Help with Christmas Trip to Austria and Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to go to Austria and Germany for 14 days around Christmas but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone offer a good itinerary? I have a few ideas in mind. I would really like to tour some small towns in the mountains, as well as some larger cities (i.e Vienna, Salzburg).

I have also heard Hallstat Austria is amazing. Has anyone been there? Any ideas or comments would be helpfull, I really don't know where to start.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We took a 10 day trip to Germany and Austria right before Christmas in 2001. It was one of our favorite trips and we have fond memories of loads of fresh fallen snow, spectacular scenery, and festive holiday markets.

We began in Munich, where we rented a car and drove to Berchtesgaden, passing through Austria. From our base in Berchtesgaden, we visited the salt mines, the Obersalzberg area, the Konigsee (Jennerbahn gondola) and Salzberg. We then headed to Mittenwald, which we used as a base to visit Fussen (Neuschwanstein), Garmisch (Zugspitz), Obersdorf, Oberammergau, Schloss Linderhof and then Innsbruck and Seefeld, Austria. We then returned to Munich where we visited the huge Christmas market.

If you'd like a copy of my detailed trip report, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the ideas! Which cities were your favorites? Would you recommend staying a night in each? Or are some better for just a day-trip?
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 02:10 AM

We're not big on cities...

Berchtesgaden and Mittenwald are small towns (pop 9,000 give or take). We loved Berchtesgaden - it was our first trip there and we had such a good time - we were hoping for snow and we got feet of the stuff - the whole town was covered and it was incredibly festive. The food was good, our hotel was perfect (Hotel Bavaria) and the scenery was awesome.

We liked Mittenwald too, but I think Berchtesgaden was our favorite.

We chose these two towns as bases, and made day trips from there. We spent four nights in Berchtesgaden, four in Mittenwald and one in Munich.

The drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden took us about 2.5 hours (in snowy weather) and the drive from Berchtesgaden to Mittenwald also took about 2.5 hours.

Salzberg is a very short drive from Berchtesgaden, so you can easily make a day trip there. The salt mines and Konigsee are also nearby. We accidently ended up on the Rossfeld Hohenring Strasse, a scenic toll road that makes a loop from Obersalzberg to Oberau - an absolutely gorgeous drive.

From Mittenwald you can reach Fussen, home of Neuschwanstein castle, in about two hours. The car free resort of Oberstdorf in the Western Bavarian Alps, is about a 90 minute drive from Fussen.

You can also easily reach Garmisch-Partenkirchen (about a 20 minute drive), where you can take the Eibsee cable car to the top of the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain. At the top of the Zugspitze there are several viewing terraces and cable car stations to take skiers down to the ski fields. There are also two restaurants, one on the German side and one on the Austrian side. You can access both from the viewing terraces.

Innsbruck and Seefeld (Austria) are also a short distance from Mittenwald, although my notes don't indicate the driving times.

Schloss Linderhof is 20 km west of Garmisch and Oberammergau, home of the passion play, is 20 km north of Garmisch.

There's alot to see and do in these areas, so I'd suggest chosing a couple of base cities or towns and just exploring from there.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 02:24 AM

You might also consider Kitzbuhel, Austria which is located about 100 miles from Munich. We've not yet been to Kitzbuhel, but it's on our to do list. It's a ski resort but I'd think it would be a nice place to visit around Christmas, even for non skiers. Sleigh rides come to mind -
the photos I've seen show an idyllic snow covered alpine town - my kind of place...

