Help with European Itinerary

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 07:30 PM
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
We've had quite a few threads recently, this one included, where the OPs just jump the gun and buy flights without first figuring if it makes sense or if they even want to go around where they booked (the recent person who bought RT out of Bulgaria comes to mind here, too). I will never understand that.

With that having been said and while I do not have any advice for the OP of this thread that has not already been given. I look forward to your updates once you've spent time fine tuning and paring down.
To me it's the opposite. So many threads people start to get ideas about places they don't know because they don't know. Most people who respond just ask OP for what they want to do. Sometimes people don't know and are looking for ideas which is the point of such threads.

Last few years I mostly travel to Europe on points (business class) and sometimes I let the business class availability decide my destinations. Have had great trips every time and to some places that I was not aware of or not on top of my list. Never a regret.
Travel_To_Eat is offline  
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 07:44 PM
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,754
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually you have a vague idea of your interests.

If you like art for example you might pick Madrid over Seville . You might pick Barcelona if you like Picasso.

Something you'll see is people going to Florence and then complaining they don't like art. Well it's too late after you've booked.
Traveler_Nick is offline  
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 07:58 PM
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 851
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Usually you have a vague idea of your interests.

If you like art for example you might pick Madrid over Seville . You might pick Barcelona if you like Picasso.

Something you'll see is people going to Florence and then complaining they don't like art. Well it's too late after you've booked.
Right. Exactly. There is a lot of "what should we do?" If one has no clue what to see...Why are they going if dont have at least some idea as to the "why" behind it? I realize some are overwhelmed, and maybe even this OP as well. And some cities come up a lot in itineraries such as Zurich and even Frankfurt. Recognizable names, but... not exactly the "better" of cities in both their respective countries in terms of landmarks. And had one read a bit before booking, they might have not even given them a second thought and instead decide Lucern or Munich is more their interest.
Travel_Nerd is offline  
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 08:19 AM
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,793
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we are certainly getting more two city or multiple city trips in very short times, almost like a game. Tik Tok perhaps?
bilboburgler is offline  
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 09:18 AM
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,017
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If TikTok and Insta (and, sadly, The Amazing Race) are your only "exposures" to foreign destinations (as opposed to old-school travel guides, articles, etc.), your idea of visiting these places can be reduced to hitting a few iconic sights, taking selfies and moving on. People can travel (and spend their money) however they like, but the lack of research based on interests and logistics can be surprising... at least to me. I just value my travel time and budget differently.
Jean is offline  
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 09:56 AM
  #66  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 851
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean
If TikTok and Insta (and, sadly, The Amazing Race) are your only "exposures" to foreign destinations (as opposed to old-school travel guides, articles, etc.), your idea of visiting these places can be reduced to hitting a few iconic sights, taking selfies and moving on. People can travel (and spend their money) however they like, but the lack of research based on interests and logistics can be surprising... at least to me. I just value my travel time and budget differently.
I mentioned something similar on another thread. And I have to wonder if people see a short reel on social media - which are often 90 seconds or less - and they think they can do it, too (that the trip was a whirlwind). Those reels do not explain the logistics behind the point to point, nor do they explain the research the social media person did behind it, if they did any.

And with more and more people using AI (and someone even said it was "efficient") for itinerary planning, I only think we're going to see more of posts like these.

And, so often they have made up their mind and post their itineraries accordingly. Feedback is sometimes seen as negative and critical rather than as it is intended, which is constructive. And I admit I wonder if they are truly seeking help or if it is for another reason (validation? confirmation?).Which I guess may make some sense - only project the positive on social media, why wouldn't that need to happen on a travel forum that existed well before MySpace be any different, too (not to mention that the guidebooks have been around for several decades).

