Help with 8 days trip in Slovenia

Jul 1st, 2019, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Help with 8 days trip in Slovenia

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Slovenia during the last week of August for 8 days. Here is my initial plan, please take a look and let me know what do you think!

Day 01: Ljubljana
Day 02: Ljubljana
Day 03: Pick car rental and go to:
  • Škocjan Caves
  • Predjama Castle
  • I assume the caves and the castle will probably take around 5 hours only and since I will have a car so I was thinking to head to Piran to check the city, have dinner and sunset there
  • Head to Bled to spend the night. This might seem too much for a day but I don't mind driving at night if it's safe and there shouldn't be much traffic anyway.
Day 04: Lake Bled and the island
Day 05: Do the Vintgar gorge early then head to Lake Bohinj, then head back to bled to spend the night
Day 06: Hiking one stage of the Alpe Adria Trail
Day 07: Hiking another stage of the Alpe Adria Trail or the 7 lakes in Triglav National Park, sleep in Bovec
Day 08: Do some kayaking or rafting in the Soca River, then head to Kobarid to Hike the Kobarid Historical Trail. Head back to Ljubljana to spend the night and leave the following morning

I had a question regarding the hikes:
  1. The sections of the Alpe Adria Trail, for those of you who hiked the trail which sections do you recommend in the area? I was thinking to hike Kranjska Gora to Trenta and Trenta to Bovec sections .
  2. Should I do just one section of the Alpe Adria Trail and spend the the other day doing the Seven Lakes hike in Triglav?
  3. I am open to other hiking suggestion if there are better options.

Also, I am a bit confused about the logistics of the hike. If I hike the Kranjska Gora to Trenta section, I will probably start @ Kranjska Gora, this hike is about 12.8 miles, so it will take a full day, so after I finish the hike in Trenta, how can I get back to my car? Are there frequent buses or I will have to take a taxi.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot
Jul 1st, 2019, 06:45 PM
kja

Originally Posted by giicko View Post
Day 03: Pick car rental and go to:
  • Škocjan Caves
  • Predjama Castle
  • I assume the caves and the castle will probably take around 5 hours only and since I will have a car so I was thinking to head to Piran to check the city, have dinner and sunset there
  • Head to Bled to spend the night. This might seem too much for a day but I don't mind driving at night if it's safe and there shouldn't be much traffic anyway.
The problem, as I see it, is that you would be missing the scenery en route, which is stunning. Personally, I'd skip Piran, or visit it just briefly to make sure I reached Bled before sunset. JMO.
Jul 1st, 2019, 07:50 PM

Bled is also an easy day trip from Ljubljana so you could just base another night in Ljubljana if you preferred. What time of year are you going? I am asking since we were there in spring and it was already pretty busy at Bled so it might be worth just making it a day trip and not having to find a hotel and change hotels etc.
Jul 1st, 2019, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja View Post
The problem, as I see it, is that you would be missing the scenery en route, which is stunning. Personally, I'd skip Piran, or visit it just briefly to make sure I reached Bled before sunset. JMO.
Hi Kja,

Thanks again for your input!

I have been tweaking my itinerary to include more scenic rides, so here is what I was thinking:
Day 01, 02 & 03 will be the same, except I will go back to Ljubljana to spend the night
Day 04: Drive from Ljubljana to Bled passing thru Škofja Loka and some of the towns on route, this drive will probably take around half the day then the second half will be in Bled.
Jul 1st, 2019, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpie View Post
Bled is also an easy day trip from Ljubljana so you could just base another night in Ljubljana if you preferred. What time of year are you going? I am asking since we were there in spring and it was already pretty busy at Bled so it might be worth just making it a day trip and not having to find a hotel and change hotels etc.
Hi jpie,

Thanks for your post, I will be in Slovenia starting August 21st. I need to change bases, because I will day trip to lake Bohinj and also the Vintgar gorge, then will drive to Bovec passing by the Vrsic pass. All these are closer and faster to reach from Bled.

I was hoping that the last week of August won't be as busy as the rest of the summer months!
Jul 1st, 2019, 08:35 PM
kja

Remember that the castle closes and the pletnas stop running, so if those are priorities for Day 04, plan accordingly!
Oct 9th, 2019, 12:40 PM

Could you post some details of your trip please? We are thinking of planning a similar trip in 2020. Thanx
Oct 10th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edkelly View Post
Could you post some details of your trip please? We are thinking of planning a similar trip in 2020. Thanx
Hi edkelly,

Ljubljana was a very beautiful country, I ended up staying 10 days in Slovenia, I had a car for 8 days out of the 10. Here is how it went:
Day 01: Ljubljana (no need for car)
Day 02: Ljubljana
​​​​​​​Day 03: Pedjama castle and postojna caves
Day 04: Logar Valley
Day 05: Logar Valley
Day 06: Passed by Jezersko lake, Skofja Loka & Jamnik, then Bled
Day 07: Bled
Day 08: Vintgar Gorge, Tromeja Hike (tripple border hike Slovenian, Italian & Austrian), then drove to Bovec for the night (this day was supposed to be spent at Lake Bohinj but when I went the weather was really bad)
Day 09: Rafting in the Soca River then Kobarid
Day 10: Sometime in Bovec and went to check some world war barracks near Bovec, drove over the Vrsic pass then drove back to Ljubljana

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions