Search

Help with booking a one way flight from London to Australia, via America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with booking a one way flight from London to Australia, via America

Also posted on Air Travel and Australia forums -

Hi, I'm looking for help in trying to book a one way trip for myself and my husband, from London to Melbourne but via America (LAX?). If we fly via America, we get double the luggage allowance and as we are returning to live in Australia (our home) after living in the UK for a number of years, it would be great if we could take extra luggage with us. We'll still ship some stuff.

We have enough FF points with Virgin Atlantic to reach LAX but there are no flights available in August or September. From there we thought we could pay to fly to Melbourne with V Australia who are reasonably priced. As we can't use FF points, I checked airfares, but a one way ticket London to LAX with Virgin or British Airways is too expensive and if I key in a one way London to Melbourne, it goes via Asia, and we can only take one suitcase each.

Just wondering if I'm missing something or if someone has done a similar trip and can offer advice.

Thanks, Kay
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Mez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just checked on expedia.com.au and a London-MEL flight with a stopover in LA was only AUD1115 per person.

Either go to a travel agent for options or use sites like expedia, zuji et al to play around with options.

There have been some crazy, cheap airfares advertised for US-Aust flights in the last few months. Perhaps another idea is to buy a cheap one way to the US and buy a really cheap US-Aust return flight and just not use the return portion. Of course, this will mean your luggage does not go straight through to Melbourne.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. We don't want a stopover in LA, just want to fly that route. Anyone have ideas for a cheap one way London to the US?

It doesn't matter much if our luggage doesn't get checked all the way through to Melb, it's a bit more of a hassle but we can live with that.

Kay
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Did you look at Air New Zealand? www.airnewzealand.com

Lee Ann
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Check out round the world prices - it might just be cheaper, just don't check in for the last leg
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:51 AM

Hi Kay!

We need to do another walk before you guys go!

What about booking a round trip and just not using the return? I always find round trips cheaper on traditional airlines...
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ElendilPickle and sashh, I've checked Air NZ and just about every other airline I can think of, I think I'm driving myself nuts. Yet to make the big decision but it seems a return ticket would not be cheaper. Actually, thinking about it, I've checked prices on return tickets but not round-the-world, which are a bit different.

Hi Jamie, we'll definitely meet up before we go, don't know when though. Between work and going away every 5 mins (well it feels like it) life is busy! Take care.

Kay