I guess maybe now we say, "Your trip. You do you."
Travel_Nerd is offline  
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:48 AM
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 34,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, I ski a lot and I would scratch that whole "ski for a day" thing out of the itinerary. First, if that is a big deal, that implies that you ski a lot at home and then just have to try Zermatt to say you've been there. If so, you can ski at home and it isn't worth the time/trouble and expense to do that for one day. I know the ski resorts in Australia aren't near Adelaide (Thredbo is the biggest, I think), but you can be doing a few days or week there easily as it's not a long drive from Canberra which is a short flight from Adelaide. Of course your seasons are reversed so you don't ski in our winter, but have you thought about all the ski gear you will have to pack just for this one day? I don't mean skis/boots/helmet as you can rent those, but actual clothing? I guess you can use a ski parka for a winter coat and base layer alway6s comes in handy, what about pants, but still. And the lift and ski equipment for the day will cost probably about 50-75 euro each (or 150 euro total maybe) per person.

I just don't think that would be worth it myself. If your kids don't actually ski at all and just think it would be cool to say they skied Zermatt for a day, I wouldn't do that, either. Because then you'd have no proper ski clothing. I'm kind of picky about that, maybe you aren't. I mean I have ski gloves I wouldn't wear walking around in Winter, and various masks/balaclava, etc. I would never wear my ski parks around as a regular jacket, and you do need special ski pants. And you can't ski without lessons.

Ski resorts are extremely expensive during the holidays, also. I don't know if you plan to stay in Zermatt for that one day trip or visit it from another location as a day trip. I didn't think that was possible, but really don't know. I know it is too far by train from Zurich or Geneva by train (3-4 hrs one way). Zermatt itself is car-free.
Christina is offline  
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 02:14 PM
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family lived in Germany in the 1990s and recall perilous long drives through the Swiss Alps in the winter. We also spent a week in Zermatt, which was beautiful but isolating because cars aren’t allowed. Consider the challenge of driving the Alps in the winter when you map your route.

It appears that Paris, Lyon, Annecy, Chamonix, Strasbourg and Alsace villages, and the neighboring German villages are a possibility, especially at Christmas time.
Green83 is offline  
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 03:24 PM
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiegord
Hi. I just bought return tickets from Adelaide, Australia to Paris arriving at CDG airport on the 20th of November 2024 and will be going back home on the 11th of January 2025. We are a family of 4 - me (will be celebrating my 50th in Europe) , my husband (51), son (20) and daughter (18). We have travelled to non-English speaking countries in the past and we almost travel overseas every year except during Covid but this is going to be our first time in Europe so we are trying to go to as much places as we can. Planning this trip is overwhelming hence I’m seeking for your expert advise. I’m not too sure if I should do a clockwise route from Paris - London - Germany? - Netherlands?- Amsterdam? - Switzerland - Italy - France then back to Paris or do the counterclockwise route Paris - Nice - Lyon - French Riviera - Italy ( haven’t thought the route yet) - Switzerland ( the kids might want to ski in Zermatt for 1day) - then maybe Germany?Netherlands?Amsterdam? - London then back to Paris. Apologies for mixing the countries with the cities as I’m not too sure what to include and which route. We prefer to travel by train and can do car hire as well. We are used to travel like we are in an amazing race as well. I hope I can learn from your knowledge and plan our routes. Thank you so much in advance.
Since you’ve included many different countries on different continents perhaps you should think of boat/ferries as well. As others have said there really is no right or wrong way regarding traveling through Europe but I too would get a large paper map so you can have some sort of physical perspective of how it’ll look on paper. Pun intended. Good luck!
happy_traveler_too is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:50 AM
  #70  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski in Europe!

Originally Posted by J62
If your only reason for visiting Switzerland is skiing, consider also Germany, Italy, or France. All of which have a plethora of great skiing options.
On the skiing front, I'd like to add that France really is the best destination for European skiing- it has some of the cheapest packages for ski lifts, the largest resorts, the cheapest resorts, the best snowfall, and the highest pistes.
TravellingTofu is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:39 AM
  #71  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TravellingTofu
On the skiing front, I'd like to add that France really is the best destination for European skiing- it has some of the cheapest packages for ski lifts, the largest resorts, the cheapest resorts, the best snowfall, and the highest pistes.
Not everybody who goes skiing in Europe does downhill. Many prefer cross country, or Nordic style skiing which, even though it’s more full body intensive, is less dangerous than downhill. I’d also disagree with the “France has the best European skiing”. That’s a broad and incorrect statement. Highest pistes? Not really. Zermatt/ Matterhorn is the highest and has the largest height differences overall. France does have a couple in the top ten but your statement is incorrect.
happy_traveler_too is offline  
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 10:22 PM
  #72  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My statement isn't incorrect. France has the most ski resort in official european rankings, and the best snowfall in most Alpine resorts compared to the increasingly terrible ski conditions in the Pyrenees, and even Switzerland and Italy.
TravellingTofu is offline  
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 07:54 AM
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a while since the last posting on this thread and I'm assuming the OP is doing the homework on this wonderful trip. I've been planning a 45-day trip to the BENELUX area for the last few months, with the wonderful help of Fodor posters. Here are my two-cents on planning.

