Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Amsterdam, Stockholm, Berlin itinerary

Jan 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I am considering a trip in June that consists of 5 nights in Amsterdam, flying to Stockholm for 5 nights, then flying to Berlin for 5 nights. Does this sound reasonable? Will I have enought time in each city? Any feedback or suggestions will be very helpful.
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Totally reasonable. The AMS - ARN flight is only 2 hours, and the ARN - BER flight about 1.5 hours.

Taking 5 days for each city means that the 6 hour transfer between each city ( 2 + 2 + 2 hours representing travel to airport + flight + travel from airport won't leave you feeling exhausted by the end of the trip.

As for time in each city, I can speak to Amsterdam and Berlin - there is PLENTY to keep you busy. I have never been to Stockholm. You will get a pretty good feel for the place in 5 days and can do all the "highlights" at an easy pace while interspersing it with casual touring (translated as cafes, strolling, sitting, etc.)

If you want a big city tour of 3 distinct places, this is probably the best way to do it over a 15 day period.

Coming up - people who try to talk you out of doing this and think you should do it their way.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
kja

I agree that it is a reasonable plan. If I were to tweak it, I would add a day or so to Berlin (to have at least 5 full days there), but that really depends on what you want to see and experience. Enjoy!
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM

From one of my trip reports:

For my tours of Berlin I used Peter Fritzsche and Karen Hewitt's Berlinwalks, 1994. I did one new walk, which was the one of the Historic City Centre, and an old one entitled 'Experiments in Diversity', which is a tour of the Kreuzberg district. It is perhaps the best walking tour book I have ever read. It excels in combining the present with the history of a neighborhood, so that its current liveliness is a constant. It is still quite accurate 13 years after publication, although the Potsdamer Platz development did not exist when the book was written.

For what I saw mainly following the book, but taken over several trips:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623174831107/
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM

For relatively inexpensive accommodations in Stockholm, you might want to read my trip report; just click on my name to find it.
Jan 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM

If you are interested in history and wish to see some of the great museums and galleries in Berlin, you might take a
day from Stockholm and add to Berlin.
I have visited all 3 cities...( Berlin and Amsterdam more than once)
Stockholm is stunning, but it can be easily seen in 3 full days.
Jan 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM

It sounds reasonable on the surface sure but you say nothing about your plans for touring, shopping, etc.

You could EASILY spend an entire 5 days AND nights in Berlin alone and still have more to see and do. Sop, if you are willing to give us a little more info perhaps some people might actually be willing to recommend you spend more time in one or two of these places than in the third.
Jan 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thannks for some great suggestions. I will look into them. Here is more information about my interests. I will be travelling with my husband. We enjoy good food, cafes, beautiful towns and cities, exploring intesting neighborhoods, getting a taste of a different culture,and mingling with locals if posible.We enjoy museums of course, but do not want to spend so much time there at the expense of getting a feel for the life of a city.

Several people have suggested taking a day from Stockholm and adding it to Berlin. I am open to this but since we live in a big, bustling city I was thinking Stockholm, with its beauty, might be of more interest. But perhaps not. Feedback?
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Berlin wins on museums and history attractions, but Stockholm probably gets the nod for "feel" less hustle and bustle and certainly, it has "natural" beauty over Berlin.
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM

I have only been to Amsterdam (loved it) and would highly reccomend Maes B&B www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com as a place to stay. Great owners and location.

Tom

www.pbase.com/trsw/amsterdam2006