Copenhagen - Hamburg by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going from Copenhagen to Hamburg in May and wanted to take the train that included the ferry between Rødby & Puttgarden. The tracks are being repaired during our travel time, resulting in the train options being: going from Copenhagen to Fredericia (bypassing the ferry ride) to Hamburg; or taking a bus from Copenhagen (train station) to Rodby, ferry ride and then train to Hamburg (less than 2 hours).Has anyone taken the bus/ferry/train ... sounds like a major inconvenience; though maybe offset by the ferry ride experience??
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 06:43 AM

I’ve been on the ferry many times between Rødby & Puttgarden, there’s nothing to see except the sea, takes 45mins. I would suggest flying in view of the issues you’ve highlighted.

Old Feb 24th, 2019, 08:19 AM

The bus goes right to the ferry and though locals like Odin may think it's not exceptional for me it always was - Buses leave every two hours and then direct after ferry to Hamburg in total time of 5 hours. Book at www.bahn.de/en - early for discounts vs full fare. For lots of train info check www.seat61.com - sage tips on booking own tickets for discounts; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com,
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 02:58 PM

When the track work involved is finished trains will start running right up to the boat and off at other end. 2nd class passengers have to take things off trains and carry luggage to boat and then to train at other end. But IME and you can check timetables to see if this is so year - 1st class train cars are driven right onto and of the ferries so you stuff remains on the train though and IME you can stay in the train cars thought most go up top if for nothing more than to buy duty-free stuff.