Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help with Glacier Express seat reservation

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I have our Swisssaver Rail Passes for our trip to Switzerland in May. I have tried to purchase seat reservations for the Glacier Express from Chur to Brig via several rail websites and have not accomplished my mission. I tried to telephone RailEurope and gave up after holding for one hour. Help please!
SamSam
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM

May is low season. Don't bother with reservations.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:06 AM

If you want to ride in one of the Panorama coaches (1st Class) on the Glacier Express regardless of the "season" seat reservations for those coaches are mandatory.

So you are going to have to "bother" with seat reservations if that's where you want to sit.

You can get them IN Switzerland after you arrive and probably won't have any trouble doing so.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:53 AM

We got our 2nd class seat reservations about two days before we rode that specific train. We were very happy to be in 2nd class where we could open the windows. It was a sunny day and the car heated up quickly.

Stop at a grocery store and get your picnic supplies, including wine if you wish, and enjoy the trip.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:00 AM

I agree with Barbara's suggestion. I've actually eaten in the restaurant car and had drinks out of the lanted wine glasses..but it's pricey as are those coold sandwiches they sell at your seats along the way.

There are tables (between seats)for that picnic lunch in the Panorama coaches and the windows are huge.

If you are like I am and enjoy hanging out the windows of trains, illegal or not, then on;t go in one of the Panorama coaches.

On the other hand, if you want the huge windows, more room to spread out, and the recorded narrative along the way, then consider that option.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Neopolitan

We've done the Glacier Express a couple of times. Once we got up out of our reserved Panorama car seats and sought a non-Panorama car we could sit in. The heat of the sun through that glass was miserable! That was not in particularly hot weather.

We have always booked our seats at the Swiss Travel Center in London as we've always been there prior to Switzerland. Does the Swiss Travel Center in New York offer than service? You might Google and give them a call.
Or email RailEurope and ask them if you can reserve them on line.

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Hello - piggybacking on this message - so Panorama coaches are first class, non-Panorama are second class, is that correct? I've read recommendations that say there's no real benefit to first class; just checking to see if those here agree?

Also, going St. Moritz to Zermatt - is there a "better" side to sit on?

Thanks!