Help with 3-4 Day Sicily Itinerary

Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:59 AM
sally

Help with 3-4 Day Sicily Itinerary

I am planning a trip to Rome this fall and would like to fly to Sicily and spend a few days there. From what I've read it sounds like there is a lot to see in Palermo but I'd like to go elsewhere as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 day itinerary? Since I know it is a large island, I don't want to spend the whole trip driving but I'd still like to see something besides Palermo. I plan to return to Sicily for a longer trip so I don't need to go at a frenetic pace. Any suggestions as to places to go, where to stay, eat, etc. are welcome. Also, I'm not that worried about my safety but I would like to know if any specific place is particularly unsafe as I could easily skip it.
Grazie!

Jul 4th, 2001, 02:45 PM
fiona

sorry I can't help with your question but hope someone else can now it's back at the top!!!!

Jul 4th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Mike

I have heard from numerous sources that Taormina is beautiful. Close to Catania and one of the only true resort areas. Hotel Villa Ducale and Palace San Domenico (may be a little $$$ for PSD) both come highly recommended. I am planning to try it out next year.

Jul 4th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Kathy

I would include Cefalu, an hours train ride from Palermo. I was there last September. It has limited hotel/pension rooms and would therefore highly recommend a reservation.

Jul 5th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Maria

We were in Sicily this past May. We stayed two nights in Taormina, one night in Enna, and three nights in Palermo. We loved everything in Sicily. Taormina is beautiful with Greek influences and the ancient Greek theatre. Be sure to drive up to Castelmola and over to Giardini Naxos where we had the best mussels at a little restaurant at the end of the pier called Angelina's. Enna was a small town we just happened upon on our way to Palermo. Built on a mountain-top with an old Castle which was used to guard the town from invaders. Stayed at the only hotel in town which offered a great view of the town and mountains and Mt. Etna and the rates were very reasonable ($80/nite). Palermo is ineresting as well, especially when you see the carbinieri guarding homes with automatic weapons in hand. Make sure to see the Vuccieria.
These were our picks for our limited time in Sicily, but we're going back soon, because I feel we missed so much. Have fun no matter where you go! Oh, and try to avoid driving in Palermo -- what a catastrophe!

Jul 6th, 2001, 03:22 AM
francesco

Hi,
I think that your idea to stay in Palermo is right: don't spend 4 days driving...
Choose a hotel in Palermo, stay 2 days exploring the city, 3rd day goto Agrigento (2 hrs drive), 4th day Erice + Segesta (1,5 hrs drive).
To see all these places, goto
http://www.mediterraneo.it
it could be helpful for your choice