Help with "Eastern" Europe Itinerary

Jan 15th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Help with "Eastern" Europe Itinerary

Hi all,

I'm going to be visiting several countries this summer from May-July. I have a ton of time with a cap of 80 days so I feel I can get a great range of cities in this trip. Can you let me know what you think about the list of cities I'm considering? The main advice I'd like is if there are other cities nearby that wouldn't be hard to get to that I should add to the list! Or if there are cities that you really think are overrated, let me know that as well. The types of things I like are cultural attractions like Museums, Forts, Churches, etc. I also like natural sites like mountains and lakes. Basically, like doing touristy stuff lol. I'm not one for relaxing, nightlife, or lounging by the beach. I know 80 days is a lot but I spent almost 2 months traveling throughout India without an issue so hopefully this will be the same!

Additionally, out of the major cities - Budapest, Prague, Athens, Vienna, and Munich - which city do you think takes the longest to see the major tourist sites? What order would you put them in terms of takes the longest - shortest time required?

Itinerary below:

Greece:
Athens
Delphi
Rhodes
Santorini
Mykonos & Delos
Heraklion
Thessaloniki
Meteora

Bulgaria:
Sofia
Rila Monastary
Plovdiv

Montenegro:
Kotor
Perast

Bosnia
Sarajevo
Mostar
Blagaj

Croatia:
Dubrovnik
Split
Trogir
Sibenik
Zadar
Plitvice
Zagreb

Slovenia:
Ljubljana
Lake Bled

Hungary:
Budapest
Eger
Pecs

Austria:
Vienna
Bratislava (Slovakia)
Graz
Salzburg
Linz

Czech Replublic:
Prague
Kutna Hora
Cesky Krumlov
Karlovy Vary
Brno

Germany:
Munich
Fussen

Thank you!
Jan 15th, 2018, 08:06 AM

How are you getting around? Bus, train, rental car or a combination thereof? Is budget an issue?

You seem more interested in cities than countryside. Is that correct?

I hate to add to your long list but Istria, the "bump out" where Croatia meets Slovenia, is an interesting area with lots of Italian influence. But visiting the small towns there is best done by car. Also Croatia has a lot of islands you might like to sample. Speaking of islands, you are listing only the most obvious, most touristed of the Greek Islands.

Back to cities, you're close to Istanbul. You might want to add that to your list.

But enough additions....
Jan 15th, 2018, 08:28 AM

40 destinations in 80 days? So, are you going by helicopter or magic carpet? That's one destination every two days, plus travel time. Not possible.
Jan 15th, 2018, 08:45 AM

I think your German bit is missing a fair few but so many it is hard to know where to start, but certainly Dresden just to link up with Prague.
Czech i'd bump everything but Prague and add maybe Melnik,

Vienna, Bratislava (Slovakia), Graz keep lose the rest
Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir are the high point unless you also want a lake or two
Montenegro, I like it but I wouldn't put anywhere as interesting as say Lake Bled so I might drop the whole country
Pecs, well no

If you cull out the sort of numbers I've suggested you'll do fine
Jan 15th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Yes, Dresden, and between Prague and Dresden the National Park Saxon Switzerland (German side of the border) and Bohemian Switzerland (Czech side) - stunning, bizarre sandstone formations, flat-top mountains, canyons ...

On the other hand, you already have too many cities on your list.
Jan 15th, 2018, 10:39 AM

Seriously? 40 cities in 80 days? What is it that you actually want to see in these destinations other than their bus/train stations?

With all sincerity, I suggest you consult a few guides books/apps/websites/whatever and arrange your days accordingly based on interests. Second, plot the time needed to reach each destination and factor that into your 80 days. Finally, return to the forum with a more well-thought out itinerary.
Jan 15th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Mimar - I will be using a combo of plane, train, and bus - but no rental car. Budget is not really an issue. I'm interested in cities for the most part but am open to any spectacular countryside areas that are easy to access. Thank you for your reply!

bilboburgler - Thank you for your detailed advice! I've taken Eger out already. You didn't like Pecs? Also, regarding Czech Republic, what do you think about Karlovy Vary? I'm considering taking that out as well. I will be doing Dresden as a separate Germany trip, so I'll definitely make sure to do that in the future! I will be landing and leaving from Munich so I figured I would see it in the same trip.