We didn't book anything, until we had a good outline of time and place for our trip. Since we usually book open-jaw flights from the US, that was an understanding from the beginning. But from where to where was in the details. In most of our past travels to Europe, we were on a timeframe with only 2-1/2 weeks' vacation time available. Now we have the luxury of time, but not the knees of youth, so our planning is more relaxed to try to enjoy the areas we're visiting. Our trip in June is 12 days in Netherlands (9 in Amsterdam & 3 in Rotterdam), 11 nights in Brussels, 11 nights in England and the remaining time on a cruise. Our schedule has many day trips outside of the main cities, and I'm hoping we left enough time for the actual cities themselves. Schlepping luggage is exhausting. We've also had to plan for down days / laundry days. Our original plan was only 5 nights in Brussels, but we found many interesting day trips that were worth exploring, but not necessarily packing and moving our luggage to spend a night or two.

Regarding whether or not to go to Zermatt, I agree that bringing the ski gear is too much, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do a 2 night trip to the lovely town and rent the gear. We drove there (in the summer) for lunch from our stay in Lucerne. As we also went to Capri off the cost of Naples for lunch to enjoy the town (however, we had been there several times before). Don't be afraid to do day trips. But picking up and leaving for a new stay in a new town for many 2-night trips, may not be as appealing as possibly figuring out day trips within the area. Salzburg is a magical city and Innsbruck is a daytrip away. There are many day trips from Munich that might interest your whole family. London will have a lot to keep everyone entertained for at least 5 days, possibly 10 days if you plan day trips and maybe visits to Cambridge, Oxford, Canterbury and Dover.

It might be interesting to let each family member plan a different location and see how logistics factor into the feasibility of the trip. Planning is half the fun.
ChallengerGrey is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2024, 04:14 PM
  #74  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update of the planning

Just to update everyone. After much thought and consideration, these are our planned itinerary:

Arriving Nov 20 at CDG then fly straight to Heathrow
Drive to Oxford Nov 20-22
Return car rental in London Nov 22-25
Uber to LCY City Airport to Amsterdam Nov 25-28
Train to Gent Nov 28-Dec 1
Train to Luxembourg Dec 1-2
Train to Frankfurt Dec 2-4
Train to Lucern Dec 4-6
Train to Lauterbraunnen Dec 6-10
Train to Zermatt Dec 10-12
Train to St Moritz Dec 12-13
Train to Milan Dec 13-17 (booked accommodation near Milano Central) Will be spending my 50th birthday here. Any suggestions is much appreciated?
Train to Venice Dec 17-19 (worried about aqua valta)
Train to Florence Dec 19-22
Train to Rome Dec 22-27 (any suggestions where to eat for Christmas eve and how to spend it and Christmas day as well?)
Train to Naples Dec 27-30 (planning to hire a car to explore? We are a family of 5 with adult children and 4 of us can drive internationally.)
Fly to Nice Dec 30-Jan 3 ( any suggestions of how to spend New Year’s eve and day?)
Fly to Paris Jan 3-11
Jan 11 flying back to Adelaide to work hard again to save up for another trip😁

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
wiegord is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2024, 04:17 PM
  #75  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChallengerGrey
It's been a while since the last posting on this thread and I'm assuming the OP is doing the homework on this wonderful trip. I've been planning a 45-day trip to the BENELUX area for the last few months, with the wonderful help of Fodor posters. Here are my two-cents on planning.

