london to paris

Jul 5th, 2001, 04:22 PM
stan

london to paris

we were told to use "chunnel crossing" rather than fly. anyone out there have any input to share? we are staying in millenium hotel, paris. any recommendations re that hotel?

Jul 5th, 2001, 04:35 PM
dana

We just arrived back last week from Italy and London. While in London, we took a day trip to Paris on the chunnel. My sister went ahead and bought first-class tickets (110 pounds each) and we really enjoyed that. We had a meal served each way that included champagne. The seating had four seats to a table. Very enjoyable and easily accessible. Ask about the meals - breakfast was supposed to be served on our 10:00 a.m. route, but we were served lunch instead.

Jul 5th, 2001, 04:36 PM
dana

By the way, I was quoting round-trip costs per person.

Jul 5th, 2001, 05:13 PM
elvira

The Eurostar (the chunnel train) is the only way to go. Yes, you can sometimes find cheap flights between the cities, but when you add in the cost of transportation to and from the airports, the extra time you spend in the airport for checking in, and the annoyance of checking luggage, the cheapness quickly fades.

One way tickets are expensive, so buy a r/t (advanced purchase, weekend turnarounds, etc. are the cheapest. Check www.eurostar.co.uk for the prices) and throw away the return. I've only traveled second class, which is perfectly fine, but friends tell me first class is wonderful, just as dana pointed out.

Jul 5th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Meg

The Chunnel crossing 1st class is the absolute! A very kind steward showed us to the 1st class car (I'm sure, by mistake), our 1st time on the Eurostar/Chunnel crossing. The train travels very fast once out in the open ---I think it can go 180 mph. The dinner is served very elegantly on white linen with china, nice stemware & champagne. The meal, except for the salmon which I didn't care for, was the best!!! What a nice surprise. Since then, we have purchased several ligit 1st class tickets.

Have a great time! There are some things you will always remember---a gondola ride in Venice, dinner on New Year's @ the Eiffel Tower, etc. The best in life is to enjoy it fully!

Jul 6th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Tracy

Hi Stan,

Is that the Millennium, on rue Jacob in the 6th?

Thanks
T