A guide to Skåne - Southern Sweden.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The region of Skåne (or as it is sometimes known in English - 'Scania') is a pretty patchwork of fields with a scattering of interesting towns and cities. Surrounded by water on three sides, the area has a distinct maritime feel. I visited Sweden's third biggest city Malmo, and the smaller cultural hub of Lund, home to the impressive Lund cathedral.

A full review of my trip can be found in my blog post in the link below, along with some pictures I took on the trip.

http://elistravelsite.blogspot.co.uk...ne-sweden.html

Thank you for reading!
Elis
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM

I hardly think this is a blog about Skåne, its a blog about Malmö and Lund. You will not have experienced much of Skåne if you just visit those 2 places. Malmo is virtually a suburb of Copenhagen. You would have a got a different feel of Skåne if you had crossed into Sweden from Helsingor on the ferry to Helsingborg and would not be saying that there is a distinctive Danish feeling in Southern Sweden, which is not a comment that either Danes or Swedes would like to hear.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry if this comment caused any offence - it was more an observation about the architecture rather than the cultures of the two countries. I would love to see more of this very pretty region, and wish I had booked a longer trip. I appreciate your feedback, and will indeed make the crossing between Helsingborg and Helsingor on my next trip! Elis
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 08:29 AM

We spent some time in that area in the 1980s, and it's indeed very pretty. I was visiting a friend who was a professor at the University of Lund, and she took us for some drives in the countryside. However, we also traveled around ourselves by bus and ferry. At that time there was a pass you could buy that covered transportation in a limited area of both Denmark and Sweden, as well as several ferry crossings.