Ingo - Dresden seems amazing! II'll definitely plan to see it in a future Germany trip.
Jan 15th, 2018, 11:28 AM
BKD

If you don't like lounging at beaches, why all the time in the Greek isles? They are beautiful, but there's a lot of beach lounging there. To answer your question regarding which cities take the longest to see, my order is: Prague, Vienna, Munich, Budapest and then Athens. It's been a while since I've been to Athens, but I found it to be the least desirable. Very huge city that's not particularly attractive, in my view.

Cesky Krumlov is not to be missed, but that's a day trip from Prague. We were told by some Praguers that Karlovy Vary has pretty much been overrun with tacky wealthy Russians so we didn't go.

Not to complicate your already complicated list, we went to Krakow after we visited Prague and it was fascinating with lots of great sites, not the least of which are the salt mines. I was floored. We also went to Auschwitz, which was close by, and it was to say the least, moving and memorable.

Finally, we used a travel agency that specializes in Eastern European travel who set us up with guides in the Czech Republic, some transportation, and the same in Krakow. I have nothing to do with them AT ALL, but found them incredibly helpful and their people in the Czech Republic very friendly and accommodating. If you want to send me a private post, I am happy to share.
Jan 15th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Trains are great in central Europe no so good in Baltics but buses are - for lots of stuff on the rail portion check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Jan 15th, 2018, 01:52 PM

We enjoyed Karlovy Vary and spent 2 nights there. It is very different from Prague and Cesky Krumlov architecturally, and itís set in the mountains. Itís a beautiful city and a different experience that you will get. Yes, there were a lot of Russians when we were there, but that did not detract from our experience.

We also loved Cesky Krumlov and spent 2 nights there as well. It was beautiful and quiet at night.
Jan 15th, 2018, 02:38 PM

The first thing you need to do is cut at least half of these cities. I would suggest doing either a northern or southern itinerary. For instance, you could do Greece to Slovenia or Hungary to Germany. bear in mind that a full day somewhere requires two nights, and that you need to allow time for transit.
Jan 15th, 2018, 11:35 PM

My advice is based on; I don't know Greece that well so I've given no advice and I know all the others very well, so for instance Lake Bled is a world class site, I litterally forgot to breath as the bus drove over the last hill into town (yes the actual town is not so nice) but the lake! So I've tried to cut out anything that is not world class, hence much uncertainty about adding Melnik (which I now think should not be added).

One thing that does stand out is your interest in cities, for me Hungary is really about spas, if you go to Hungary and not visit one then you have missed the point of the place, I actually prefer the spas outside of Budapest (thought the outdoor ones are fine) the simpler the better.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.
Jan 16th, 2018, 10:36 AM

Budapest, Prague, Athens, Vienna, and Munich - which city do you think takes the longest to see the major tourist sites? What order would you put them in terms of takes the longest - shortest time >

hard to tell as it depends on your interests - museums can take a lot of time for example. I'd say that they are all equal overall. About three full days minimum for each IMO.
Jan 27th, 2018, 10:24 AM

BKD, I would love to get the travel el agent specializing in Eastern Europe. Thank you!
[email protected]
Jan 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BKD View Post
If you don't like lounging at beaches, why all the time in the Greek isles? They are beautiful, but there's a lot of beach lounging there. To answer your question regarding which cities take the longest to see, my order is: Prague, Vienna, Munich, Budapest and then Athens. It's been a while since I've been to Athens, but I found it to be the least desirable. Very huge city that's not particularly attractive, in my view.

Cesky Krumlov is not to be missed, but that's a day trip from Prague. We were told by some Praguers that Karlovy Vary has pretty much been overrun with tacky wealthy Russians so we didn't go.

Not to complicate your already complicated list, we went to Krakow after we visited Prague and it was fascinating with lots of great sites, not the least of which are the salt mines. I was floored. We also went to Auschwitz, which was close by, and it was to say the least, moving and memorable.

Finally, we used a travel agency that specializes in Eastern European travel who set us up with guides in the Czech Republic, some transportation, and the same in Krakow. I have nothing to do with them AT ALL, but found them incredibly helpful and their people in the Czech Republic very friendly and accommodating. If you want to send me a private post, I am happy to share.
Please tell me the name of travel agency. Thanks, Kathy
Jan 29th, 2018, 09:51 AM

www.seat61.com may have some info on Eastern European travel agents - used to anyway.
Jan 30th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Also enjoyed Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad when Germans long ago dominated it) and yes very different from say cities.