Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a ferry ride from Copenhagen to Sweden worth it? Leaving in 3 weeks!

Oct 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for reading my question, I'll be in Copenhagen for 6 days in three weeks. I've never been in that area at all so I'm hoping to see as much as I can and still enjoy myself.
I was hoping to get to Stockholm but that plan seems to be fading fast (per travel partner) so I was wondering about taking the ferry over to Sweden.
The question is this: Is it worth the trip in the respect that will Sweden at that location be much different than Denmark? If it is going to be like changing neighborhoods, time might be better spent in another town in Copenhagen?

Your thoughts?
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM

If you go to Malmo is will be about the same but streets will be EVEN cleaner and prices on everything will have seemed to have doubled. I'd go to Lund, 20 minutes from Malmo by train as this is a neat old city with a neat old cathedral and a neat vibrant university - one of few towns i've seen in Scandinavia with a real old-world feel and look.

Ferries to Malmo i think have pretty much reduced when the new Oresund Bridge-Tunnel rail and road route was opened - trains now only take about 25 minutes and the view from the top of the bridge sweeps over the whole Sound.

There are some direct trains Copenhagen to Lund.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

There are no ferries any more from København to Malmö. You can get the train to Helsingør then get a ferry to Helsingborg, or do a round trip: København-Malmö-Lund-Helsingborg by train, ferry to Helsingør then train to København, or vice versa. You need to read about these places to decide whether you want to go there.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've just caught wind of something called an "Air-Ride"? Sounds like a huge hover-craft that gives day trips from CPH up to the Stockholm area and all on a boat that hovers above the water(information was from someone who went 3 years ago)

Any one know anything about this?
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM

CPH-Stockholm day trips by boat? No way, it is 600 kilometres one way.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM

You can also get the 99 bus from Copenhagen to Malmo. It has about the same scenery as the train and I believe that it's cheaper. We took the bus rather than the train for two reasons: the bus stop was only about three blocks from our hotel, and the bus drops you right in the center of town. So, depending on convenience, either the train or bus. Once you get to Malmo you could then continue on to Lund if that's what you decide to do. If you don't want to spend any time in Malmo, then probably the train would be best because then you could continue from Malmo to Lund if that's what you decide to do...you'd be right at the train station. You could also google both those towns and see if they interest you. I was in Malmo for a day over the holidays but it was a "relax, wander aound and shop" kind of day, so no site seeing involved. Have not been to Lund.