Search

Help with First Trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with First Trip to Europe

Guys,

I really would like you help me out to plan a week of vacations, I have so many ideas and few time, this is my first time in Europe and I've been surfing a lot trying to get the best advise and finally I found you.

My plan actually is to go from London to Brussels, I would like to be there a couple of days or should I go straigth to Brugge and be there 2 days?, I want to go to Amsterdam also for 1 day and Luxemburgo, so I don't know if it is worthy to buy the Belleanux Rail Pass?, I think I'm so excited with this trip (as you can see) that I would like to go everywhere (this will be a budget problem) so If you could give me any suggestions about my plan, I will be so thankful. Finally I will go to Paris and I will spend 4 days there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM

I always refer novice Euro travelers to the free European Planning & Rail Guide (go to: www.budgeteuropetravel.com) as it has a wealth of info, not only on trains but packing, etc. It also details all the railpasses like Benelux pass, which could be a good deal for you if you go to Brugge, Amsterdam and Luxembourg. www.ricksteves.com and euraide.com also have lots of info on rail travel.
But the best source is Fodors, right here as there are lots of rail experts and folks expert in nearly every aspect of European travel so just ask questions!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM

can't comment on the railpass but don't think you need many nights in Brussels or Brugge and imagine that you might prefer to spend those days in Amsterdam, but I don't know YOU!

Amsterdam is rich in architectual beauty and art, and is a genuinely fun place to be with all the bicyclists, canals and shops. However, the food is pretty dismal, even though you can find good restaurants if you dig.

I've been to Antwerp and Brugge, but not Brussels, and the reason I've not been to Brussels is that I've been told it's very boring. There is Art Deco architecture there and there is great food drink I'm told, but you find that in great quantities in Antwerp and Brugge.

Brugge is very picturesque, but it's also got a stampede of tourists, and a somewhat commercialized touristy feel, so if you are going in high summer, you will get a big dose of that. It's also very tiny. If you want to step into Brugge to see the castles and swans, you can do it as a day trip. If you want to tour a brewery, and walk by the river and relax away from the tourists, you need two nights.

Antwerp has got a magnificent cathedral, truly great food, diamonds if you care about that and one of the most interesting social and contemporary art and design cultures in Europe.

Also, doesn't it make more sense to begin your trip in Amsterdam and end it London? One advantage of beginning in Amsterdam is that if you are flying from the US, Amsterdam is the shortest flight and getting from the airport to your hotel in Amsterdam is usually quite simple and cheap. Not so London.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
rex

Are you referring to some kind of
"13-day week"?

...and maybe... Tyrrrolllll?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi L,

With only 1 week, I suggest that you go to Paris and stay there.

You will go to Europe again. It will still be there.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the good advices