Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Hotel MERCURE PIAZZA in Rome...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Rome on a group tour in April. Our hotel has just been announced as Hotel Mercure Piazza. I checked google maps with the address, trying to get a location, so that I can look for restaurants in the immediate area. Not having any luck.

Do you know this hotel? It looks OK on TA, nothing special, but don't anticipate spending much time there anyway. But we have several blocks of free time on the tour and, as the one in the group who is returning to Rome, I would like to offer some good dining suggestions.

Thanks in advance, as always!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Is it the hotel that you can't find or the restaurants in the area?

Google is as often wrong as right in Rome. Since it's not too likely that many people will know restaurants in that not very central area, you can go to www.visual.paginegialle.it, put ristoranti in the first box, Roma in the second, Reggio Calabria in the third and 54 in the last. When the list comes up, sort by Distanza on the first line to get the closest ones. At least you'll know which ones are in the area. Since it's an area frequented mostly by locals, the restaurants are likely to be good and reasonable.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM

I found a Hotel Mercure Piazza Bologna (Via Reggio Calabria) in Rome. Is that it? It is near the Piazza Bologna, which is not anywhere near the main tourist attractions of Rome. Luckily, you can take the Metro at Bologna (Line B) to get around.

Thin
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercure is a chain in Europe and most chain hotels aren't central (historic area) as they are new.
http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-3304...na/index.shtml
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to search restaurants in the area, enter a street near your hotel and click applica. When the list of restaurants pop-up, click (or right click and open in a new tab so you don't have to keep hitting the back browser) on the name of the restaurant and you will get a map and details. To search another nearby street, you must click annulla as the page doesn't reset to search a new area unless you do. When you have one of the restaurants maps up, you can click the little camera on the map and zoom in a time or two to see what the area looks like.
http://www.060608.it/en/content/inde...oglienza/id/19