast buffet, beer from the tap in the lobby and though the staff isn't effusive or bubbly, they were helpful & decent. Steph.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Oops, forgot. At the Square, we paid 915DK a night for 4 nights or roughly $135 a night. That's pretty fair I think.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Loved the MArriott. My favorite hotel in Europe so far... Very new and clean and staff helpful. A good 5-10 minute walk to town. If you want American style hotel this is the one.