Help with Dordogne

Search

Help with Dordogne

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Dordogne

I have come across 2 very charming B&Bs.. one through Karen Brown and one through guides de charme.

One is in Paunat.. the other is in Carlux. If I want to be central, near Sarlat, Domme, etc. -- are either of these locations good? It's so difficult to tell distances from a map, sometimes! Thank you!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:55 AM

Both would work, although the Paunat location will get you closer to lots of things. There is a very interesting church in Paunat - quite extraordinary.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Stu - Thank you for your reply. So, should we choose Paunat over Carlux?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

P.S. -- The two B&B's I'm considering are:

Moulin Neuf in Parlat and La Vigerie in Carlux. In doing a search, I think St. Cirq knows about Moulin Neuf? Anyone else know anything about these places?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:07 PM

>>So, should we choose Paunat over Carlux?<<

If location is your primary criteria (it is for me), then I would choose Paunat.

The road along the Dordogne from Carlux to Vitrac is very scenic - and at times very narrow and slow. You get a great view of Montfort castle from the Cingle de Montfort.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM

Definitely pick the Moulin Neuf in Paunat over Carlux. It's a beautiful B&B, a charming town, and the owners get rave reviews.

Both Paunat and Carlux are a little bit farther away from the "center of things" than would be ideal, but who cares? It's just an extra 10-15 minutes of driving in paradise
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

St. Cirq -- Thank you so much for your input. You have made my decision! I am reconsidering staying at L'Esplanade for this B&B. Do you think that's a mistake? It's just a thought at this point.. still waiting to hear back from the owners on availability.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

By the way, is there a good map of the Dordogne area online that could give me a sense of where the towns are in relation to each other? Thank you!

According to Via Michelin, Paunat is about 45 minutes away from Sarlat and Domme? Does that sound right?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM

Yes, 45 minutes sounds right. That's a hard choice between l'Esplanade and the Vieux Moulin. Domme is certainly far more central, and the Esplanade is wonderful.

What time of year are you traveling there? Domme will be very crowded in high season. But traveling to and from Paunat will take longer in high season, too.

Sorry, can't help with an online map - don't need one
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

St. Cirq -- We will be there in April, so fortunately, crowds will not be a problem. I realize Domme is more central.. it's a tough decision, isn't it? What a rough life..
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM

Here are a couple of on-line maps which might help you:

http://www.best-of-perigord.tm.fr/co.../commu_uk.html

http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/...e_dordogne.htm

http://www.guide-dordogne.com/sites/

And, of course, you can always get the detailed Michelin maps online at:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamich...ontroller/Maps
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM

It may be too late, but I do want to recommend the La Vigerie, the Bed and Breakfast in Carlux. It is stunning, appears in many design magazines, and is run by a very charming couple. Jean Claude and Christine speak some English, know the area well, are great cooks, and are very welcoming. Where else would you find hand carved stone sinks, teak lined shower, 18th century chartreus, and right on the river Dordogne? Certainly would choose this over the Esplanade in Domme, where we have never found the owners terribly welcoming.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I visited the Dordogne last April and stayed in L’Esplanade. I am a huge fan: it was a wonderful experience. Click on my name and you will find my trip report. The room was lovely (a superior, I think; I had an incredible view of the valley), service was delightful and the food in the restaurant was top notch.

As St. Cirq says, Domme might be a bit of a nightmare during the summer months, but was almost deserted in April.

Regards .. Ger