Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Catalonia Itinerary - Last Minute Trip

Oct 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Usually I have more time to do research and plan our trips, but we have the last minute opportunity to spend a week in Spain next week and I'm doing some serious last minute cramming! Here is our itinerary - still have some questions - hoping you all can help!

Sun am: Arrive Barcelona. Stay one night Hotel Jazz
Mon: Drive to Vic. Stay two nights at the paradore Vic-Sau.
Tues: Vic
Wed: Drive to Cardona. Stay two nights at the paradore in Cardona.
Thurs: Cardona
Fri: Barcelona spend one night Hotel 1898
Sat: Depart Barcelona late afternoon

We're thinking of shortening our stay in Cardona to one night and either adding an extra night in Barcelona for thurs night to plan a day trip to the Penedes wine region on Friday, or find a hotel near the vineyards for Thursday night. Any recommendations? Havng trouble finding much information.

Also, would really like to see Begur in Girona. Is that a possible day trip from Vic on Tuesday?

Anything we should make sure we don't miss while visiting these areas? Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated! Our first trip to Spain!
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Actually, I like your itinerary, especially cutting the stay in Cardona to only 1 night.

The Parador in Vic is a little isolated, but well worth it.

You can do a day-trip to Begur, but you may want to consider spending the night in the area and really enjoy your day. There are some excellent restaurants in the Begur and the city/village is very interesting.

I suggest you take a look at Maribel's Guide to Barcelona (http://maribelsguides.com)for a little more insight.

You might also read Iberian Traveler's newsletter for March 07 (http://iberiantraveler.com/it_newsletters.html)
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM

We just did a similar trip last spring and I wish I knew how you could access my trip report as it's quite detailed.

I agree with the only one night in Cardona, and you could add a night to Begur, which I like better than Vic.

If you do go to Vic, you should see Rupid, but really, I thought the area around Begur was even more wonderful, especially Pals, Girona, Empuries, and Peretallada, and Gala's home at Pubol.

Also, from Cardona, stop at Monserrat for the boys' choir at 1--take the funicular (park at the bottom).

And please report back.
Oct 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Robert and artlover for the quick response and great tips. I found Maribel's guide last night so I've printed that and it looks great. I'll take a look at the iberiantraveler and go in search of artlover's trip report.

Do you think one night barcelona, one night Begur, one night Vic, one night Cardona and then two nights Barcelona with a day trip to Penedes is too much? Still trying to map out driving times etc. so that I'm sure we have time to leisurely explore and not just be in the car the entire time.

Also, any recommendations on a day trip to Penedes area for wine tastings and/or a hotel to stay in that area? My husband has his heart set on this. Thanks so much for all the help!
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I just returned from a 2.5 week trip to Catalunya and visited both Begur and Vic.

I stayed at the NH hotel in Vic and really enjoyed this city. It's not very touristy and the food is incredible. For dinner I ate at the same restaurant 2 nights in a row:

Bassett Restaurant, C. Sant Sadurni, 4
They had a 18 euro menu which included a starter, main course, dessert, wine, water and bread available for lunch or dinner. For my starter I had coca (Catalan pizza) with escalivada, shrimp, asparagus and cheese. It was scrumptious. My main dish was bacalleo baked with aioli and served with a tomato sauce with a side of fried spinich. The fish melted in my mouth. It was so good. For dessert I had the traditional honey and cheese. I had this dessert several times during my trip (which could explain how I gained 5 pounds) and this was the best!

A good tapas restaurant in Vic is Dues Soles at Carrer Dues soles 6. They also have a decent menu for lunch. For 11 euros I had this spectatular lunch:
-creamy vegatable soup (my trip journal simply describes this as "to die for")
-vegetable crepe
-Butifara sausage in a pear sauce with side of potato - yummy and not too heavy
-homeade chocoate cake (served with a glass of champagne)
also included wine and bread

I stayed in Begur for 2 nights. It was a little sleepy- you could definately tell the high season had passed. However, it's a nice town and a good base for the area, particularly if you have a car. I loved Callela de Palafrugell and the walk to Llafranc!

I assume you've visited Barcelona previously and this is why you're not spending much time there.

Have you considered Girona with a daytrip to Besalu? You'd likely have to eliminate Cardona.