We didn't book anything, until we had a good outline of time and place for our trip. Since we usually book open-jaw flights from the US, that was an understanding from the beginning. But from where to where was in the details. In most of our past travels to Europe, we were on a timeframe with only 2-1/2 weeks' vacation time available. Now we have the luxury of time, but not the knees of youth, so our planning is more relaxed to try to enjoy the areas we're visiting. Our trip in June is 12 days in Netherlands (9 in Amsterdam & 3 in Rotterdam), 11 nights in Brussels, 11 nights in England and the remaining time on a cruise. Our schedule has many day trips outside of the main cities, and I'm hoping we left enough time for the actual cities themselves. Schlepping luggage is exhausting. We've also had to plan for down days / laundry days. Our original plan was only 5 nights in Brussels, but we found many interesting day trips that were worth exploring, but not necessarily packing and moving our luggage to spend a night or two.

Regarding whether or not to go to Zermatt, I agree that bringing the ski gear is too much, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do a 2 night trip to the lovely town and rent the gear. We drove there (in the summer) for lunch from our stay in Lucerne. As we also went to Capri off the cost of Naples for lunch to enjoy the town (however, we had been there several times before). Don't be afraid to do day trips. But picking up and leaving for a new stay in a new town for many 2-night trips, may not be as appealing as possibly figuring out day trips within the area. Salzburg is a magical city and Innsbruck is a daytrip away. There are many day trips from Munich that might interest your whole family. London will have a lot to keep everyone entertained for at least 5 days, possibly 10 days if you plan day trips and maybe visits to Cambridge, Oxford, Canterbury and Dover.

It might be interesting to let each family member plan a different location and see how logistics factor into the feasibility of the trip. Planning is half the fun.
Thank you for your input in the planning.
wiegord is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2024, 05:14 PM
  #76  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 72,962
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- you are counting the same days in two different places so you have less time than you think just about everywhere.

what you actually have is:
• Arriving Nov 20 at CDG fly straight to Heathrow - Drive to Oxford Nov 20-21This is a truly terrible idea BTW. You are flying from OZ to Paris and then on to LHR and then driving to Oxford. There is an express coach from LHR to Oxford . . . MUCH safer than driving with jet lag/exhaustion. With such a short time in Oxford you will have no need for a car. And there is a fast train from Oxford > London. Total time in Oxford - part of one day

• London Nov 22-24 / 2.5 days

Uber to Nov 25 LCY City Airport to Amsterdam. Amsterdam Nov 25-27. 2.5 days (Uber from central London to LCY will cost a fortune. You can easily take public transport)

• Train to Gent Nov 28. Gent Nov 28--30. 2.5+ days

• Train to Luxembourg. Luxembourg Dec 1 = Part of one day

• Train to Frankfurt. Frankfurt Dec 2-3 = 1.5 days

• Train to Lucern Dec 4-5. Lucern = 1.5 days

• Train to Lauterbraunnen Dec 6, Lauterbraunnen Dec 6-9 / 3+ days

• Train to Zermatt. Zermatt Dec 10-11 = 1+ days

• Train to St Moritz Dec 12 less than one full day

• Train to Milan. Milan Dec 13-16 = 3.5 days

• Train to Venice Dec 17. Venice Dec 17-18 - 1.5 days

• Train to Florence Dec 19. Florence Dec 19 - 21 = 2.5 days

• Train to Rome Dec 22. Rome Dec 22-26 = 4.5 days

• Train to Naples Dec 27. Naples Dec 27-29 = 2.5 days

• Fly to Nice Dec 30. Nice Dec 30-Jan 2 = 3 full days

• Fly to Paris Jan 3. Paris 3-10Jan

• 11 fly back to Adelaide

You must REALLY love trains!!!
janisj is online now  
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:37 PM
  #77  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
OK -- you are counting the same days in two different places so you have less time than you think just about everywhere.

what you actually have is:
• Arriving Nov 20 at CDG fly straight to Heathrow - Drive to Oxford Nov 20-21This is a truly terrible idea BTW. You are flying from OZ to Paris and then on to LHR and then driving to Oxford. There is an express coach from LHR to Oxford . . . MUCH safer than driving with jet lag/exhaustion. With such a short time in Oxford you will have no need for a car. And there is a fast train from Oxford > London. Total time in Oxford - part of one day

• London Nov 22-24 / 2.5 days

Uber to Nov 25 LCY City Airport to Amsterdam. Amsterdam Nov 25-27. 2.5 days (Uber from central London to LCY will cost a fortune. You can easily take public transport)

• Train to Gent Nov 28. Gent Nov 28--30. 2.5+ days

• Train to Luxembourg. Luxembourg Dec 1 = Part of one day

• Train to Frankfurt. Frankfurt Dec 2-3 = 1.5 days

• Train to Lucern Dec 4-5. Lucern = 1.5 days

• Train to Lauterbraunnen Dec 6, Lauterbraunnen Dec 6-9 / 3+ days

• Train to Zermatt. Zermatt Dec 10-11 = 1+ days

• Train to St Moritz Dec 12 less than one full day

• Train to Milan. Milan Dec 13-16 = 3.5 days

• Train to Venice Dec 17. Venice Dec 17-18 - 1.5 days

• Train to Florence Dec 19. Florence Dec 19 - 21 = 2.5 days

• Train to Rome Dec 22. Rome Dec 22-26 = 4.5 days

• Train to Naples Dec 27. Naples Dec 27-29 = 2.5 days

• Fly to Nice Dec 30. Nice Dec 30-Jan 2 = 3 full days

• Fly to Paris Jan 3. Paris 3-10Jan

• 11 fly back to Adelaide

You must REALLY love trains!!!

hahaha!!! Yes, this is our mini European sprint tour aka European amazing race.😂

On the 20th of Nov, we will be arriving in Oxford around 1:30pm with the car hire as we are planning to drive to Stonehedge, Bath and Cotswold on the 21st then drive to Cambridge on the 22nd before heading to London and planning to return the rental car in London at around 10pm. Seems like jetlag is a foreign word for us.🤣
wiegord is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:43 PM
  #78  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
OK -- you are counting the same days in two different places so you have less time than you think just about everywhere.

what you actually have is:
• Arriving Nov 20 at CDG fly straight to Heathrow - Drive to Oxford Nov 20-21This is a truly terrible idea BTW. You are flying from OZ to Paris and then on to LHR and then driving to Oxford. There is an express coach from LHR to Oxford . . . MUCH safer than driving with jet lag/exhaustion. With such a short time in Oxford you will have no need for a car. And there is a fast train from Oxford > London. Total time in Oxford - part of one day

• London Nov 22-24 / 2.5 days

Uber to Nov 25 LCY City Airport to Amsterdam. Amsterdam Nov 25-27. 2.5 days (Uber from central London to LCY will cost a fortune. You can easily take public transport)

• Train to Gent Nov 28. Gent Nov 28--30. 2.5+ days

• Train to Luxembourg. Luxembourg Dec 1 = Part of one day

• Train to Frankfurt. Frankfurt Dec 2-3 = 1.5 days

• Train to Lucern Dec 4-5. Lucern = 1.5 days

• Train to Lauterbraunnen Dec 6, Lauterbraunnen Dec 6-9 / 3+ days

• Train to Zermatt. Zermatt Dec 10-11 = 1+ days

• Train to St Moritz Dec 12 less than one full day

• Train to Milan. Milan Dec 13-16 = 3.5 days

• Train to Venice Dec 17. Venice Dec 17-18 - 1.5 days

• Train to Florence Dec 19. Florence Dec 19 - 21 = 2.5 days

• Train to Rome Dec 22. Rome Dec 22-26 = 4.5 days

• Train to Naples Dec 27. Naples Dec 27-29 = 2.5 days

• Fly to Nice Dec 30. Nice Dec 30-Jan 2 = 3 full days

• Fly to Paris Jan 3. Paris 3-10Jan

• 11 fly back to Adelaide

You must REALLY love trains!!!
I’ve put in our destination from Pilgrim, Southwark to the London City Airport and Uber X cost around GBP28.95 and if the cost changes, I’m hoping it would be less than GBP50. I think the cost of that, considering there is 4 of us and the convenience because of the luggages, is not too bad.

I’m thinking that it is going to be crowded in the tube at 8am with all our luggages.

