Help with a kid friendly itinerary

Old Apr 15th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with a kid friendly itinerary

There are 10 of us spending a week in London: 5 adults, and 5 kids. The kids are girls 7, 8, and 9; the boys 12 and 15(just had his birthday). All but one of the adults have previously visited London; this is a trip sponsored by DH and me(grandparents) with 2 sons, a daughter in law and 5 grandchildren.

We've rented 2 apartments on Drury Lane near Covent Garden. We've stayed in one of these before and like it for the location and amenities.

I have a list of "must do" activities but I'd love some input on a few things.

We're booked for the Harry Potter experience already and looking at the following:

British Museum to see mummies, Rosetta stone and a few other highlights.
Science Museum
Tower of London
Hampton Court Palace
Horse Guards Parade
Hop on Hop off bus to get an overview of interesting sights
Thames boat ride(comes with the ho ho ticket)
A meal in Chinatown
Borough Market(or similar)

I'm thinking of getting memberships to the Historic Royal Palaces, which would cover the tower and Hampton court, and allow us in to Kensington Palace and a quick look at Banqueting house.

The other things on the maybe list:
V&A Museum of Childhood--worth the 50 minute trek?
Cabinet War rooms or Imperial War Museum London
National Gallery
Natural History Museum

The kids have grown up going to museums with DH and me; we know to keep it short, sweet and give them a few high points to search for.
I appreciate comments on the items on my maybe list, and thoughts for a group this size.
Thanks,
Barb
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
All look good -- I'd skip the H-o-H-o bus though. For ten of you it will cost a FORTUNE and would be pretty boring for anyone who has been to London before and REALLY boring for the younger kids.

Consider the Museum of London, the Eye, Covent Garden for the buskers and the Transport Museum (and right on your doorstep), a day trip to Greenwich and maybe Mudchute Farm/park.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 08:52 AM

I can't speak to traveling with a large group, but we were in London last month with our almost 7 year-old. We visited both the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum and I would highly recommend the Science Museum, but not the Natural History Museum. I felt the presentation of the displays in the NHM was very dry and could not hold our son's attention at all. The Science Museum was done very nicely, with displays geared to various ages, and we spent several hours there and still didn't see it all.

One thing not on your list that was one of the highlights of our trip was visiting the Cutty Sark in Greenwich.

Harry Potter was another highlight. So glad you are going. It's very well done and we spent about 4 hours there as there is so much to see.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention - and janisj beat me to it - the Museum of London was brilliant. We spent hours there. We all loved it!
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:03 AM

We were in London with my granddaughter when she was eight years old. One of the big highlights for her was the fashion collection at the V&A Museum. They even had things that kids could try on.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, it's always helpful to get input from Fodorites.

After reading the comments, I've definitely decided to scratch the Natural History museum from our list; I visited several years ago and I remember I wasn't all that impressed.

Assuming weather cooperates, we will go to Greenwich, which seems to offer a variety of experiences for all ages. It will be a new experience for me and DH as well.

I'm leaving the ho-ho on the list for now with the option of changing our minds later. Frankly, I always enjoy the chance to sit back and ride by some worthwhile sights, without trying to get off everywhere. We have printed vouchers from Days Out that give a pretty good price with our paper 7 day travelcards that we'll buy at Charing Cross Station on our first afternoon.

I'm still curious to know if V&A's Museum of Childhood is worth adding to the list.

I'm also looking for input on the Imperial War Museum or the Cabinet War Rooms; maybe we'll split up with the guys going there while the girls go to Kensington Palace.. I'll read a little more on the London Museum since it is not something I've done before.

I've been on The London Eye both day and night, but that may be something that part of our group would enjoy.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. The kids and grandkids are looking forward to a great time in London!
Barb
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't just do "museums" and such with children. Also try to take time out to go to a playground with a bunch of the younger kids, take the oldest boy shopping for trainers or a cool t shirt or something. For instance, you might want to take your gang of children to swimming pool for instance, or let them roam free with lunch after, on Hamstead Heath.

For instance, the Peter Pan playground in Kensington Gardens is quite good. My son has always liked going on one of the fast ferry catamarans on the Thames in the evening. We've also ridden the #15 bus a good number of times, on the top deck, up front if we could make it, have done picknick dinners at food truck stands.

I've taken my son to London ever since he was 6. Back then, his favourite memories were walking through Hyde Park to the Science Museum. The polar exhibition at the Science Museum itself, riding on buses, going swimming, observing planes pushing off at Heathrow. He's 20 now, we still go together, he hasn't seen too many museums from the inside, but he has fond memories all over London.

Also consider not doing everything as a group, but for instance splitting up the girls and the boys and taking the boys to something boy friendly, if only just to watch the skateboarding beneath the National Theatre on Southbank. I did take my son to the Tate Modern a few times, because usually the installations in the Turbine Hall are very interesting and make for direct engagement with the art.

(I must admit I took my son for an art installation by Jake and Dino Chapman once, it used to be in the Imperial War Museum, but then was in the Serpentine Gallery. He was very impressed, but later admitted it was the weirdest thing he had ever seen. He was 15 then)

All in all: all good suggestions on your list, but if I were a child on this trip, I'd get museum overdose and I'd want to do other fun things. And: split up, then meet over lunch or dinner to tell each other where you've been.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 11:07 PM

Hampstead Heath of course.... correcting.
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Peter Pan playground in Kensington Gardens
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Hi!

I just returned from a week in London with my 12 & 15 year old sons - I've posted *most* of my trip report (one more day to go!). Some points based on what's already have said:

*I second and third the "no" on the Natural History Museum. My opinion is colored by how crowded it was the day we went (a Saturday), but aside from a couple of unusual pieces, the crowds and the confusion resulting from the renovations they are currently doing made it a "30 minutes and we're done" experience.

*The Churchill War Rooms are great, but be sure to buy tickets ahead if you can - they have controlled entrances because the space is small and cramped. But I would also probably not take a huge group and it would be of most interest to those who have an interest in history or are open-minded about learning history.

*We did a day trip to Greenwich was was wonderful - include the water taxi out there and back.

Have a great time!