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:00 AM

I have been to Hallstat..amazing..you must go through montain tunnels to arrive at this, by the lake village. Lovely spot. I visited, had lunch etc.

re Xmas trip..I have skiied Austria, but after Xmas. Stayed in Kitzbuhel. I have also stayed in Zell-am-Zee and Vienna and many other places in Austria. Flew in/out of Munich..did all the sightseeing..
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:08 AM

We met our two grown children and one spouse in Garmisch for Christmas last year. Stayed in one place but took day trips. It was magical. See my report here entitled something like Winter Wonderland.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies, i'm getting lots of great ideas!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Also, what about Vienna? I've heard there's not a lot to do there that time of year. Should I expect snow?
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM

The Christmas Markets are famous for several reasons, but i especially like the hot spiced wine they serve there. Even in train stations in December i found the kiosks serving piping hot spice wine (can't think of the German name) - glugwein perhaps - but a special treat in the cool damp Munich train shed when, for a few euro i got a steaming cup of spice wine - only served around Christmas i believe. Lousy, oft dark dank weather, but the Christmas Markets make it special.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Gluhwein...good stuff.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

I've heard a lot about these christmas markets. Which cities have the best? Everyone says Salzberg's is supposed to be incredible.

Also, when looking for Air fares, other than Munich and Vienna (vienna's fares seem to be more expensive), where should I look. I've heard one can fly into Zurich. Is the drive bad? What about other major cities in the area?
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:28 PM

My recommendation is to start in Berlin, then take the train 2 hours to Dresden and then to Vienna or Prague.

Berlin is an incredible city with museums, good food, friendly people, good nitelife. Dresden is a beautiful smaller city that was rebuilt after the war. Also, Meissen is near with its wonderful porcelein. Vienna is beautiful and Prague is romantic.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Sounds great! I have checked all the airfares and have found it to be cheaper to fly into Munich. I wonder why that is, Berlin would seem like it should be cheaper as it is larger and it is the capital. Either way, I can always make it to Berlin. How is the Christmas atmosphere?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Regarding the Christmas markets - I like the markets in smaller towns, but that's just me. Garmisch-Partenkirchen usually has a nice one -I found it really festive, but not overly crowded. I've also been to the market in Berchtesgaden (really small), Rothenburg (small town, big market), Augsburg (great market, very crowded), Munich (huge market, very crowded) and a few Christmas markets in Switzerland. The Swiss markets are more sedate, but fun just the same.

We happened upon a few Christmas markets driving through small towns in Austria as well.

Just keep in mind that the markets in smaller towns tend to run only on the weekends or specific weekends, whereas the markets in the cities are pretty much open from late November until right before Christmas.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8, thanks for all the help!! I finally went ahead and booked my hotels. I'm flying into Munich, spending two days there. Then driving down to Innsbruck for 4 days, Salzburg for 4 days, Vienna for 3 days, and then back to Munich. I've planned it so i can take lots of little day trips in between and use those big cities as my base. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:36 AM

We spent last Christmas in the areas you are talking about. We started in Heidelburg then spent a couple of nights in Rothenburg, drove south to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein in the snow. It was breath taking. Then se spent a few days in Munich and ended up in Salzburg at Christmas. It was a great trip. The Christmas markets are fun but not the sole reason to go. Once you've seen one you will find more of the same at the next ones. The biggest ones are apparently in Nurenberg and Munich. Munich aslo has a crech market where you can buy everything you could possibly want for your manger scene. Our favorite Christmas market was in Reims France. The Gluewein is good as is the rum spiked hot chocolate.

There is a horse drawn sleigh ride organized out of Salzburg. Good winter fun. All over the Bavarian and Austrian alps you will find picturesque small towns, bautiful winter scenery and a wonderful experience.

Berchtesgaden is great, as is Oberammergau. We felt like Salzburg was really Christmas central. We had a hotel about a block from the cathedral and they started with the bells at about 5:30 am on Christmas day. The hotel room was vibrating with the sound. I had a vision of Quasimodo going up and down on the bell ropes.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Oops sorry, they start with the bells on Christmas eve morning (the 24th).
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Suggest that while you are in Innsbruck, you take the train to Hall in Tirol which is just a few kilometers east of Innsbruck. This was a major salt producing area for hundreds of years so the town was very prosperous. It actually has a larger "old town" than Innsbruck -- some very beautiful churches and lovely cobblestone streetsas well as a coin minting museum and salt mining museum. Enough for a nice day trip.

You can check it out at www.hallintirol.at. I think Rick Steves also has some info on Hall on his website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -