Reload this Page >

Help with drive through Cotswolds!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:45 PM
Lyn

First time in England & I need your knowledge & advice!! For the first part of our trip we are taking 5 full days for driving through the countryside. We are leaving LHR & spending our first day & night in Winchester (jet lag, etc...). Day 2 we are driving on to Stonehenge, Salisbury & Bath. <BR>From Bath we would ultimately like to end up in Stratford on Avon -- but definitely want to see wonderful sights along the way. I don't want to miss some of the wonderful towns mentioned here -- but I'm getting overwhelmed. From Stratford we will be traveling as far north as the Leeds area. My husband lived in Yorkshire as a child. Then back to LHR to drop off the car & move onto the next part of our trip. Any input on a route to take, places to definitely not miss along the way would be GREAT!! Thank you!! --Lyn

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:00 AM
Steve

Hello Lyn, <BR> <BR>Starting from Bath, my suggestion would be to head first to Bradford-on-Avon along the attractive Limpley Stoke valley. This town is at the southern edge of the Cotswolds, and is a delight. <BR> <BR>Next visit Lacock (National Trust village) and Castle Combe, - two lovely villages (O.K. - so they're all lovely!). Corsham Court near Lacock is one of the treasure houses of Britain if you're into art... <BR> <BR>From there, among the most attractive villages to visit as you move north are: <BR>Tetbury (home of Prince Charles), Bibury, Burford, Bourton-on-the Water, Upper and Lower Slaughter, Painswick, Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stanway, Snowshill, Stanton, Broadway, and Chipping Campden. <BR>The towns of Cirencester and Cheltenham are also worth a visit. <BR> <BR>Depending on your interests, you could include any of these in your itinerary: <BR>Blenheim Palace, Chedworth Roman Villa, Malmesbury Abbey, Stanway House, Owlpen Manor, Berkeley Castle, Sudeley Castle, Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Prinknash Abbey, Westonbirt Arboretum, ... and Warwick Castle near Stratford, - to name a few. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further help... <BR> <BR>Steve James <BR>Bath, U.K

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 11:31 AM
Lyn

Thank you Steve! That is extremely helpful. Bibury is definitely one of the little towns I have read about & want to see. Now the trick is to figure out where we should stop each day & where to stay. We want to make it up to Leeds & back down to LHR by Saturday morning (5 days)... We also love castles & churches -- so any to stop & see along the way are a definitely plus. <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Lyn

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Joan Doyle

Dear Lyn: First of all, I don't think you're alloting enough time. Second, keep in mind that you'll be driving on hilly, two-lane roads almost everywhere, so allow extra time for that. It's truly the "garden of England," though --so enjoy. Joan

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:36 PM
Jennifer

I am also interested in this question. My sister and I will be traveling for the first time in the Yorkshire area and we are just starting to gather information for planning our trip. We would like to start with Stratford on Avon -- which is in the Cotswolds I know -- but then work our way up into James Herriot country. Does anyone have any advice for me? How much time do you think we should alot?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:07 PM
Bob

Lyn, it sounds like you think you have to return your car back to LHR from Leeds....well, you don't. Most rental co,s in the UK won't charge any extra if you drop it off at another location, so turn it in at York & take the train back to London. Because there are so many attractions in the Cotswolds, tour the southern part one day, spend night in Cirencster/Bourton-on-the-Water area, then do the northern half ending up at Stratford. Between there & Leeds is the "Peak District" with several impressive estates to see (Chatsworth, Haddon Hall) & maybe spend a night near Bakewell. Use the car around York to see Castle Howard, Thirsk, etc. Spend at least 1 night in York before moving on. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Steve

Hello again Lyn, <BR> <BR>Just to second Bob's suggestion of an overnight stop in Bourton-on-the-Water, - one of the lovliest of the villages. Plan to arrive late p.m., - after the day-trippers have gone. You may need to book ahead... <BR> <BR>If you plan to include a visit to Blenheim Palace, the market town of Burford would be a good alternative. <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:32 AM
steve

ALtho I visited Lacock & Castle Combe, I think they are perhaps better visited on the way to Bath rather than as on the way to the Cotswolds. I liked Bibury and then Northleach before visting the rest of the Cotswolds. <BR> <BR>I would also recommend visting Avebury after Stonehenge

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Bob

To the top for Bob!