Am I wrong? Still weighing all the options.
wiegord is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2024, 06:03 AM
  #79  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 72,962
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wiegord
. . . On the 20th of Nov, we will be arriving in Oxford around 1:30pm with the car hire as we are planning to drive to Stonehedge, Bath and Cotswold on the 21st then drive to Cambridge on the 22nd before heading to London and planning to return the rental car in London at around 10pm. Seems like jetlag is a foreign word for us.
OK -- frankly this is insanity. There us simply no way you can possibly collect a car from LHR, drive to Stonehedge Stonehenge, visit the stones, drive to/through Bath, see any of the Cotswolds, and arrive in Oxford by 1:30PM. You would be very lucky to get to Oxford by dinner time. Just the basic drive (without getting out of the car once or actually seeing anything) from say LHR > Stonehenge > Bath > Bibury > Bourton-on-th-Water > Burford > Oxford will take at least six hours. If you include actually seeing anything including Stonehenge which is a minimum 1 hour stop by itself, finding parking in Bath or parking outside of town and using a park-n-Ride lot, seeing anything in Bath (none of the sites can be seen from a car) and a short drive through Bibury/Bourton/Burford (merely driving through and not getting out of the car) makes this a minimum 10 hour day w/o seeing any of Oxford.

THEN you plan on driving to Cambridge the next day!

Where do you plan on dropping a car in London at 10PM? Only LHR and LGW will be open at that time of night.

Pligrim what in Southwark?? I suspect you mean Suites By Rehoboth which is not at all a convenient place to stay or get to. It is more the half a mile south of Borough Station and a mile south of London Bridge Station. If it isn't Suites By Rehoboth then I have no idea . . .
janisj is online now  
Old May 3rd, 2024, 06:42 AM
  #80  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
OK -- frankly this is insanity. There us simply no way you can possibly collect a car from LHR, drive to Stonehedge Stonehenge, visit the stones, drive to/through Bath, see any of the Cotswolds, and arrive in Oxford by 1:30PM. You would be very lucky to get to Oxford by dinner time. Just the basic drive (without getting out of the car once or actually seeing anything) from say LHR > Stonehenge > Bath > Bibury > Bourton-on-th-Water > Burford > Oxford will take at least six hours. If you include actually seeing anything including Stonehenge which is a minimum 1 hour stop by itself, finding parking in Bath or parking outside of town and using a park-n-Ride lot, seeing anything in Bath (none of the sites can be seen from a car) and a short drive through Bibury/Bourton/Burford (merely driving through and not getting out of the car) makes this a minimum 10 hour day w/o seeing any of Oxford.

THEN you plan on driving to Cambridge the next day!

Where do you plan on dropping a car in London at 10PM? Only LHR and LGW will be open at that time of night.

Pligrim what in Southwark?? I suspect you mean Suites By Rehoboth which is not at all a convenient place to stay or get to. It is more the half a mile south of Borough Station and a mile south of London Bridge Station. If it isn't Suites By Rehoboth then I have no idea . . .
Hi. I think there is some kind of misunderstanding.

On Nov 20, we will just be exploring Oxford by bus on that day since we just have the afternoon and park the car in the apartment. It has its own private parking.

On Nov 21, that is the day we will be driving around and will be heading out early as well. I’m planning to catch the first time slot at Stonehedge. Then go back to Oxford to sleep and rest.

On Nov 22, we will check out early to be able to drive to Cambridge before heading to London.

Avis has a facility where you can drop off the car then just drop the key in a safe drop box. When I checked the booking, the address is 88 Eversholt St, Euston,London,GB. I haven’t booked anything yet. I just checked if it is possible and fortunately, it is. I checked the map as well and it is a 20min bus ride to our accommodation.

Our accommodation is The Mount. The address is Pilgrim, SE1 4UP ( or could be SEI 4UP), London. It is near The Shard.

How is the tube at around 8:30am? Our flight on Nov 25 is 1:05pm at the London City airport. I’m not too sure if it is ok to leave after the rush hour so it is not that crowded in the tube and still make it before the bag drop off counter closes. Is it best to take the train ( there’s 4 of us) or take the Uber X?

Thank you.
wiegord is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -