Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arhus, Copenhagen, Helsingor - Ferry or Freeway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever taken the ferry from Arhus, Denmark, on Jutland, to Odden or Kalundburg on Zealand? If so, was it a pleasant addition to your trip?

(This is a follow up to another thread you may recognize, but since I wanted to focus attention on the ferry option, I'm posting a separate thread.)

We will be traveling by car from Copenhagen to Arhus, Denmark, on May 10, to spend 3 days. According to Mappy and Viamichelin, the drive takes about 3.5 hours, over the new bridge.

On our return to Copenhagen from Arhus (probably stopping on our way back from Arhus), we planned to stop at Roskilde (to see the cathedral and possibly the Viking Ship Museum), before continuing on to drop off our car at Kastrup and train in to our hotel. Then, possibly the next day, we planned to take the train to Hillerod and Helsingor (Fredriksborg and Kronborg castles), with a stop on the way back to Copenhagen at Louisiana museum.

However, I'm wondering if it would make a more interesting trip to scrap that plan in favor of this: Instead of driving over the bridge, take the fast ferry from Arhus to Oden (65 minutes, at 75 euros for a "Red Ticket&quot, driving on for a stop at Roskilde, and then continuing on to Hillerod, Helsingor, and Louisiana, finally dropping off the car at the airport at the end of the day before finally training to our Hotel in Copenhagen.

The ferry seemed surprisingly expensive to me, but we'd save on petrol, compared to the longer freeway trip and we'd save the approximately $32 toll on the new bridge (toll fee per www.viamichelin.com). We'd also save on train fares to Helsingor, etc., for the two of us. My only concern is that we might be somewhat pressed for time, compared to taking that portion of the trip separately the a different day.

What are your thoughts? Do you have experience with the fast ferry to Odden from Arhus? Is it a pleasant trip that might add to our experience? Or should we stick to the freeway and train option, splitting it over two days?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM

We took the fast ferry from Aarhus to whatever stop it is on the island of Zealand, then we switched to the bus (which we boarded on the ferry) that took us for about a 45-minute ride to the Valby station in Copenhagen. Then we took the train for a few minutes into central Copenhagen.

I liked the fast ferry ride, but it was very rainy and foggy so I couldn't see much, but I still liked the idea of being out on the North Sea. Hardly anyone on the ferry took the opportunity to go on deck - I was one of the few . I wasn't the slightest bit uncomfortable during the ferry ride. As I recall, we took this option in part because it was a bit cheaper than the train (of course we hadn't a car), but also because it was a slightly different experience.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, WillTravel. this is not the first time I've benefited from your advice in planning our time in Denmark!

Any other Denmark ferry travelers out there with any experience to share?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM

you could also lengthen the trip 3 days and go to the island of areo i probalby spleeed it wrong but its a winner.

Val
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Val. In a perfect world ....
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM
hsv

It's the Baltic Sea, not the North Sea, though!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

hsv, are you in cahoots with the nuns at St. Al's gradeschool, who tried valiantly but without success, to teach me geography?

Well, if so, I get the last laugh on you and the nunnies, because you are wrong.

The body of water between Arhus and Odden (or any place in northern Zealand) is the Kattegat, which, according to Wikipedia, "...is a bay of the North Sea and a continuation of the Skagerrak, bounded by Denmark and Sweden. The Baltic Sea drains into the Kattegat through the Oresund and the Danish Straits."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattega.../wiki/Kattegat

If you look at that link, you will see that the Baltic is below and on the other side of Zealand.

Checkmate, friend. I believe the only recourse for your at this point is to prostrate yourself before Walkinaround, admit the grave error of your ways, and pledge never again to question anything Walkinaround posts.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
hsv

MaryFran,

sorry, I guess I have just learned a lesson. So far I presumed that everything East of Skagerrak was part of the Baltic Sea. Now I see it's not and I am blushing.

Anyway I have taken ferries in Denmark and I have alswys enjoyed them as a means of travel that slows me down a bit, makes me relax by taking a deep breath of fresh air and gives me a feeling that I am much farther away from things than I actually am. I'd therefore always opt for the ferry.

And thanks again for clearing up a lifelong misconception!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
hsv

P.S.: What does Walkinaround have got to do with this?
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:39 AM
hsv

And finally: Will, I <b>do</b> apologize to you, too - and will better verify my information the next time!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:09 AM
hsv

Well, this one really bugs me:

The English wikipedia page quoted here appears to be the only one claiming that the Kattegat is part of the North Sea.
(Not) surprisingly, the German wikipedia site lists the Kattegat as being part of the Baltic Sea (&quot;Ostsee&quot.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattegat

Sea maps of the Kattegat come up in the &quot;Ostsee&quot; section of the Federal Bureau of Navigation and Hydrography.

http://www.bsh.de/de/Produkte/Karten...r-Ozean605.jsp

So after all, this leaves some room for the assumption that my comment wasn't so wrong after all.
I hereby stand by my apologies that my initial remark was a bit wise-cracking (the awareness of which I tried to indicate by inserting that smiley), but it cannot be ruled out that it did have some substance.

Long live the nuns!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, shoot! I had visions of being able to step on your back as you lay prostrate and beat my chest while doing my Tarzan yell of victory, but now I just don't know ..

Maybe the nunnies win afterall, as they did force me to learn more geography than I thought I had a mind to.

I'll look forward to seeing you on the ferry deck, hsv. I'll be the mysterious lovely scandinavian-looking creature. You may think, &quot;Ingrid Bergman?&quot; But, no, it will be me.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
hsv

Wow Mary, I may well become a regular on that ferry deck !
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Sort of funny to see the geographical issue arise. Encyclopedia Britannnica says that the Kattegat is an arm of the North Sea, connecting the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. I would take this to mean that when traversing the Kattegat, you are on the North Sea. But perhaps other sources have other opinions?

Mary_Fran, I seem to remember that you mentioned lard and sugar sandwiches on some thread or another. If you visit Den Gamle By in Aarhus, you will be able to walk through a reconstructed village and at one point you will likely be offered a piece of dark rye bread with lard and salt on it.

When we were at Helsingor, we saw the old castle, which was quite interesting (and also the Maritime Museum, I think, which was somewhat less so).