Help with 10 Day Ireland Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are visiting Ireland this May and are taking our 11th month (will be at the time we leave) with us. Not sure if we are crazy taking a baby, but we will find out. Nonetheless, I have been reading many forums and blogs and would love to get input. I understand the drive time in Ireland can be longer than expected, so I am trying to be conscious of that. Any advice would be great! Or if we missed something that would be worth the visit, please let me know!

Day 1- Arrive in Dublin
​​​​​​Get our bearings, grab a bite to eat, call it early.

Day 2 - Dublin In no order: Temple Bar, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Guinness Storehouse, hop on/hop off bus tour, if time book of Kells. Is the Jameson Distillery worth a visit or is the one close by waterford better?

Day 3- Rent Car Drive to Kilkenny- have lunch
Rock of Cashel
Blarney Castle
Stay in Cork?

Day 4- Drive to Killarney - home base for a few days Kinsane Dog Sheep Farm
Killarney National Park

Day 5- Drive to DingleExplore Peninsula
Thought about booking a cruise
*We wanted to do Skellig, however, after reading the reviews on how rocky the water can be, we didn't think it was the right time to go with since we have the baby.
Stay the night again in Killarney

Day 6- Golf Day- husband is a huge golfer, we cannot go anywhere without play a round
Playing a links course somewhere by Dingle I believe?
Stay night in Killarney **Would it make sense to combine Day 5 and 6 together? Granted golf is at least a solid 4 hour commitment. My husband and I are quick movers. We tend to get to the place, take the photo and go find a local pub to enjoy.

Day 7- Cliffs of Moher
Here is where I get lost- Is it worth a trip to Bunratty Castle, visit Burren,Limerick?
We had planned to stay in Galway if that makes sense?

Day 8 &9 - We are camped out at the K Club. (Another husband bucket list item)

Day 10- We head back to Dublin and fly out

When I had originally planned this out, I thought about staying 2 nights in Galway and eliminating the 3rd night in Killarney. What would those who have been here do?
I did have interest in seeing Ashford Castle and thought about Aran Islands. I know the Islands are a full day so not sure if we have time. As for Ashford castle, didn't know if the juice was worth the squeeze to go see it.
Again, any input would be great! We are not big museum people, so the likelihood of us spending hours at one place is unlikely. We really want to enjoy and see Ireland, experience the food and culture. We are huge foodies and tend to sway that direction more so than not.
Thank you all for your help! Any tips on traveling with a baby is also much appreciated as well
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:15 AM

I would say the Jameson distillery is definitely worth it. My husband and I did many distillery tours while we were in Dublin and the jameson was our favorite. They also have a good restaurant attached to the place with decent food.

Killarney was a really cool city. We did horseback riding through the National park and it was a lot of fun. We actually drove the Gap of Dunloe, which is right by Killarney, and it was seriously the highlight of our trip. Literally breath taking views. I don’t think it’s generally recommended to drive it yourself because it’s basically a one car road, very windey, and what not. But we went in March and there was hardly anyone these so we gave it a shot. Soooo glad we did.

You bring up Ashford Castle and being interested to go. I would HIGHLY recommend making time for this on your trip. Seriously such an amazing experience. There isn’t much in the city it is located in and it’s a little out of the way but so worth it. We stayed here for one night. (My husband actually proposed here.) They have a falconry experience and if that isn’t on the bucket list you need to add it. Such a unique experience that I’ll remember forever. Not sure where else in the world you could do this. It was just my husband and I and our tour guide and felt like a personal experience. The owls are awesome to work with. I can’t remember how much it was but I don’t think it was outrageous and even if it is a splurge, highly recommend it.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 06:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I am doing Jameson in Midleton where they really make it. Midleton is not a bad place to spend the night btw. We are staying in Ballycotton 14 miles south on the water. There is a pitch and putt course there. Great seafood and views. Ballymaloe cooking school, organic farm, inn and restaurant close by also. Lahinch would be my pick for golf. You could spend the day walking around town and maybe the beach while he golfs. Great surfing there.

Galway with a stop in Doolin for lunch after seeing the cliffs. You will enjoy walking around with the baby there. The Aran island ferries have an office in Galway. You go to Rosseveal for the ferry to Inishmor. It is my favourite island and Clare is a close second. The ferry is bigger so less motion. Seals, beautiful cliffs, the fort and eat at Teach Nan Phaidi Cafe before climbing up to see the fort. It has won awards for best cafe and it is very good. You can rent bikes or take a tour from one of the many people waiting as you get off the ferry. Well worth it. I am finally taking my husband to Inishmor in May. I normally go with my girlfriends. Are you bringing a stroller or putting the baby in a pack? You'd really could do both but hiking up to see the fort you should have a pack. I have nieces and they don't let the babies slow them down. She was a bit worried about the first long flight but being night she slept fine. Have fun and enjoy.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I forgot to add no to Bunratty castle. I would rather visit the Burren and see the Poulnabrone dolmen portal tomb.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 01:29 AM

Regarding golf on Day 6, there are two 18 hole tracks on offer at Killarney GC which offer a fair golfing challenge; the Irish Open has been held there in the past. If you are driving, you could do worse things with the five hour time window than head south over the mountains to Glengarriff and make the short trip over to Garnish Island.
As an alternative, you could lose a night in Killarney and motor up to Lahinch for golf - leaving you free to explore the Cliffs of Moher for the afternoon. Staying in the locality that night would leave the option of a day trip from Doolin to the Aran Islands on Day 7 or else push on to Galway and explore there, taking in the Burren en route.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 06:25 AM

Jameson is distilled in a suburb of Cork, mentioned above as Midelton. I agree that tour is both picturesque and informative. Consider taking a suburban bus from central Cork. Respond quickly if a tasting is offered at the end of the tour. It will offer samples from the catalogue of Pernod-Ricard, the corporate owner.
https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-US...llery-midleton
If you are up to it on your day of arrival, you might take the hop-on hop-off bus tour that afternoon. It provides useful orientation to the city. It is not, however, much use for day-to-day transport as the coach is slowed down by the crowds hopping on and off at the stops in the centre of the city.
The Guinness brewery tour, like Jameson in Dublin, is an "interpretive" experience rather than part of the working factory. It is confined to an old warehouse, with historical material and assorted video presentations (and of course a huge gift shop.) A glass observation deck on top gives a great view of the city -- in good weather -- and working bar. The stiff admission price includes a single pint of the brown stuff. I preferred a small pub on a lower floor where I took a hands-on seminar to pour the perfect pint. But no refills. Of course, the perfect pint of Guinness is the one in your mouth.
https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en?msclkid=6bd84bb310061cf9d63f17ff6b8e153d&utm_so urce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WG%20-%20Brand%20CA%20%5BEnglish%5D&utm_term=%2Bguinness %20%2Bdublin&utm_content=guinness%20dublin

For any tourism involving alcohol in Ireland, you should check ahead, perhaps via e-mail, to see if children are admitted.

Last edited by Southam; Jan 26th, 2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Itinerary looks good.
I would try to stay a night in Kenmare - great music in the pubs at night..

YOu might want to try to work in a day on the Connemara Peninsula .

Also, try driving the ring of Kerry before heading into DIngle.